PDA

View Full Version : Help! Could this be just anxiety?

sharrison
10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I have not felt good for 4 years now. I've been to numerous doctors. So far the only diagnosis has been that I have lots of allergies and lots of food sensitivities. So recently I went to a psychologist, and he said he thought my "illness" was a medical problem.

My symptoms have been dizziness, feeling off balanced, very faint, sometimes tremors, weakness (mostly in my legs), fatigue, migraines, blurry vision, light sensitivity, now constant anxiety (I never can relax), panic attacks, and the list goes on . I'm becoming agoraphobic. I'm even now having a hard time relaxing when friends come over. I just don't know what to do anymore!

Could this just be anxiety? If so...what can I do? I've tried breathing and such. The psychologist said we could try neurofeedback, but he wasn't sure if it would work.

Can anyone here help me?

Thanks for your time!!

S. Harrison

worrywart
11-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Dear S,

I definitely believe that you may have anxiety related issues. The problem with our anxiety disorders is that the more we worry about them, the more they manifest themselves into more symptoms. It's a crazy circle to break. If you have been to doctors, and have had them not find anything, them your symptoms are probably caused by your anxiety. The first thing is to believe that this is true. Once that you can convince yourself that the physical things are real but only symptoms of anxiety and not other things, will you truly start to recover. I've had many of the symptoms you have mentioned, they sometimes last months. The dizziness, the off balance, the electrical shocks feeling in the head, the tremors, the not being able to relax, the tension in the neck, the chest pains. The dizziness thing has come and gone my whole adult life. I have had many brain scans, eegs, etc. and they are always negative. I got to where I didn't want to be alone, where I didn't want to go to the store, etc. in fear something would happen to me.

The last time I had a bout of this (although I'm in one right now, but different symptoms) I had been dizzy for about 4 months straight. All tests negative. I went and saw a very understanding and caring neurologist who actually talked and listened to me for about an hour before he did any examination. He watched how I held my shoulders while I talked, how I breathed, what brought the emotions out. Then after examining me, he explained exactly what I needed to hear. He said that I was such a tensed up mess, that my whole body, shoulders and neck were one big knot, that no wonder I was dizzy all the time. I was constricting the blood flow, or nerves or whatever, breathing very shallow and never coming up for air when I talked. He said many people complain of the shock feeling in the head, and that it is nothing to be alarmed with. He suggested a massage therapist for my neck to loosen up the knots. He suggested a counselor to help me deal with whatever it was that I was dealing with. And do you know, that just for a doctor to explain to me what was happening, and BELIEVING it, made the symptoms dissapear. And yes, I followed his advice and still go to monthly massages. The counselor I only saw twice and I didn't feel she understood anxiety so I stopped going. If my dizziness ever returns, I know that it is anxiety.

With anxiety, it's a creature that tries to scare you. Now that it knows dizziness no longer can rile me up, it has now turned to chest pressure , irregular heart beats and has me freaked out about my heart. Well, after an EKG and stress test my heart is fine. Yesterday my doctor assured me that it was just my anxiety roaring it's ugly head again. He had me talk about what was happening in my life etc. I bawled like a baby and let it all out. He prescribed Xantax for the bad times. He wants me to go back to the gym, (I stopped going because I thought it was my heart), he wants me to start doing something with my hands that I enjoy and get my mind on something enjoyable. So we'll see if it works.

I hope this helps, you can get better. Knowing others go through the same things really does help.

Get well soon!

Worrywart

sharrison
11-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks Worrywart!

I just have a couple of questions for you. It sounds like you still go to the doctors a lot...is that true? Will this ever end?

Have you tried any homeopathic type stuff? Does anything help? I've tried breathing, but I rwally haven't seen any improvements.

Also, can this cause a drastic change in blood pressure? The last time I went to the doctors they took my blood pressur while lying down and it was 112/70 and 65 beats per minute (which is high for me) and then they took it while stand up and it went to 122/? and 100 beats per minute.

Thanks for any and all information!!!!

Harrison

squirt
11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
It could be both physical and anxiety problems feeding off each other. I was helped in my cbt group so you may want to consult a psyche who practices cbt.

sharrison
11-01-2006, 02:21 PM
What is cbt?

Thanks,
Harrison

tokajosi
11-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi,

It does sound like you have anxiety and some form of panick attack.The most common symptoms of anxiety attacks are:

* Palpitations,
* a pounding heart, or an accelerated heart rate
* Sweating
* Trembling or shaking
* Shortness of breath
* A choking sensation
* Chest pain or discomfort
* Nausea or stomach cramps
* A feeling of being dizzy,
* unsteady,
* lightheaded, or faint
* Derealization (a feeling of unreality)
* or depersonalization (a feeling of being detached from oneself)
* Fear of losing control or going crazy
* Fear of dying Numbness or a tingling sensation
* Chills or hot flashes

Experiencing anxiety attacks and their associated symptoms does not mean that you have a physical or mental illness.

Your panic attack cause could be, and in many cases is completely unlike from each person who is tormented by panic attacks. Your symptoms may be induced by something as little or slight as the flavor or scent of something that had an intense effect on you at a certain point in your life. Or it could even be an incident or a series of incidents that is your own personal panic attack cause.

Your panic attack cause may not necessarily need to be induced by a traumatic event. It may have initially been induced by a situation that you had or have a hard time handling successfully yourself, like performing a speech infront of a group of people or meeting a deadline. It possibly could be something as simple as going on a first date, or getting into a crowded elevator or plane.

On the other hand, your panic attack cause could be any one of a multitude amount of things. If are ready to embark on the path toward curing your panic attacks, your first objective should be recognizing your personal panic attack cause. Once you obtain this knowledge you are on the right track to discovering your own path toward curing or coping with your panic attacks.

To be able to cope with anxiety and agoraphobic you must pay attention to things that upsets you, could be smells, sounds, colors, food, drinks, polutions, detergents, lots of things, negative thougths out of the no where,caffeine is real harhs too.

Some of the proven alternitive thing that helps are

Any time you notice a negative thougth coming up in your mind,tell your self CANCEL this thought. What happens is your training to decompress your mind of negativity what is one of the strees causer which leads to anxiety, plus your calming your mind too.

You mentioned that you have tried too.It's very importent to do it the write way other wise it's not affective.If I may suggest try this one.Either sit up straigth or just lay down and close your eyes and place you hand rigth under your navel.

Now think of something good what happened with you in the past that made you happy, ones you have that piture in your mind with closed mouth inhale for 3 seconds and then hold it for 2 seconds and then exhale for 3 seconds all through your nose. reapet this 8 times. Don't inhale it into to your chest, it has to be deep in your bely, thats why you have your hand under your navel so you can fell moving in and out,if your chest rises your doing it wrong.

It takes a little pactice. Do this 3 times a day every day and even when you fill an attack.

Learning to Breathe:
Shallow breathing may lead to increased anxiety and even panic attacks; some people theorize that improper breathing is the entire cause of panic attacks. In any case, learning proper breathing techniques not only may benefit you as a relaxation exercise, you may feel a sense of calm overall if you learn to breathe properly.

Do You Use Nature to Reduce Stress & Anxiety?
Can spending time in nature reduce stress and anxiety? Environmental psychologists believe our surroundings influence our mental health. To learn how to bring nature into your life and bound with it. There is a lot more things that you may do to cope and even cure anxiety or agoraphobic.

You migth want to look up my site it's on the bottom of this page and get some very educational information on ths subject that would help you out greatly.

I hope my info was some help for you.Wish you the best.

:)

sharrison
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Thank you so much! I will definately check out your site.

carmen
11-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I am new here. I highly recommend you check out your hormone levels as well. You could have a hormone imbalance. Even just a slight one will cause anxiety. That's what happened to me. In my case I had extremely high cortisol. Because, you see I personally do not believe generalized anxiety causes panic attacks etc. I think it is something chemical. Also check out the Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook by Jeanne Marie Martin. Your allergies make me suspect.

You see Xantax, which is what they prescribe for panic attacks is actually GABA. GABA is made naturally by your body. Why is your body not making enough GABA? That is the question for everyone.

I also found eating seretonin producing foods (potato, etc.) extremely helpful on some days.

squirt
11-09-2006, 01:57 PM
What is cbt?

Thanks,
Harrison

Harrison cbt stands for Cognitive behavioral therapy. You learn to catch the common errors in thought that lead to anxiety and depression and begin to think in new ways that are less upsetting. It takes some effort but has been worth it for me. The book we started with by Sam Obitz is a good overview and the tea form exercise is what has benefitted me the most in getting where I am today.

ls
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
sounds like your symptoms could be anxiety. I would ask yourself this, does the symptoms come and go? Are they only during certain times?? like when you are driving? getting ready to go somewhere? anticipating something? Do they ever go away when you are distracted by something, for example, into a really good movie?

Also, do you have any anxiety disorders in your family? These things can be inherited.

I suffered for years with symptoms but until I have my first panic attack and ran right to the emergency room. There, I was diagnosed with anxiety. I did not even know what anxiety meant. Sure enough, the symptoms are very real...it is real.

Hope this helps.

MissBrownEyes
11-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Well you are not alone. I get all them feelings as well, sometimes in the local supermarket I have to hold onto the cart so hard my knuckles turn white, even if im just running in w/ freinds for something like fish food, I bring my cart, sometimes at the check out I have to lean on the register and look down at the floor, its almost 99% of my life I feel off balance.. even when I'm sitting in a chair, I still feel dizzy and like I just got off the worlds fastest roller coaster. THe effects I get are as follows..

Sweaty palms, heart beaing fast fast, shortness of breath, head feeling heavy, hearing going fuzzy, difficult time to see, dry mouth, numbness in my legs and arms, and an overwhelming feeling of "i need to crawl right outta my skin"

I have had brain scans as well, been on a heart monitor, and even hosptialized, and everything always turns out ok, my blood work is always fine and everything.

I have some people in my family w/ anxiety as well, some have overcome it and some still long for that day, yet my mother always tells me "noone ive ever known in my life has let something like this ruin such a young smart girl" well thats a slap in the face ma.

Anyway.. I think you have anxiety and panic, read books, talk about your feelings more, keep posting things and taking ppls advice, and taht website that tokajosi posted is a really really good website, i just added it to my faviortes. any time I can learn more about anxiety i love to do it, b/c I know im going to overcome this, and the best part is.. so are you

sharrison
11-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I do the same thing with the cart!!

Do you take anything for your anxiety? Has anything in particular helped you?

Thanks

emz_1986
11-30-2006, 04:00 AM
sounds like your symptoms could be anxiety. I would ask yourself this, does the symptoms come and go? Are they only during certain times?? like when you are driving? getting ready to go somewhere? anticipating something? Do they ever go away when you are distracted by something, for example, into a really good movie?

Also, do you have any anxiety disorders in your family? These things can be inherited.

I suffered for years with symptoms but until I have my first panic attack and ran right to the emergency room. There, I was diagnosed with anxiety. I did not even know what anxiety meant. Sure enough, the symptoms are very real...it is real.

Hope this helps.

my feelings go away when i'm distracted, so that means it's defintely anxiety doesn't it? i mean, if it was something worse (mental illness or whatever) then it would always be there wouldn't it? i takes alot to get me distracted now. i think the key is to make sure you're really relaxed and then you can concentrate on something. It's hard work though!!!!

squirt
12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Better than distraction for me was learning how to counter my thoughts in a tea form and learning to eliminate the thinking errors that cause my anxiety. Kind of like treating the cause versus distraction which only treats the symptoms.