PDA

View Full Version : New here - question

squirt
10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone. I have come a long way after suffering from just about every form of anxiety thanks to learning exercises to help me in a cognitive behavioral therapy program, but I do have one lingering problem. Does anyone else find their anxiety ramp up when they are sick with a cold or flu? I am pretty good at keeping my anxiety down to manageable levels but when I get sick it seems to come back with a vengance? Not to the point like it used to where it would incapacitate me but to a level where it is still annoying though. I'm looking forward to hearing others problems and trying to help anyone who I can since i am generally doing good now. Cheers!

scatmantom
10-12-2006, 02:43 PM
hi and welcome squirt

I can relate to this...i think its just that our bodies are weak when we are ill. Personnally it takes alot out of me to contain the anxiety...and when ill ive got less energy to contain it so its more visible.

hope you get well soon and back to ur comfortable state!

Kayla23
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I agree. My anxiety gets worse if i'm very ill. or have a fever. My heart tends to palpitate more. its strange

squirt
10-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the responses and the welcome. I am relieved to hear that it is not just me. I had a fever for a few days and my anxiety level ramped up more than it has since I learned coping skills in my group. I am happy to report that I am now feeling much better both mentally and physically. I hope you both are having an anxiety free day!

scatmantom
10-22-2006, 05:11 PM
ive just gotten over a bit of a flu. It made my symptoms much worse, I find it hard to distinguish between my anxiety symptoms and the illness symptoms!!!

Andy_14
10-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I am not suprised to hear that other people feel the same way I do when they are sick. When I have a cold I have extreme symptoms. I feel like something awful is going to happen. Deep dread and I feel like no one likes me at all. What's worse is that I am so stressed out all the time that I can get sick very easily. The insomnia and stress have my immune system on the ropes. I get sick so much that my co-workers ask me if getting sick is part of my weekend plans. Its funny because its true. :roll:

squirt
11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
ive just gotten over a bit of a flu. It made my symptoms much worse, I find it hard to distinguish between my anxiety symptoms and the illness symptoms!!!

I know exactly what you mean by not being able to distinguish between the two sometimes and it really blows!