PDA

View Full Version : How Can you Succeed in Life with Anxiety?

Gladys
05-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Were you an anxious student who passed their exams and then successful in the workplace. If so how did you cope? I ask as a second introduction to the forum, because anxiety has meant that my life didn't go the way I planned.

jeremydoyle
05-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi Gladys,

I suffered from anxiety as a child, throughout high school, college and even today from time to time. My symptoms were the worst just after I finished college. I had a couple of anxiety attacks and found myself in the hospital a couple of times, so yeah, I've been there. I was an intern at a huge company the time and I wasn't sure if I had picked the right career path. I hated my internship and was worried sick about where I was going in life.

Now I'm 100x better. I manage a team of 10 people doing research and development. I love what I do and I live a pretty decent lifestyle, and still I'm aiming higher. :)

How did I cope? For me, it was a matter of self confidence. I started by challenging myself to do the little things I was avoiding as a teen. Just ordering something like ice cream was a challenge for me at the time. Learning to drive was a huge milestone. And even now, every day I try to challenge my fears and every day I get a little better.

I hope that was the kind of answer you were looking for,

-Jeremy

Gladys
05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
You know, Jeremy, you're pretty amazing.
To have any kind of anxiety and still succeed in life is great.
I gave way to the anxiety I went through, and never made it to where you are.
Why did I ask that question? Because too many people on this forum don't believe they'll be able to fulfill their lives in any way. Somewhere along the line, people like me used anxiety as an excuse to fail. I'm the wrong side of 50, but I see people writing how they feel like nothing in their posts, and it's important they know they can get wherever they want to.
It seems a bit two - faced that I want other people to succeed when I didn't, but I suppose I want them to realise that they can't blame anxiety for failing. They can only blame themselves.
Me? Yes, I admit that failing was my fault, not that of anxiety.
I hope you tell your story over and over again on this forum. Thanks.

jeremydoyle
05-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Hey Gladys,

I understand that you can have regrets because I do, too, although I must only be a bit over half your age. It's easy to get lost in "what-ifs" (both past and future, for that matter) and miss the present moment. It's never too late to embrace the opportunities that present themselves to you today.

Gladys
05-15-2011, 05:19 PM
You're right, Jeremy.

You've a wise outlook, both for yourself and others too. Thanks.

Take care.

danstelter
05-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Were you an anxious student who passed their exams and then successful in the workplace. If so how did you cope? I ask as a second introduction to the forum, because anxiety has meant that my life didn't go the way I planned.

I was very successful in college - even better than in high school. I suffered from significant performance anxiety during the test (swirling mind, shaking hands, sweaty hands), but what really worked was to prepare by studying and memorizing the most important information that was most likely to appear on the test.

Work, the first time around, was an abysmal failure. I was originally in computers in the corporate world and it didn't go well at all. People harassed me routinely or gave me crap regularly. I could barely even do my job because of all the people stress. I decided to change my career track to social work, and that worked like a charm. My natural timidity and patience worked real when doing therapy with autistic children. At the same time, I served a couple administrative internships and found that I had a knack for being organized, prepared, detail, and making good decisions. Additionally, nonprofit management worked out much better because people there are not so "dog eat dog" like most business (it's good to note that even though I didn't fit into the traditional corporate mold, 70% of Americans dislike their jobs, so it's not like I'm missing out a ton). I am much more confident and know I can contribute at this point, however, the corporate mold is just not one I would like to fit even if I could. So, currently, I would like to get into nonprofit management and on the side begin my own business. I am much more comfortable when no one else has power over me to eliminate my position for an arbitrary reason. I got laid off from my current job, but not because of incompetence or anxiety, so right now I'm searching and working on my business on the side. I feel confident I'll be successful in the future!

Gladys
05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Dan,

My computer's gone haywire, so I'm borrowing one at the moment, otherwise I'd have answered sooner. Another amazing story. I gave way to my anxiety in University and didn't do well at all. You were successful with the same symptoms I experienced and succeeded. No mean feat, if only because anxiety takes away the ability to focus properly. Well done.
As for who you are now, your success, together with people's need to step on someone because they can, I'm sorry that's happened for you. The thing is, anxiety can bring you right down until you don't know who you are. You know who you are and where you're going. Dan, you're a brilliant role model.

Best wishes for the future

Gladys
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Dan,

My computer's gone haywire, so I'm borrowing one at the moment, otherwise I'd have answered sooner. Another amazing story. I gave way to my anxiety in University and didn't do well at all. You were successful with the same symptoms I experienced and succeeded. No mean feat, if only because anxiety takes away the ability to focus properly. Well done.
As for who you are now, your success, together with people's need to step on someone because they can, I'm sorry that's happened for you. The thing is, anxiety can bring you right down until you don't know who you are. You know who you are and where you're going. Dan, you're a brilliant role model.

Best wishes for the future

PS: Sorry I posted twice

NashvilleQueen
06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I suffered from anxiety for about 10 years but now I am able to say I am "cured." I think of it like alcoholism - it never really goes away 100% but it is definitely manageable. I am able to do things I never thought I could do like ride as a passenger in someone's car, drive in traffic, get a job where I drove about 6 hours per day as a hotel inspector, and get on the subway. Anxiety is one of those things that you just have to tackle. It will not go away by itself, though I often wished for that. Finally I had to do the work. For me, it was free and without a therapist but do whatever you have to do and get out of the cage.

Best of luck to everyone.
Amanda

acasey
06-04-2011, 01:02 PM
anxiety doesn't have to hold you back, you can use it as a tool. i had my first panic attack about 5 years ago. i started doing tons of research about how anxiety works and that took me down a new path of wanting to learn how the ENTIRE body works. Im now a nurse. and if i didn't' have anxiety i probably would had never developed any interest in it :)

Gladys
06-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Amanda,

For a change, I will obey someone, you particularly. Today I feel like I will do anything to get out of the cage you mentioned.

Thanks.

Gladys
06-04-2011, 04:18 PM
acasey,

As with everyone who writes here, I am envious of your ability to use your emotions to help you.

Thanks.