PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding what I have

jujuzeking
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Hello all, joined to get some advice. Been having a few problems lately, hoping to get some help. First off though, I'll start with a few important details.

I smoke weed approximately 2-4 times a month. I'm 16 years old, and I don't think I've had any problems before...I'd say last year. Last year I started feeling depressed sometimes, even though I have no reason to, (good life, a lot of friends, etc.), and have been feeling depressed on and off. Recently though, after smoking weed one day I experienced depersonalization. Over the course of a month, it happened about 3 times, but only after i smoked. Then today, completely sober I felt the depersonalization feeling while in school. I went to the nurses to relax a little bit, and that is where I am writing this from. I am still feeling it quite strongly, and have also had some mild shakes and an increased heart rate. I'm planning on calling my a doctor once I get home, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear from other people. What do you think I have? Is the depersonalization branching from depression, or do I have anxiety? I do get very nervous and shy around strangers, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to actually be considered social anxiety. Anyways, I would love to hear from other people who have had experiences with depersonalization.
Also, I read that people have found it scary and weird, but I only felt that way the first time it happened. Now I kind of enjoy it, find it relaxing, I just dislike it in school like I felt today because I could not concentrate.
But anyways,
Thanks in advance for answers :)

acasey
05-19-2011, 03:31 PM
i have had that same experience when smoking weed years ago. it did pass with time. depression and anxiety usually go hand in hand. and both def cause depersonalization. i have it all the time.the shakes and increased heart rate are also some of the most common symptoms of anxiety. so yeah you probably have anxiety and depression, one usually leads to the other. as far as the depersonalization goes, i think once you have one experience with it, it happends more frequently. thats because you are focusing on it. if you enjoy it then i guess thats not a problem. i find it pretty distressing myself.

Robbed
05-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Depersonalization can also result from substance issues. The same is true of depression and anxiety. If I were you, I would lay off the weed. LOTS of people actually develop anxiety issues as a result of smoking, and this could be the cause of it all for you. Just keep in mind that, sometimes, it can take some time to completely get over this sort of thing.

jujuzeking
05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Okay, so if I lay off it, will it get better? It calmed way down today, but then started up again just now. I've never felt any other effects of anxiety, only the depersonalization.

jon mike
05-20-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think your experiencing depersonalisation, I don't see how it could be a good experience, I'd lay off the weed though, the long term suffering it can cause aint worth a ten minute hit in my opinion

Robbed
05-20-2011, 06:07 AM
Okay, so if I lay off it, will it get better?

Nobody can tell you for 100% certain that giving up weed will make everything go away. But I would say there is a pretty good chance that smoking is to blame for this problem. Hoever, as I said, even if smoking is 100% to blame, don't expect this problem to go away overnight. I will probably take some time.

jujuzeking
05-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Second official day of feeling it sober, and now I can tell you I HATE this.

Itz Omi
05-21-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree with Robbed. There have been so many people whose panic attacks have started as a result of smoking weed, even after the smoking stopped. It's a dangerous substance which affects everybody differently - some, for a good long time, and not for the better.

Muloc
05-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Yes weed affects people in different ways. I have a friend that suffers very similar panic attacks to me, for him weed causes worse panic attacks, but for me it calms me down. I guess laying off it for a while may give you the answer you're looking for.

overunder
05-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I used to smoke a lot myself. At first I always got happy and goofy and high. Then after college when I had work to do and jobs and stuff, I started getting anxious when I was high. I couldn't stop thinking that if anything important came up I wouldn't be able to handle it. I lay off it now. I wouldn't say that's why I got anxious in the first place, but it certainly didn't help.