PDA

View Full Version : anxiety/depression leading to occasional "episodes", anyone have this?

RobbZ
05-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi all, I'm Robb. Mid 40's male, been dealing with anxiety and depression for a number of years, and lately it's been manifesting itself in an unusual way.

As background, I've been taking Lexapro for some time, which seems to have helped with the panic attacks. Recently I was increased from 20mg to 30mg. I'm also taking Lisinipril and Simvastatin, for a very slight elevation in my blood pressure and cholesterol. I'm in relatively decent shape, work at a physical job, and take no other meds on a regular basis.

I have only rare panic attacks anymore, I do get nervous or anxious sometimes, but just to what I would consider a normal degree. Instead, I have what my wife refers to as "episodes", where I feel and appear somehow impaired, almost like I was drugged or had been drinking. A note on that ... I was a heavy drinker most of my life, but quit a couple years ago (thank you AA).

During these episodes, I'm very drowsy, my speech slurred, my actions and reactions slowed, and I don't think clearly. I make poor decisions. Usually I lie down and sleep for a couple hours, and then feel better physically, though after an episode I go through some major depression, taking inventory of all the ways I've fallen short as a husband, a father, a son. My wife and daughter are fed up with this, and I can't blame them. I've been through all sorts of tests, catscan, three-day walking ekg, all that stuff.

I'd like to know whether the meds I'm on could be causing or amplifying these "episodes", or whether it's just an unusual reaction to stress. For that matter, it would be good to just to hear that I'm not the only person in the world to whom this is happening. Anyone else been going through anything like this???

Jaseis
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi there,
Im only 18 so my anxiety has just started manifesting itself in different ways. It's been getting worse recently.
I also have these episodes, but until I read your post, I never realised it. My dad often tells me I have periods where I'm very aloof, selfish and quiet. My friends also tell me that my voice is sometimes quite slow and deep (they call it a stoned voice :/ ) just now I've realised that I don't eat as much during these stages, i feel extremely unmotivated and lose interest and everything I do feels like too much of an effort. I've never been diagnosed with depression but I've never actually been to see anyone because I was brought up being told councellors are a waste of time and that I should learn to deal with things.
I can't explain these periods, I just know they normally last for about three days and during them, I'm preoccupied with being someone else. Feelings of hopelessness also accompany them.
Sorry if I didn't help, but I just wanted to share my similar feelings.
Hope you find the help you're after.
Jade.