PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go?

KarlyJ
04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Warning: Rant. Read only if you want to.

I don't know where else to start, so I guess it will be here with this forum. My name is Karly and I'm 17. I have not been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, probably never will be because I couldn't ever afford the therapy. But I definitely have one.

I don't recognize myself anymore. I haven't for months, and even before that it was building up without my knowledge. I'm not myself around others because I'm afraid to be. I'm not even myself to me anymore. I tell myself lies and let myself slip into denial because it makes things easier. I know it's a cliche, but I've built up walls and locked myself outside of them. I can't access the feelings I know that I have deeper down, because I've been pushing them away from me for years.

I've always had low-self esteem but usually it did not stop me from expressing myself and realizing that I at least had some things going for me. As a pre-teen and in my early teen years I thought I was extremely flawed, but I realize now that I was far more beautiful then then I am now, because I let myself be me. I used to write a lot, essays, songs, poetry, and I was good. My emotion, my thoughts and opinions flowed easily onto paper and I would let anyone read the words I wrote. I wanted them to see me, understand me. I can't do it anymore. The words don't come out right, or don't come at all. I sing too, or at least I used to. I have a halfway decent singing voice and I used that also to express myself. But I can't feel music anymore, can't relate to it like I used to because my emotions are buried down. And somehow it seems I can't sing as well as I used to, not just noticed by me but by others too, as if the anxiety has triggered some kind of physical repression.

Every day I ask myself where that person is now, that beautiful, talented girl who wanted the whole world to understand her and thought that she had the power to make them. The one who was clever and insightful. The anxiety swallowed her whole. She feared not ever being fully accepted or appreciated. So she stopped trying to be herself. And now I miss her. I know she is still a part of me, but she's buried so deep and I don't know how to find her.

It's hard to say this because I've convinced myself that nobody will care enough to take my feelings into consideration and because certain people have taught me that my emotions are a weakness and that I shouldn't show them. But know I'm only alone in this if I keep letting myself be, so that's why I'm here. I don't know even that I'm asking for help, but I am asking for people to listen to me and encourage me to be myself. Feel free to send me a message if you want, I will answer it gladly.

And thank you for reading.. I really appreciate your time.

Moonlight Mile
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi Karly,
Good on you for coming here. I kept it inside for years and it just snowballs if you do so. I'm 37 and if I had it to do over I'd have talked to people many many years ago. But I was ashamed and kept it secret and things just got worse and worse. Things improved when I told my primary doctor what was going on as well as friends and family (though I have depression and I found that telling my family caused them worry...but the panic stuff they've been very helpfull)

Why can't you afford a therapist? No insurance? Do you have a primary DR? My primary doctor has helped me waaaay more than a therapist did. The therapist I saw was worthless.

Whatever the case, you are young...I *wish* I took care of this that early, you have the chance to deal with this at a young age. Def talk to your Dr. I'm glad I finally did and wish I had done so earlier.

KarlyJ
04-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks Moonlight Mile. I do have a primary doctor and I've always liked him and thought he had a much better bedside manner than other doctors I've seen, so maybe you're right about him being able to help. I guess the biggest thing that I'm scared of is being told that I'm just a teen growing up and that my emotions are normal and to be expected. I really don't think that they are, my anxiety and related depression stop me on a regular basis from living the life I want to. Already two other doctors (not my primary) have not taken me seriously and said that when I queried about the possibility of a hormone imbalance that could be effecting my mental health. I hate that feeling of not being taken seriously, it just makes me even less likely to ask for help.

Moonlight Mile
04-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I understand...when I first asked my Dr about going on Paxil cuz I was avoiding social events he said "It won't make you the life of the party"...which was kinda insulting honestly...so I had to describe to him in great detail some of the episodes I'd been having. I actually typed out a list of episodes and symptoms. And he realized that i had a real issue.

Unfortunately, your age works against you...as sadly some adults tend to think a 17 year old doesn't have the same problems. (as you mentioned that you are afraid you'll be told it's just from growing up) That's what I thought as well and it manifested in my late 20's. I wish I had been vocal about what was going on when I was younger.

When you talk to your DR I would describe specific episodes, if you need to type up a description, do so (it worked for me) Be determined and firm with him that you have a very real issue that NEEDS to be taken seriously.

KarlyJ
04-28-2011, 08:29 PM
That's a good idea, I may try it. I'm guessing he'll probably diagnose me with social anxiety disorder, and maybe general as well. I worry about the stupidest things sometimes. I don't want to use medications though, not unless I absolutely have to.

Moonlight Mile
04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Well if you want to avoid meds, I'm sure he could refer you to a therapist...if you have a primary doc I'm assuming you have health ins, yes?...if you have refferall from your DR it should certainly be covered. I know I got a referral from my DR to a therapist and I payed like 10 bucks a session.

Whatever the case, if you are posting about this on an anxiety forum, you are clearly having troubles that need to be addressed. Def tell your DR what's going on...and if he tries to dismiss it, let him know it's beyond general teenage angst.

just1
04-29-2011, 04:55 AM
I know that you do want to go to a professional but count yourself lucky. Because all a psychologist is going to do is ruin you and make you even worse. All they do is listen to your story and prescribe to you some medicine. Your only going going to get worse. So count yourself lucky as one of the few who haven't hit rock bottom from meds.

What I do recommend you try instead is the Anxiety Free Children Program. This online course is dedicated to all kids and teenagers struggling with anxiety. And the thing with this program is that you won't have to take any medication to get better. They have audio lessons, video lessons, pdf files and much more. I would rather see you get better from these types of programs rather than some medication. You can get the programm here- http://tinyurl.com/FreeYourChildFromAnxiety

I strongly suggest you get this. Ask your parents if they could get this for you. I personally believe you will get better very soon after getting it. There is alsoany testimonials, so feel free to read those.

Hope I Helped...:)

God Bless

JustWannaLive
05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Karly, I just joined this site today and was reading thru what people have wrote. What you said really touched me because I feel so similiar :( I'm 18 and a creative passionate person, or at least I was. If you'd like you can message me anytime.

joshualives
05-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Karly, I just joined this site today and was reading thru what people have wrote. What you said really touched me because I feel so similiar :( I'm 18 and a creative passionate person, or at least I was. If you'd like you can message me anytime.

i too am 18, i love music and creativity and this has become so hard i too feel similar and at times i get so discouraged because im experiencing all this fear at such a young age,

im ready to get better.