PDA

View Full Version : Fear of troubled breathing. New to medicine and have a question?

Krisann79
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I've been on Clonazepam (.5 mg 2x a day) for almost a week now. So far it's really helped with my symptoms. Unfortunately I still have the same BIG problem.. The one that was my "biggest anxiety stressor".
About 3-4 weeks ago I started having dyspnea/ basically the inability to get a fulfilling breath. Obviously I'm suriving just fine and I keep reminding myself of that but honestly.....It's getting annoying! The anxiety medicine helps because it takes away the anxiety of not being able to breathe like I'd like but my Dr said over time I'd likely get used to breathing normal and I'd "forget about it". He has been right on the fact that sometimes I forget but this is still a daily issue. Sometimes so bad that I'm using an inhaler. I have "reactive airways" not true asthma so I just can't figure it out.

Here's my quesiton:

Have I not given the Clonazepam enough time to sort out my breathing problem (assuming it's anxiety related)?
OR
Is this still going to happen because Clonazepam will not cure all of my anxiety issues?

Sorry for the stupid question. I'm new to anxiety and the meds.

ImJace
06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
No questions are stupid :) - Never feel like you can't ask something.

I've definitely ran into this problem as well. It can be a claustrophobic feeling when it occurs. I'm not aware of medication that solves this particular problem, but if it's caused by anxiety than I suppose controlling your anxiety will help with this issue.

Two things have helped me deal with this in the past.
1. A Dr. once told me that when we take a breath, we actually get 3 times the oxygen that our bodies actually need. That made me feel better.
2. Just like with hyperventilation, breathing into a bag can help. I think it's because a small bag can only have so much air inside, and when we suck the air in until it's empty we hit the "wall" or "peak" of what is inside the bag. I think psychologically it tells our brains we are getting a full breath. Basically I would breath in and out of a bag for about 1 minute and it would definitely help.

Robbed
06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
It really IS a matter of time. The thing about recovery from anxiety disorder is that it is something you are in for the long haul. Your doctor said that you will eventually forget about your breathing issues. But this is something that typically does not go away in what you would probably consider a 'reasonable' amount of time. Of course, I can't tell you how long it will take. But weeks to a couple of months or more might not be completely unreasonable. In any case, the key here is, rather than trying to shut it out of your mind (which is impossible), see what you can do to think about it less. If you can, for instance, distract yourself in such a way that you don't think about it as much, this will help you to think about it less. Try to gradually think about it less and less over time until you no longer do. But don't try to FORCE it to go away.

acasey
06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
thats your problem right there. you ar not 100% convinced it's anxiety. as soon as you truly accept its anxiety, you will stop fearing the symptoms, then you forget about it. i had this problem in the past. i know when i had it i kinda felt like i had to keep paying attention to my breathing or i would not breath right. your body will breath on it's own, just as it has your whole life. as soon as you quit focusing on breathing, you will no longer feel short of breath. the clonazepam is not something you have to let build up in your system before it works. colonazepam starts working within 30-60 min. and last about 8 or so hours. it should help with the shortness of breath because it is suppose to decrease your anxiety about it, there for you quit paying attention to it, and it goes away.the colonazepam is not going to make your shoretness of breath go away. its only going to HELP, not eliminate, your anxiety about the shortness of breath. i agree with robbed, just give it time. keep yourself busy, go out and do something you enjoy :)

Krisann79
06-14-2011, 04:28 AM
I just wanted to say thank you. This forum has helped me better than any of the others I looked into. I really had (still am a little) stepped into this whole situation with NO CLUE! You've really helped me get a better understanding.

I'm going to my appt today with my GP like I said. But I plan on taking other steps to handle this on my own too. Walks on break at work, leaving for lunch, turning the news off, taking me time and maybe even some relaxing environmental sounds, cutting out caffeine already.... I think some of these along with breathing exercises and my medicine (for now) will help me get back on track over time. ;)

Boy I hope I'm right!

jon mike
06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
This is what I feared the most before I knew it was anxiety, feelings sank so low with this, really scared me, some good advice given here I would grasp it with both hands! A casey is right you've been breathing all your life, just ignore the hell out of it and it will fade, it's a thought and that is all, I still get it now, but knowing it will fade makes it fade in literally seconds, I sort of get the feeling of how It used to get me feeling then I laugh at it and it's gone!