PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

DelayedPenalty
07-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Hello,

My name is Ryan, I'm 25, from Michigan and I have generalized anxiety disorder, as well as social anxiety. I was diagnosed around this time last year a few months before my wedding. At the time I figured that the added stress and anxiety was natural, so I was hesitant to seek professional help. Eventually I got to the point where I couldn't function from day to day without having severe symptoms like chest pains, heart palpitations, cold sweats, etc. I finally decided to talk to my doctor. At the time I was prescribed Zoloft, a very low dose, but it seemed to help.

After the wedding I decided to stop taking it and see how things went. I figured there wasn't any reason to continue on the medicine now that my big stress was over. I quickly realized that it wasn't just the wedding that was troubling me, but things like hanging out with friends, being away from home for even just 1 night, work, etc. would send me into an anxiety attack. Following that I went back on the Zoloft and after getting readjusted I spoke to my doctor about increasing my dose. I experienced a lot of side effects which counteracted the help I was getting, making me anxious about the symptoms I was feeling and totally defeating the purpose of the medication. We decided to go back down to my original dose.

A few months ago my doctor left the practice which then sent me into another anxious outburst because he and I had developed a rapport. My new doctor is fantastic, and she seems very understanding of my situation and well-being.

In May I experienced my first panic attack. I was traveling with my wife to a cousin's wedding, staying with friends I hadn't seen since my wedding. In addition I had just taken on some additional responsibilities at work. We were sitting in a traffic jam and I suddenly became panicked. My palms began to sweat, my throat got very try and felt like it was closing up, my heart was racing and I was hyperventilating. I was able to make it through the weekend without another episode.

When I got home I spoke to my doctor and we decided to bump up my dose. Again, after a few weeks I was experiencing side effects that were counteracting any benefit I was feeling from the medicine.

I have been on Paxil now for a little under a month and it seems to be helping so far. I'm so glad I found this forum and have people who are understanding of my feeling. My parents don't really get it, why I can't just "calm down". My wife, although sometimes not understanding as well, has been very supportive of me as I go through this process of getting to a place where I feel "normal" again.

I look forward to hearing from you, and reading your stories as well.

Rockeej
07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi, i am a 40 year old massage therapist who has recently developed panic attack disorder. It started suddenly while driving, with my son in the car, 4 months ago ( two weeks before my 40 th birthday). It was the most horrifying experience and for a month after that I have had difficulty driving and had severe nausea after eating on top of the list of other symptoms. I went to my PCP and he gave me .25 mg alprazolam and started my on 50 mg. Zoloft. I have been on a crazy roller coaster ride with this. I am just trying to get a grip on how to be manageable until this cycle is broken. I am a laid back, easygoing person with an awesome profession (so NOT stressful). I feel like most of the time, my body is freaking out inside all of my waking hours. This makes sleep my best friend. I have just started acupuncture and am trying to get my hormones under control since my cycles make me feel much worse. I have sought spiritual counseling and am looking into a yoga class. I have no trigger for this going full blown and I am trying to live reasonably as the days allow. I will say this is physically and mentally difficult and there are hard days. I am thankful for support and understanding so that I can allow things instead of being pressured into just getting over it. My fear is that this will stay with me at this pace for the rest of my life and disrupt my ability to be a mother since I have a hard time expending a lot of energy because it makes me feel worse physically and I end up paying for things I do for days even though I used to be a machine....thanks for listening!

Rockeej
07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi, do u think Paxil works better than zoloft? I have just started the med game....

DelayedPenalty
07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi, do u think Paxil works better than zoloft? I have just started the med game....

Personally, yes. I've had better results and fewer side effects with Paxil, but everyone's body chemistry handles meds differently.