PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go to get Cognitive Behavioral therapy?

kremling
05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know where to start? Where do I look? How can I find out if they are certified? Does anyone here have any experience with CBT? Any tips or information I should know?

Is it usually covered by health insurance?

Robbed
05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
You actually don't have to go anywhere. This is something you can do yourself with a self-help book. And, indeed, lots of the people who are most successful with CBT have done it themselves. However, if you feel you need the help of a therapist, you can go that route as well. I don't know that there is such a thing as 'CBT certification'. But given the fact that people on this board come from different states and countries, this might depend on where you live. When it comes to the quality of therapists, it's 'buyer beware' regardless of what kinds of credentials a therapist might hold (in the end, the quality of the person is MUCH more important than fancy degrees). In other words, you might end up seeing SEVERAL therapists before ultimately finding one who can actually help you. As for insurance, this all depends on your policy. Some policies will pay for therapists. Others will pay, but only for a limited number of visits. And yet others will not pay for therapists at all. You would have to ask your health care provider about this one.