PDA

View Full Version : A life changing decision

ImJace
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Let me just paint a picture for you of who I am.

I am a 27 year old guy from Utah, and I have suffered from anxiety for my entire life. It started to peak when I was in high school, and I spent the follow 10 years fighting, struggling, and being controlled by anxiety. I have finally taken the steps necessary to take control of my anxiety, rather than letting it control me.

At best I was getting by day to day. I learned to accept my anxiety and was happy to just cope with it. This got me through the years, but there was no improvement, and when things got bad, they really got bad. I was missing work, relationships suffered and I was becoming physically sick. I decided I had to do something because anxiety was winning, and my quality of life was losing.

I am a freelance filmmaker and photographer which means I work strange hours, and have lots of responsibilities to make deadlines. I was also getting many offers to travel and work in really cool places, but I always turned them down because my anxiety created irrational fears of flying, travel, and being out of my comfort zone.

I also lost the relationship of someone very close to me because my anxiety was blinding me. A few months ago I finally hit what I can only describe as rock bottom. The anxiety was at it's highest ever and depression began to sink in. I was completely lost.

That's when it happened. While laying in bed in the middle of the afternoon I told myself it was time to do something about this. Either the anxiety was going to win, or I was. For me, one of my biggest fears in life was to go to the doctor. I was scared they would find something terribly wrong with me. It doesn't help that when experiencing high levels of anxiety our bodies will physically react in many ways making it appear that something is wrong with us, when it's not.

So I said to hell with it. I called the Dr's office and set up an appointment to have my blood drawn and get a full work up, and to also talk about going on medication. I was always against medication because I'm stubborn. Then I realized if I became diabetic you can guarantee I wouldn't refuse insulin. After setting up the appointment I felt two things. Crippling fear and anxiety of what they would find, but also a faint feeling of relief that came from taking action of the situation. I fed on that small feeling.

Finally my appointment arrived. I had my blood drawn, and then talked to my Dr. about medication options. We decided that Pristiq 50mg was a good fit for me. He warned me that for the first 3 weeks the medication would actually make my anxiety worse, but knowing that prepared me. I left the Dr office with that same feeling of fear and anxiety thinking about what my blood results would be. I just knew without a shadow of a doubt they would find something seriously wrong. Then that feeling of relief returned but it was stronger this time. I could tell that taking action was having a positive effect on my situation.

I had to wait for 3 days to get my results back. As I dialed the number to the Dr office I was shaking all over. My mind was racing, and beads of sweat appeared on my body. My heart was pounding harder than ever. Someone answered and I requested my results. As she began to go down the list it was almost like a dream. She casually told me that everything checked out normal, and just like that I had the proof that I was physically healthy.

I hung up the phone and sat on my bed. I didn't know whether or not to yell for joy, or break down and cry. I sort of did both. It wasn't because the results came as good news, it was because I finally had taken a huge step in taking control of my anxiety, and faced a fear that had plagued me my whole life. 27 years led up to this moment. It was amazing.

Since then, it's been about 2 months. I now find myself living in Hawaii working on a documentary. It has become the single most amazing experience of my life. I never thought I would be able to do something like this. My anxiety isn't gone, but I am in control of it now. It feels good to say that.

I don't know if reading this has helped anyone but I hope it has. If I have once piece of advice, it's to take some time and write down your biggest fears. Whatever they are, I suggest facing as many of them as possible, no matter how impossible it seems. You can do it, I promise. Since I moved to Hawaii I started a blog of my experiences out here. http://hawaiianjace.blogspot.com/ if any of you would like to follow I would love to have you join. I don't have a ton of posts yet, so you could easily catch up with the adventure!

If anyone has any questions or comments about what they just read, send me a message. I always like hearing from people.

Itz Omi
06-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi Jace! Thank you for sharing your experience!!

I think your success is that you were able to have trust in your results and therefore "let it go." Unfortunately, so many people with health anxiety think, "They must have missed something! Maybe they didn't take the right kind of tests! Maybe the test was wrong! I think I'll find another doctor!"

Congrats in moving forward!! Good luck with your documentary!!

ImJace
06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi Jace! Thank you for sharing your experience!!

I think your success is that you were able to have trust in your results and therefore "let it go." Unfortunately, so many people with health anxiety think, "They must have missed something! Maybe they didn't take the right kind of tests! Maybe the test was wrong! I think I'll find another doctor!"

Congrats in moving forward!! Good luck with your documentary!!

Believe me, I definitely when through the "They must have missed something" stage. But I just kept reminding myself that anxiety was making me feel the way I felt. After repetitive positive reinforcement I was able to see that I was right. :) It doesn't mean I don't still struggle with it, but I do know I am in control more than I've ever been.

Itz Omi
06-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Oh yes, doctors that think they know us/our bodies better than we do! Grr!!

ImJace
06-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I feel lucky to have the Dr. I have. He was the same guy who delivered me as a baby 27 years ago. I've been going to him all my life, and really feel that he listens to me. I absolutely trust him as a person and a Dr. I refused to go on medication for years, and he respected that and helped me find alternative ways of dealing with it. I went to a therapist for a few years and learned different breathing techniques to help furring panic attacks. However, like I said above I hit rock bottom recently and we talked about medication. We came to the conclusion that I would try Pristiq and see if it helped. I'm doing much better now then I have in a long time. I plan on continuing the drug for a few more months and then I'm gong to ween myself off of it. I will see how I react to that and then go from there :)