PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety caused by depression?

KilaRose
06-29-2011, 04:33 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and am looking for others who have similar symptoms and how you cope with them in their everyday lives.
I'm 22 5'5" and around 155lbs. I smoke (mildly) and don't eat the healthiest but I've been working in eating healthier and as of two weeks ago cut out all caffeine.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I was diagnosed with Manic Depression (bipolar depression) a number of years ago and tried many different meds before finding Citalipram (spelling?). I took it for about three years and felt great. It never interfered with daily life and never altered my state of mind.
I'm currently not on any medication, short of birth control. As of the past few months I've developed anxiety, I'm not sure if it's stress caused from my jobs recently, or something else, but it's taking a toll on my daily life. I need better ways to cope with this and will be seeing a doctor this coming week. I've been to the hospital twice for an EKG and both turned out to be perfect, my bp always seems fine so I think I can rule out heart problems as a cause. I can almost always feel it coming, I hear ringing, feel flushed, my left arm feels numb and tingly then my heart races and pounds and I feel like I can't catch my breath...it's overwhelming and very scary for me. It's happened at home while in bed and relaxed or while watching tv and it's happened at work.

kenzzz123
06-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi hun I so sorry to hear about the anxiety it can be really scary!
I've had anxiety and major depression for almost a year now the best thing to do is to keep staying away from the caffeine it makes everything 10x worse, get some exercise (go for a walk on your free time) and when you get anxiety attacks write down what you are doing and thinking about when they happen and what time it was, so you can work through what is causing these attacks.
If they still seem to go on ask your doctor about trying cognitive behavioral therapy and getting started on an ssri (Selective- serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like prozac, paxil, or zoloft.

Hope everything gets better soon!

sophia
07-04-2011, 01:13 AM
The diagnosis of depression and anxiety can run along similar lines. Depression can be the primary cause and people then react to the depression with anxiety. This is true of people diagnosed with Bipolar (Manic Depression). Certainly the constant roller coaster, from deep depression to manic high, can create anxiety in a person's life.