PDA

View Full Version : Yo!

jessikachu
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi, my name is Jessica. I've been dealing with GAD my whole, young life. I didn't really realize what was wrong until about two or three years ago. I get anxious about day to day activities, have racing thoughts, and different physical symptoms caused by the anxiety. About nine months ago I finally decided to bite the bullet and try some anti-depressants for my anxiety. First I was on citalopram (Celexa) for 7 months. It worked very well for me and it was amazing to find out what its like to feel "normal". All of my racing thoughts and physical pains went away. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it because I gained 40lbs and was continuing to gain weight despite a 1400 calorie a day diet and lots of exercise. My doctor then switched me to Prozac to see if it would help me lose some weight and work for my anxiety. After about two months I realized the Prozac was the cause of my sudden panic attacks, and still I continued to gain weight despite diet and exercise. So, in total, 50lbs later I decided to stop the meds all together. My doctor and I both agreed that my body cannot take the extreme weight gain. I'm 5' 8"/23 years old, and before the meds I was 120lbs (a little too skinny, I know), and now I'm sitting at 165-170lbs. As you see, I have a very small frame/bone structure so, it become a problem. I was crushed that I had to make that decision. However, I have been off the meds for a month now, and I'm actually doing pretty well anxiety-wise. All of my symptoms did come back, but I'm able to cope so much better now that I know what's real and what isn't, what's ridiculous, etc. Unfortunately, I have not lost any weight. I have actually gained another 5lbs since quitting the meds. I have continued the diet and exercise religiously. I plan on calling my doc next week because obviously I need to find out what's up.
So, that's a little bit about my situation. It'd be nice if anyone has any insight on my weight issue.

Jessica

lifeconfusion6179
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
hi jessi, kind of hard to figure the weight issue since you have stopped the meds. If you exercise thats great but you have to look at your diet. i hope your not skipping meals because all that will do is slow your metabolism down. check your diet because it seems like you doing everything else right. hope this helps

jessikachu
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey, thanks!
Yeah, I'm definitely not skipping meals. I eat a meal once every four hours and snacks in between so I'm really eating about every two hours.
I might have spoke too soon. For about a month now, like I said I've been continuing to gain, but actually since I posted this I weighed myself and it turns out that I've lost 5lbs in the last week! I'm very excited because this is the first time I've seen the scale go down in 9 months! Hopefully it continues! :)

lifeconfusion6179
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
jumping the gun i see. We all do that but thats excellent hope it continues for you. :)