PDA

View Full Version : 15 years old, i think im suffering from derealization

loueyville
05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Every summer around may everything just starts feeling unreal and like im in a dream. It lasts until september when the weather cools down and i think it could be that im suffering from a disease called labyrinthitis. the derealization basically feels like im in a dream and about to pass out. Everything feels very hazy

I had a panic attack 2 days ago because of the same thing and ever since then everything seems unreal and like a dream, especially when i put on contact lenses and go into a place with a lot of people such as the cafeteria or a store. Then I really feel like im in a dream and i start panicking. This happens yearly and now I feel depressed. How can i make this stop?

ImJace
05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
First of all don't focus on making it stop, rather focus on understanding what is going on. I feel the same way when I'm around lots of people, it's called "agoraphobia" - If you focus on making it stop you may find yourself getting discouraged when it doesn't stop, but if you just remind yourself that there is nothing seriously wrong with you, this happens to lots of people, and as you begin to recognize that and understand it you will notice that you deal with it much easier, and eventually you may find that it slowly goes away. :) - I'm 27 and have had anxiety my whole life, but more so the last 10 years. I've had 100's of panic attacks, I didn't start to feel better until I accepted the cause, and faced my fears. I feel great now. :)

loueyville
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
First of all don't focus on making it stop, rather focus on understanding what is going on. I feel the same way when I'm around lots of people, it's called "agoraphobia" - If you focus on making it stop you may find yourself getting discouraged when it doesn't stop, but if you just remind yourself that there is nothing seriously wrong with you, this happens to lots of people, and as you begin to recognize that and understand it you will notice that you deal with it much easier, and eventually you may find that it slowly goes away. :) - I'm 27 and have had anxiety my whole life, but more so the last 10 years. I've had 100's of panic attacks, I didn't start to feel better until I accepted the cause, and faced my fears. I feel great now. :)

I dont have a fear of large crowds, i always attend football games with loud crowds of about 80,000 people and my symptoms never happen (during fall and winter). They only happen during the summer for some reason so I have to stay inside a lot. I think its because of an allergy or symptoms of labyrinthitis

ImJace
05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Oh I see what you are saying now. Yeah, I actually have a harder time with depression/anxiety in the winter, so I know that seasons can have an effect on us. Also, inner ear issues can definitely cause us to feel funny in many ways. I woke up one morning and it felt like I was on a boat in the water. I could hardly stand. Turns out I had an inner ear infection. haha.

generalmac
05-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi loueyville,

Labyrinthitis is an inner ear infection that is pretty rare and is not a disease because it does not last. If you have problems like this that last seasonally you could have allergies? You should pay attention to any other seasonal symptoms and see your doctor about that. I know allergies can make you feel "out of it" in your head which is almost like the feeling of depersonalization.

If you have anxiety, depersonalization is a very common symptom especially after anxiety or panic attacks. I know from person experience and overcoming depersonalization that when your anxiety or panic is fully gone or dealt with, the depersonalization will be gone too! :) It is extremely terrifying, and I understand what it is like. I was your age when I had it for the first time and I thought I was dying. It may make you feel better to know you will get through it and realize it is a simple symptom of anxiety.

I suggest you do what you can to get help for anxiety or panic. It will really help!

Good luck with everything, remember nothing last forever and theres always a light waiting somewhere:)

loueyville
05-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi loueyville,

Labyrinthitis is an inner ear infection that is pretty rare and is not a disease because it does not last. If you have problems like this that last seasonally you could have allergies? You should pay attention to any other seasonal symptoms and see your doctor about that. I know allergies can make you feel "out of it" in your head which is almost like the feeling of depersonalization.

If you have anxiety, depersonalization is a very common symptom especially after anxiety or panic attacks. I know from person experience and overcoming depersonalization that when your anxiety or panic is fully gone or dealt with, the depersonalization will be gone too! :) It is extremely terrifying, and I understand what it is like. I was your age when I had it for the first time and I thought I was dying. It may make you feel better to know you will get through it and realize it is a simple symptom of anxiety.

I suggest you do what you can to get help for anxiety or panic. It will really help!

Good luck with everything, remember nothing last forever and theres always a light waiting somewhere:)

thank you, i should go talk to my doctor and see what allergies i might have

acasey
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
what! wow, a light bulb just went off in my head! back when all my anxiety started, depersonalization was pretty much the first symptom i had. when i made an apt with the doc, i complained that my anxiety was acting up again, AND THAT I HAD A SINUS INFECTION! fast foward 3 months later, still have depersonalization, and guess what, i still have the sinus issue. ears clogged up, headache,swollen glands,and a cough that wont go away. i never knew that sinus problems cause this! im a nurse by the way, lol. i guess not a very good one. very strange to think that when this all started i was having sinus problems, and i still am. hmmm.... guess im not crazy after all :)