PDA

View Full Version : Fear of being inside, being alone

wundermadchen
04-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I actually already posted this to a livejournal community, so I apologize if you read it there!

Background: I am 23 years old, with a long history of anxiety issues (on top of bipolar).

I was just having a discussion with my 16-year-old sister today that makes me think she is dealing with some kind of anxiety disorder - the language she was using reminded me of how I described my anxiety issues when I was around her age. However, the way her anxiety seems to be manifesting is so totally different than the way I was/am generally affected that I'm not even sure if anxiety is what it is. She gave me her permission to ask about it here.

She described feeling "freaked out" (her words - I asked her to elaborate, it sounded like a panicky reaction) when she is at home, and feeling a serious need to be outside. She wants to eat all of her meals outside, wants to walk everywhere, etc., which is great, but not if you are having a panic attack at the thought of being in your house. It really seems localized to her house, too, rather than just an inside/outside thing - she dislikes having friends over because she feels that she is "trapped" inside.

Another thing she mentioned was that she is sometimes, out of nowhere, really afraid of my mother and the idea of my mother finding out that she has done something wrong - this set off an alarm for me, because this was a HUGE part of the way my anxiety manifested in high school. My mom can be a bit of a yeller, but I think I was grounded maybe once all throughout high school (for...a really, really groundable offense). She's not a mean, punish-happy person, and was always very confused why I thought she was going to punish me all the time.

My sister did mention that at least a part of the reason she is afraid of punishment is that she is extremely uncomfortable having someone control her actions (especially if she is being made to stay inside).

Finally, my sister said that she is often extremely fearful that her friends are having fun without her while she is inside and not with them. She might not be able to go to a local summer festival, and she nearly had a breakdown at the idea that people would be socializing while she was not there.

Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Everyone I know with anxiety issues, myself included, seems to have anxiety about leaving the house, about going out and socializing, and she seems to be the direct opposite. Thanks in advance for any comments!

lifeconfusion6179
05-01-2011, 04:12 PM
im sort of like that. but because if im home i tend to think too much about my anxiety and that bothers me. what helps with my anxiety is keeping busy and distracting me from my negative thoughts. also, when someone comes over i start to get anxious because i also feel trapped aswell and cant leave because its my house and it looks weird to have to take a breath of fresh air from your own home. so, i tend to walk around alot or make frequent trips to the bathroom. anxiety is different for all and it varies in intensity. seems like she needs to be distracted that is why she rather be out and about then stay home. hope this helps

Feelingblue
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I am new to all this anxiety stuff and what you have described there is almost exactly how i feel. Its almost like i am afraid of being in my own house. I agree with the above post thats its easier outside where you can distract yourself.