PDA

View Full Version : New here, need advice, or comments

worrywart
10-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi there,

I'm new here, but not new to anxiety. I've been a sufferer since high school and I'm now 51. I've had a great life, raised 3 wonderful kids to adulthood am still with my high school sweetheart after 31 years. My anxiety will hit me in the form of a physical ailment (usually dizziness that is constant for months). I go to doctor to doctor, have had many tests, brain scans etc. but nothing ever shows up. As soon as I get the last "you're fine" from doctor I feel normal again. Sometimes for months sometimes for years.

Now that I've gone into menopause, my anxiety is back. This time in the form of pressure in my chest, or stomach I can't tell which. It's not excruciating or really alarming, but it's there. I burp all the time to relieve it. I've always had a phobia about my heart, and with a father that passed away at 51 (my age) and my brother just passed away at 56 this last April. (My brother was on kidney dialysis for 3 years with diabetes and his heart couldn't take the strain) So, of course I'm freaked out that there is something wrong with my heart. I went to doctor, told him my symptoms, he gave me a EKG and felt that I should try to take an antacid for awhile (he really feels it's from my stomach). I tried that, but it didin't seem to make a whole lot of difference. This all began at a coincidental time, which makes me truly believe it's probably anxiety. We recently put our home on the market, bought another home in another area, and I'm the Realtor trying to sell it, the market is down, we have 2 homes now, and my husband was put on disability. So yes, I know there is cause for stress. But all I can think about is my heart.

So, I went to a cardiologist for a treadmill stress test yesterday. He worked me pretty hard on the treadmill, and it scares me to get my heart rate up that high. When he put it on high where I had to run, I told him it hurt my knees but that I was ok, but he shut the machine off. He said I never got to the target rate that he wanted me at that he didn't like this type of test anyway, it really doesn't show much. (Then why was I being put through this???) Then he said he wants me to have another type of test where they shoot with a shot that makes your heart race like you're on the treadmill except you're strapped in a chair, and they shoot you with a dye so they can see your arteries. I"M FREAKED OUT! No way, do I want this test. The very thought of it, puts me into a panic attack. Has anyone out there had to have this? He said my treadmill test looks normal and that he doesn't feel that I am having any real heart issues, but he wants this test to make sure. I want to cancel the appointment, cause it freaks me totally out. I'm going back to my GP today and tell him and see what he thinks. I want something for my anxiety now. It's all so hard to cope. All I do is cry and freak out over every little ache and pain. But I have to pull together to sell this house and make a living. Any advice??

?Sorry for rambling! :x

tokajosi
11-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi,

You are facing a lot of stress and have a lot on your mind that it seems like you're having anxiety and some panick attack. Let me show you some of the the symptoms caused by anxiety and panick attaks.

The most common symptoms of anxiety attacks are:

* Palpitations,
* a pounding heart, or an accelerated heart rate
* Sweating
* Trembling or shaking
* Shortness of breath
* A choking sensation
* Chest pain or discomfort
* Nausea or stomach cramps
* A feeling of being dizzy,
* unsteady,
* lightheaded, or faint
* Derealization (a feeling of unreality)
* or depersonalization (a feeling of being detached from oneself)
* Fear of losing control or going crazy
* Fear of dying Numbness or a tingling sensation
* Chills or hot flashes

These are some of the possible symptoms of an anxiety attack but what does it actually feel like to experience one?

Usually an anxiety attack begins with an unusual bodily sensation from the list above. The person then reacts with fear that the symptoms are indicators of a much more serious threat and in turn reacts with more fear which escalates into a state of heightened anxiety.

We all experience anxiety from time to time. In fact, it’s a normal part of our physiological makeup and is intended to keep us safe. In today’s world, many people find that their anxiety levels are out of proportion. Someone who suffers from chronic anxiety disorder will produce excessive amounts of adrenaline and other chemicals in response to what they perceive as threats. Unfortunately, those perceived threats might include such everyday situations as social interaction or worry about money and finances. The chronic anxiety disorder impacts their day-to-day lives in a very negative way.

The most recognizable signs of chronic anxiety disorder include those uncomfortable feelings that nag at you. People with chronic anxiety disorder most likely feel nearly-constant apprehension, which can be directed at a particular situation or may be vaguer than that. They may constantly worry about the future or their performance at work, school or in the family.

Chronic anxiety disorder can appear suddenly or manifest gradually over time. Many individuals who suffer from chronic anxiety disorder find that the onset of symptoms can be connected to a traumatic event. They may even experience flashbacks of traumatic events throughout their lives. Physical signs of this trauma can include a racing heart, sweating, and dizziness.

It is common for those with chronic anxiety disorder to suffer from other stress-related illnesses and conditions. For example, insomnia often occurs in conjunction with anxiety disorders. Other stress-related conditions that may be present are irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, and fatigue. Many people learn they have chronic anxiety disorder because they seek treatment for some sort of physical ailment.

Because anxiety generally manifests itself in very uncomfortable ways, those suffering from chronic anxiety disorder may begin to avoid situations in which they fear the anxiety will return. This might include only using certain routes to drive to work or even becoming fearful of leaving the perceived safety of their own homes.

There are many proven to work "ALTERNITIVE" methods that can help you to cope or even cure you.

Some of them are breathig methods, ther a certain way of doing this every day 3 times.

Learning to Breathe:

Shallow breathing may lead to increased anxiety and even panic attacks; some people theorize that improper breathing is the entire cause of panic attacks.

Learn to calm your mind, any time you have some bad or negative thoughts , try to pay attention when you notice them and then tell in yourself to cancel this thought. What happens is ,your traning yourself to decompress your mind from all the unneccasery junk that might irritates you and cause anxiety, fear etc...

I dedicated a site for people who have problems like yourself to become educated on this subject and also learn how to cope and even cure anxiety, panick attacks, phobias and so on.

I hope you get better and that I was some help for you.

Wish you the best.
:)