PDA

View Full Version : Post Colonoscopy

pendlebear
07-14-2011, 06:39 AM
I had a colonoscopy on Monday. I was having a lot of anxiety before the test, then had a reaction from the anesthesia which magnified my anxiety. I fear I am falling into the anxiety/depression cycle. I am still not feeling 100% physically and I am an anxious wreck, I am trying not to take an ativan. I don't know what to do.

suzbays
07-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I been going through the same thing. Unfortunately don't know what to say to help. I found out I had to have the colonscopy and made myself literally sick with worry the week prior to it. I got to the point I couldn't eat. I had the test and I have some issues diverticulosis and gastritis but the polyp they took out was not cancer. I am three weeks post colonscopy and still can't eat without feeling nauseous. I truly think I have worried myself sick. I think I have allowed my anxiety to take over about what could be wrong and make me sick. The only thing I can think of for you and I is to try to realize we did the test and it is over. We need to move on and try to get a grip on the anxiety. I'm not sure I can practice what I'm preaching but I wish you the best.

pendlebear
07-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I can't believe we are both going through the same thing. I am now a week past colonoscopy and still anxious, no appetite, not sleeping well, etc. I agree that we have worried ourselves sick. Like you, the test was done & polyp was not cancer so I'm not sure why I can't get myself out of this anxiety state. As I continue to make myself anxious, I get really down on myself too, and that is not helping. I am already on antidepressants, have been for years. I hope we can both get through this anxiety and past this episode. Thanks for writing, good luck to you.

nimbleox
07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Am I the only one who had a colonoscopy WITHOUT anesthesia!

Seriously O_O every time I have heard / read about these from anyone, it seems mandatory to have an injection.

I told them straight I didnt want though, I hate feeling drowsy and not in control :\

I wasnt really bothered about mine though, I never had a polyp to stress over, but you both got negative results! You both should be happy =)

Should be fine knowing its not cancer right? but no, what runs through our heads ( anxiety sufferers ) is that they missed something or something else is causing the problem..

But there isnt anything, and another part of your mind knows this, focus on that part, that nothing is wrong and you have NOTHING to be anxious for, til that part grows and grows and "eats" the bad though of you being sick.
Doctors know what they are doing, you tell them everything you feel, which leads them to do tests, if they thought anything else was wrong they would do more tests, they obviously feel that you are physically fine, the more you stress over these things, the more physical symptoms you will get, leading to more stress over what could be wrong, its not worth it at all. Your docs say your both fine, and you know yourselves deep inside its all causes of anxiety, I dont believe in the slightest that anxiety sufferers EVER over come anxiety, as it always creeps back ( mines does ) but now I just sit and say to myself that I am being stupid, its simply my thoughts trying to control me, when it should be the other way round and I take back control. Took awhile but it is possible. I dont even take meds anymore, I felt that for me to take FULL control I needed to stop taking those lil white pills, now a year on I am fine with the occasional relapse but I wont be controlled by pills or anxiety and soon get a grip.

Worrying over something that has passed with good results is not going to change anything, but why would you want it to? your both fine. Take all that energy you both have from this experience and use it to take control over the negative thoughts!

Good luck!

pendlebear
07-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Nimbleox, everything you say is true and I know that in my heart, yet that darn anxiety takes over. I know I am guilty of letting my mind run wild, it seems the worse I feel, the more I think and the worse I feel. Right now I am caught in this viscious cycle and I can't seem to get myself out of it. I know I will eventually get myself straightened out - I always do - but boy, while in this state, I am miserable. Thanks for caring enough to write, I really appreciate it.