PDA

View Full Version : Derealisation/unreality/depersonalisation/

jon mike
05-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Anybody else get this? I've posted about it before but with little response, I can't seem to shake it, the way that it is now is like I feel like I cannot accept that the world is real? It just dosent seem to want to sink in, I can't believe it? I'm in and out of this all day and night, one minute I'm wondering how I got here or the world that is and the next I'm completely fine, ive had anxiety issues since I was sixteen, I'm 33 now but this is the worst ever, I start cbt in 2 weeks I'm hoping I can be sorted out, so unhappy, help anyone who has tips for it to go away, Jon

boxer1
05-04-2011, 07:26 PM
All the time man ive felt like my body and thoughts weren't mine I've felt that the outside world is fake or a dream and what makes it worse is during these episodes the thoughts that come with just make u feel like ur going nuts ivr had episodes that last a month before u have to just tell yourself that its just anxiety driven and that it will go away distractions will make it go away even faster but if u accept it and don't feed it with fear it just becomes a minor annoyance

Robbed
05-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Derealization is indeed anxiety-driven. The best way to deal with this symptom is to find ways to reduce your anxiety levels. Remember that, among other things, this means learning to accept your symptoms (including derealization) so that you don't make them worse by worrying about them. Also, it is often helpful to do things that can distract you from your symptoms. Being outdoors and being with other people seem to help many people deal with derealization. Also remember that derealization is unfortunately one of the longer-lived anxiety symptoms. Regardless of what you do, be patient. Derealization can take some time to go away.

Nikita
05-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I sure can related to you. I feel like I am in a fish bowl looking out at the world. Kind of seeing things but not being able to be a part of it. I know its hard but you have to ignore this feelings and know that it will go away. Like in the above post said distract yourself with an activity. I vacuum like crazy or go outside and get away from the situation and my surroundings. Sometimes if you wear sunglasses it helps, even if you are indoors. Another helpful thing to do is sing. Yes sing outloud, as loud as you can. It trigers the brain to think about something else and calms it down. Hope these things help and good luck. Just hang in there and know it will get better.

jon mike
05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, the last two days have been back to normal thank god, felt like a proper mad man, so strange, got some good advice which seems to have worked, in that state I was in I was really not convinced the anxiety was to blame, I can see it, feel like I've got a new pair of goggles on!

Nikita
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Great news...keep up the great work.

joshualives
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
this is honestly my biggest struggle, ive dealt with anxiety since i was a kid thinking everything would kill me now i am 18 and im experiencing depersonalization & Derealization

i find it very hard to "distract myself" because just looking out into the world unable to see yourself you wonder whether anyone else can see what you see or what they are seeing from their prospective and then i get that stomach churning feeling, this is so hard

i feel that if i just ignore it that my brain will get used to it and never change but i also know that i shouldnt stick on it and try and fight it.

any tips???

please help

jon mike
05-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Hey Joshua? I've experienced it b4 about 7 yrs ago, I know exactly what ure saying about accepting the way that your looking at the world and your brain getting used to it and I'll tell you now that's utter bollocks :) don't feel alone man, when the anxiety subsides the madness of it all will leave you, only a week ago I was asking for help myself, it's hard to see when your in that frame of mind, mine sort of reminds me of the matrix, really feel like I'm looking at something more than what everyone else can see, it's not, it's literally a side effect of extreme anxiety, a perceptual distortion through lack of seratonin in your brain ( happy juice), concentrate on accepting your anxious feelings and ignore the weirdness of it all and it will fade without you realising it. Jon

joshualives
05-07-2011, 12:12 PM
thankyou jon that is great to know. :)

Robbed
05-07-2011, 04:50 PM
i feel that if i just ignore it that my brain will get used to it and never change but i also know that i shouldnt stick on it and try and fight it.

That's not only the trap with unreality, but with anxiety disorder in general. The more you fight it, the worse it gets. Only through acceptance and learning to live with it will it actually go away.

.....a perceptual distortion through lack of seratonin in your brain ( happy juice),.....

Remember that serotonin deficiency has never been proven to be the cause of anxety disorder. It just makes for good marketing for antidepressants.

jon mike
05-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Ye I understand it's never been proven but not once have I ever experienced derealisation and been in a happy state of mind, you've got to be feeling low before you get there, that's what I believe anyway, if I'm happy any form of anxiety doesn't come close to me, as for anti depressants I tried them just the once and they sent me somewhere else!! That just came down to my stupid gp though trying to quick fix me, I don't know how many people experience derealisation through anxiety but it's got to be the worst thing ever to have entered my mind, so glad it fades, when I'm better I'm gonna help people as much as I can, I've just got the most overwhelming feeling to do this because I wouldn't wish the unreality feeling/thoughts on anyone, although it was nice to know I wasn't alone and it had a name!!

emflem
05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey Joshua? I've experienced it b4 about 7 yrs ago, I know exactly what ure saying about accepting the way that your looking at the world and your brain getting used to it and I'll tell you now that's utter bollocks :) don't feel alone man, when the anxiety subsides the madness of it all will leave you, only a week ago I was asking for help myself, it's hard to see when your in that frame of mind, mine sort of reminds me of the matrix, really feel like I'm looking at something more than what everyone else can see, it's not, it's literally a side effect of extreme anxiety, a perceptual distortion through lack of seratonin in your brain ( happy juice), concentrate on accepting your anxious feelings and ignore the weirdness of it all and it will fade without you realising it. Jon

I really feel as though I took the "red pill" in matrix, I'm going deeper into the rabbit hole. I'm seeing things so bluntly, as though I am new to this world or as an alien would. Its blowing my mind the concepts of reality. What is my reality? human nature and social norms are so peculiar. It causes me so much distress because I never cared or thought this way before. I'm having a hard time separating my physical self from my psyche. I feel like usually people either turn to religion or the psychiatric ward at this point. I don't know what to do. I try to stay active or ignore it, but when I go to bed and close my eyes, I can only think about these things.

joshualives
05-10-2011, 09:44 PM
I really feel as though I took the "red pill" in matrix, I'm going deeper into the rabbit hole. I'm seeing things so bluntly, as though I am new to this world or as an alien would. Its blowing my mind the concepts of reality. What is my reality? human nature and social norms are so peculiar. It causes me so much distress because I never cared or thought this way before. I'm having a hard time separating my physical self from my psyche. I feel like usually people either turn to religion or the psychiatric ward at this point. I don't know what to do. I try to stay active or ignore it, but when I go to bed and close my eyes, I can only think about these things.

i know what you mean but to think deeper and deeper seems to only get you deeper into this hole and the hard part is ignoring it like everyone says too but its not so easy
i want to wake up one morning and be happy and no longer worry about the unnecessary worries that flood my mind day in and day out,

im hanging in their we all have to believe that we will get better and really believe it.

what do you dow when you feel this way?

jon mike
05-11-2011, 04:01 AM
You have to actively ignore the side effects of anxiety I.e your feeling of unreality, you don't 'have to' ignore because it will go away as soon as your anxiety has lowered from it's peak so don't feel that if you don't then you are doomed, it just quickens the process of lowering your anxiety if these feeling/thoughts are not on your mind, it's a vicious circle, 3 weeks ago I was 'stuck' in it myself, it's utter rubbish, it's nothing other than a trick that mind is playing on you, don't give it the time of day, I kept myself busy, I didn't stop doing what I wanted to do, I didn't stay indoors and dwell on it, I even bought a little greenhouse and started growing vegetables, Jesus, me growing vegetables!! Ha ha, anything to take you from that place man, even if it's for moments at a time it's still worth it, I saw it like a trick, think to yourself that your not going mad and your anxiety will drop to that certain point that it has to and before you no it you won't be thinking like that anymore you will be back to normal,trust me ive been in that world shit and although I don't envy you, I know you'll be fine and you will even laugh at your thoughts after I tell you!!!! Stay cool man

Robbed
05-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Ye I understand it's never been proven but not once have I ever experienced derealisation and been in a happy state of mind, you've got to be feeling low before you get there, that's what I believe anyway

This is true. But it still doesn't mean that low serotonin is the problem.

jon mike
05-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Yep this is true, I like the idea of pinpointing something though, so ive got something to blame :-)

nickom
05-14-2011, 11:53 PM
This was actually a big help for me. Thank you jon mike

jon mike
05-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Cool, that's nice to know, I just think for me personally it's the worst part of anxiety, I can't cope with the shear hell of it all, it's harrowing, I dont like the normal feelings of anxiety I get but this I feel is just the most devastating thing to have entered my brain ever. Again, all anxiety driven!!!

joshualives
05-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Cool, that's nice to know, I just think for me personally it's the worst part of anxiety, I can't cope with the shear hell of it all, it's harrowing, I dont like the normal feelings of anxiety I get but this I feel is just the most devastating thing to have entered my brain ever. Again, all anxiety driven!!!

it does get better although i havent fully ridden myself of this feeling its becoming easier to ignore

in the last 3 days it has been decreasing and when i do begin to feel this way i simply ignore it, which 2 weeks ago would have seemed impossible to do but it really is that easy

you have to make a decision at some point that you are not going to let your anxiety take over, its not easy let me tell you, it took me a long time to finally realize that no other person can trully help you but yourself its up to you.

it can only get better or worse its up to you,

EMZ
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Sorry to bring an old thread up but i found this a very good thread to read. I am suffering from Depersonalisation and can't wait to get through it :) I've suffered from it in the past so i know i can get through it. Think positive!! :)