PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions for helping me?

derkmesiter
10-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Does anyone have any books or techniques they recommend for helping to deal with anxiety, etc? I'm considering joining a CBT group, but it's a little pricey. thx.

squirt
10-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I was in a cbt group and it has helped me immensely. If you can join one I would highly recommend it. If not there are lots of good books on cbt you could get. One of the ones we used in my group has a really good introduction to the whole process called Been there, done that? do this! by sam obitz. The tea form exercise in that book has helped me a ton and I still do them all the time when I get upset or anxious. Best of luck to you and try cbt one way or the other :)

derkmesiter
10-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Amazon seems to be out of stock of that Obitz book. Can you tell me where else to find it? I sure hope you see this message.

Bubbywu
10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I can't remember the author, but when I was first diagnosed with Agoraphobia I read a book called Living Fear Free. It helped me understand myself a lot better.

Chele

tokajosi
10-29-2006, 08:28 PM
There are several techniques recomended to deal with anxiety.The following are the alternitive ways.Recovery from an anxiety disorder is a journey for many of us. A treatment approach often involves a variety of methods from self-help to therapy to medication to alternatives. Cognitive behavioral therapy, relaxation techniques, white noise, biofeedback, and hypnotherapy are also suggested for the treatment of anxiety disorder. Alternative treatment such as acupuncture, and yoga, are also used in the treatment of anxiety disorder. Kava Kava, hops, St. John's wort, passion flower, and chamomile are some of the recommended herbal remedies for anxiety treatment.

In conclusion, if you can have a relaxed mind and sound body, you can prevent anxiety disorders. Adopt practices such as exercise, proper diet and mental relaxation techniques to avoid anxiety disorders.

Shallow breathing may lead to increased anxiety and even panic attacks; some people theorize that improper breathing is the entire cause of panic attacks. In any case, learning proper breathing will help too. Spending time in nature reduce stress and anxiety. Environmental psychologists believe our surroundings influence our mental health. I hope this info helped you. :)

squirt
11-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I ordered my copy on-line. here's the link:
http://www.supertao.com/order_book.html
there is also more info about the book on the links at the top of the order page.
God luck and I hope it is helpful for you.

cardiff40yo
11-13-2006, 05:51 AM
1 to 1 therapy with an analytical therapist...
release repressed emotions,
cure the anxiety....!
or an analytical hypnotherapist near you!
g.

derkmesiter
11-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I have already read most of the book. I can see this is going to be helpful and it seems worth every penny!

thanks!

squirt
12-07-2006, 03:10 PM
You're welcome Derk. Concentrate on doing the tea form exercise everyday and whewnever you are feeling anxious and you will get more and more benefits from it over time if you are anything like me. Take care.

derkmesiter
12-08-2006, 02:28 PM
:D

squirt
12-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Feel free to message me if you need help or advice on doing the exercises like the tea form. I'd also be intertested in hearing how you are progressing.
Have a happy new year Derk!

derkmesiter
12-31-2006, 01:34 PM
I just had a mild panic attack at the airport, and I used a TEA form while parked on the side of loading area in my car. That sounds a little overly dramatic but it was helpful.

Happy New Year to you as well

squirt
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Good job Derk. I use them in a more preventive way in that I always do them first thing in the morning to get my day off on the right foot. But when I was in the midst of a panic episode the tea form was a great way to interrupt the cycle of thoughts and calm down for me too.

derkmesiter
02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I will look for that!

squirt
03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
How are things going Derk? I have been thinking about you :)

squirt
05-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Derk are you still coming here to read the forums? If you are I was wondering how you are coming along with everything. I hope the fact that I have not heard back from me means you are doing well :P

ardrum
05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
What is the tea form exercise? Can anyone give a summary, or is a description available online?

I think I have mostly mild anxiety issues, but it can move to moderate anxiety when I'm interacting in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar people (that's the worst). I've never had any kind of panic attack or anything though.

squirt
05-08-2007, 11:20 PM
The tea form is the cbt thought countering exercise outlined in the book I mentioned by Obitz that helps eliminate anxiety and reduce stress. They have helped me a great deal.

derkmesiter
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
On the whole I am doing well. I actually got off track for awhile and didn't understand why I was slipping back into old patterns, and then I realized that I had stopped using my TEA forms. As soon as I got back on that horse (so to speak) I have been feeling and doing better again. Such a simple tool, but so useful!

squirt
08-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Good to hear you are doing well other than when you fell off your horse ;)
Keep countering those thoughts in your tea forms and don't be such a stranger okay? :D

derkmesiter
09-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Are you still around? How is CBT going with you?

squirt
10-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes I'm still alive and kicking :P Things are really good right now in my life and I am still doing my TEA forms everyday to keep my anxiety manageable. What's new with you and I hope you are still on that horse ;)

derkmesiter
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
It's an old Clydesdale but yes I'm still on it and (thanks to Sam Obitz) we're plodding along into the sunset of emotional health. :P

squirt
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
You are a funny guy... A Clydesdale huh? Does that mean you are drinking bud these days lol! Happy New Year and I hope you are keeping your anxieties under control :)

Beachgirl
01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
I hear you guys. I finished a cbt group this past summer and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. We used the book squirt mentioned by Sam Obitz and the TEA exercise is off the chain. I was reluctant at first but once I started doing them daily and added in exposure therapy I started feeling so much better!

trackstar
06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I just finished a cbt group and i think it is awesome. In just 16-weeks I feel better than I ever have before. It teaches you skills to manage your anxiety for the rest of your life. They encouraged us to keep doing the tea form exercise and said we'd continue to improve even more.

squirt
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Beachgirl good job and keep doing the TEA forms and you'll keep making even more progress if your experience is anything like mine.

Trackstar, welcome to the site and keep posting. Cbt has helped a lot of people and hopefully the more people who come on here and post about their experiences with cbt and tea forms the more people that will give it a try and have good results with it :D

cooliomanx
06-23-2008, 05:05 PM
just try to control your mind cos all anxiety start from the mind .. once you are able to control it you do not need any other alternative pal. Try to deviate your thinking to other things like going on a holiday or something that can make u real happy. Im sure there is .. once you can do it then all ur worries are gone.

Beachgirl
06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
just try to control your mind cos all anxiety start from the mind .. once you are able to control it you do not need any other alternative pal.
This is money! Learn to get out of your head and into the moment using the TEA forms opr whatever and you will feel so much better and fast too :shock:

squirt
07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
just try to control your mind cos all anxiety start from the mind .. once you are able to control it you do not need any other alternative pal.
This is money! Learn to get out of your head and into the moment using the TEA forms opr whatever and you will feel so much better and fast too :shock:

I agree with this as well. It all starts in your mind like Cooliomanx said. Cbt and the exercises like TEA form are great for helping your get out of your head and back to enjoying what life has to offer :D

trackstar
07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks Coolio, you nailed it. Get out of your head and into your daily life.

trackstar
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey Coolio what's up and how you been? I hope your new year is off to a great start.

Beachgirl
02-07-2009, 09:37 PM

I agree with this as well. It all starts in your mind like Cooliomanx said. Cbt and the exercises like TEA form are great for helping your get out of your head and back to enjoying what life has to offer :D

I agree with both of you and thanks for quoting my earlier reply. I can't state enough how much better CBT and TEA forms are for you than the meds the pharm industry pushes on us to help us, but also keep us from ever truly getting better at the same time so they can make more money by keeping us hooked.

trackstar
03-24-2009, 02:14 PM

I agree with both of you and thanks for quoting my earlier reply. I can't state enough how much better CBT and TEA forms are for you than the meds the pharm industry pushes on us to help us, but also keep us from ever truly getting better at the same time so they can make more money by keeping us hooked.

Amen to that last part about keeping us hooked!
Coolio what's up you still around? Hit me back brotha :)

trackstar
05-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Coolio not in tha house :?

tmays
05-18-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm with everyone else here. Learning CBT and the TEA forms are the best antidote to anxiety.

Hanino
05-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Hello I'm new to this subject can some one tell me what are the CBT and TEA forms?

tmays
05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
No prob bro, I'm new here too :)
CBT stands for cognitive behavioral therapy.
TEA forms are the thought countering exercise from the cbt book by sam obitz that teaches you how to get rid of your anxiety and physical symptoms.

trackstar
06-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello I'm new to this subject can some one tell me what are the CBT and TEA forms?

Welcome Hanino. I see you were already answered but let me know if you have other CBT or TEA form questions. It's great stuff if you use it. :)

tmays
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
What up Hanino? Just wanted to make sure you got my reply buddy?

tmays
08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Hanino did you ever give CBT a try bro? I hope your summer is good and you are mostly anxiety free :P

trackstar
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Hanino,

I'm still around if you have any questions on cbt or the tea forms. I hope you cave cbt a try it works great for many people.

Beachgirl
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Welcome Hanino. I see you were already answered but let me know if you have other CBT or TEA form questions. It's great stuff if you use it. :)

Hi Hanino and welcome :D
I'm not posting much anymore but wanted to let you know that cbt and tea forms have worked wonders for me. I still use the tea forms almost everyday. Hope you are doing well.\ and hi to all
:tongue:

tmays
11-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Hanino,

I'm still around if you have any questions on cbt or the tea forms. I hope you cave cbt a try it works great for many people.

Me too Hanino or anyone else who has questions :)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Beachgirl
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Hanino,

Me too Hanino or anyone else who has questions :)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Thx and happy holidays to you too :D

tandre
12-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Try looking up the study of mindfullness and DBT which is a specialized form of DBT. Not strictly for anxiety sufferers but some great stuff that applies including the concept of mindfullness, emotional regulation and the relaxation excercises.

Marsha Linehan developed it

tmays
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
DBT sounds a lot like CBT. I'm all for anything that teaches coping skills!

Beachgirl
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Me too! Can't argue with the success I have found using CBT and TEA forms. I think anything that teaches you how to help yourself has value added benefits of improved confidence and self-esteem :)

tmays
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Me too! Can't argue with the success I have found using CBT and TEA forms. I think anything that teaches you how to help yourself has value added benefits of improved confidence and self-esteem :)

I totally agree. The TEA forms and CBT are what worked for me too but I think it is essential to have them or some other coping skills to make real lasting progress.

fastpara
02-27-2010, 12:36 PM
This is really a awesome thread since I have considered Cbt myself but it is just so pricey that I dont want to jump into it without knowing that it actually gives some results. all I have tried until now is the linden method which actually helped me alot.

Beachgirl
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
This is really a awesome thread since I have considered Cbt myself but it is just so pricey that I dont want to jump into it without knowing that it actually gives some results. all I have tried until now is the linden method which actually helped me alot.

That's great that Linden helped you. I hear it is commercialized version of cbt. You can read cbt books like the one I like by Sam Obitz for free at the library and if you use the TEA forms everyday I think they will help you a lot :D

anxietyguy
03-26-2010, 02:47 PM
hi there

I dont want to blow my own trumpet too load but I have a book based on my own anxiety experiences for the past few years I call it the anxiety healing book

you can access it it at my blog --link is below

in it i cover all the techniques i have found that have worked over the years

anxietyguy
03-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Theres allot of good stuff out there at the moment

at the risk of blowing my own trumpet I think the info on my blog could help give you useful info.

tmays
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Like Beachgirl said you can read the book and do the tea forms for free if you check it out at a library and the book is less than $20.00 so well worth it if you are willing to do the TEA form exercise. Good luck!

doug123
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Probably the biggest thing that has helped me has been exercise. I release excess adrenaline into my punching bag for 30 to 45 minutes and feel much, much better !

I also take valerian root, vitamin b-12, magnesium and fish oil supplements.

tmays
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Exercise is always a good idea in concert with whatever else you are using for your anxiety.

trackstar
05-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Like Beachgirl said you can read the book and do the tea forms for free if you check it out at a library and the book is less than $20.00 so well worth it if you are willing to do the TEA form exercise. Good luck!

Rather than type the same thing I'll just echo what beachgirl and tmays said above. Talk about a no risk proposition unlike other programs that offer the same info for $500 and up this is a no brainer and puts the onus on you. If you do the TEA forms you will see results and if you don't you won't. Either way you won't be out a ton of money :)

tmays
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Great post and points trackstar! What have you got too lose?

Social Anxiety Solutions
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Hey guys,

Sebastiaan here :-)

I'm an ex sufferer, have had social anxiety for close to a decade and I'm a social confidence coach. I'm here to share and I'd like to tell you a bit about what helps.

Now I'm not here to tell you about the one and only thing that works. I also don't know everything and I might probably learn a thing or two from you as well. But I am successful in what I do and would like to share here what I know so maybe you guys can benefit from it.

To solve my own social anxiety disorder I've tried just about any tool, technique, strategy, program or mindset on the market. CBT, Hypnosis, NLP, Time line therapy, affirmations and visualizations, sedona method, Energy resourcing, EFT/MTT, just about any self help technique or counter/change your thinking strategy you can find and much more that I probably forget now...

And you know what, most of it works! But most of it works either a little, is not lasting, or takes forever! Of all the therapies/tools etc I mentioned above I'd like to pick out the best and tell you a bit about my view on them..

Of the common know therapies CBT is the best. If you have a great CBT-er that knows how to work with social anxiety (has experience with it and has been successful) and you commit to it, do all the exercises and persist you will get success.

The downside of CBT however, is that itīs pricy, you have to do a lot of work, you have to face your fears, it takes a long time and you wonīt recover 100%... At least thatīs been what I know of it.

I am looking for social confidence in ALL social situations.

Coping with your social anxiety is a useful approach to take if you have to. But thatīs not really a solution. Or at least not a long term one (it wasn't to me).

What if you can actually get rid of your social anxiety completely? And by that I mean the anxious feelings and negative thoughts not even coming to surface... Truly enjoying socializing and having a satisfied social life (whatever that means to you)

That's what I've been chasing all this time. This is what I'd like to tell you about a little.

I've used all the therapies but one above and attacked my social anxiety. In about 4/5 years of effort I solved maybe 50% of my social anxiety.

Not bad, but still no freedom.

Then I found this video on youtube about EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). And I thought it was the stupidest thing ever. And I thought all the claims the guy made were complete bullsh%t. And that the guy was a d&*k for fooling desperate people. Anyway, after a few weeks/months I found yet again some info on it. And I googled it and found thousands of testimonials. And also hundreds of videos on youtube about it. So this got me curious. It might work after all if it works for so many other people!

But...

It didn't work for me (couldn't feel any emotions). At least not at first. And I tried hard. But since they said it would work for everyone I persisted. I eventually took a workshop in the Netherlands (where I'm from) and in the 1 on 1 work you do in there I saw people around me all getting results. Except for me.

But when I worked with the workshop leader and had him try this EFT thing on me I felt a shift. I noticed that my anxiety and shame speaking of a certain thing (in this case it was my lack of success with women) decreased. Right there in the moment!

After that experience I worked 1 on 1 with the workshop facilitator and solved almost all my remaining social anxiety in a few weeks (!!)

So by now I was hooked of course. I started to learn more and more, took workshops, got certified, started to try on all my friends, started to coach people myself, worked with the Masters in EFT and became pretty good at what I'm doing.

This is where I'm now.

I'm coaching people 1 on 1 via skype and I've released a Social Confidence System (based on EFT) a few weeks ago. Now of course I am here to promote my coaching and my system. But I'm doing this because it works. This is really the last thing you are looking for to finally beat your social anxiety once and for all.

And if you're not interested in my system or in working with me, then that's fine too! No worries, I'm here to bring the message :-) But trust me, this EFT thing is the real deal and the most effective tool out there to overcome your social anxiety (if you know how to use it!)

A bit of info on social anxiety...

Social anxiety disorder is something we "learned" in life. I said this in an earlier post as well, but we are NOT born with it. When we are born we only have two basic fears; the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. And even though we might be born with a naturally more shy personality, or with genes that have a higher susceptibility to social scrutiny, we are NOT born with a social anxiety disorder.

And even if you have genes with a higher susceptibility, you can even influence those with your beliefs (for more info on this I highly recommend “The biology of belief by Bruce Lipton)...

So since we are not born with it, we have to conclude that we have “learned” our social anxiety somewhere in life. And we have learned it by our experiences. And these have caused us limiting beliefs (yet we also have limiting beliefs directly from our parents, teachers, siblings etc as well) and stuck negative emotions.

Your social anxiety disorder is -very simply said- an accumulation of negative beliefs and negative emotions (and blocks..). And by using EFT in the right way you can get rid of all of these. So you can basically "unlearn" your social anxiety. Once you do that, the anxiety and negative thinking won't come up for you anymore.

So you don't need to reframe your thinking, make thought bubbles, counter your thoughts etc etc. You simply will feel at ease in social situations.

Now I realize that I might make it sound easier than it really is. Because it does require you to do some serious work on yourself. And it's going to take you a bit of time.

But EFT is absolutely 100% the most effective, powerful, long lasting tool that is out there. So if you're looking for a solution, this is what you're looking for.

If you are interested in my Social Confidence System that takes you from social anxiety all the way to social confidence -you do this yourself, following exercises, audios, videos- or my personal 1 on 1 skype coaching, please visit my site. Here you will find the specific, a video message of me and everything else.

If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them.

All the best,
Sebastiaan

Anthony DiClementi
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
For me it's as much about the CBT side of things as it is about putting healthy foods and drinks in my body and getting enough sleep. It's a lifestyle choice combining all these practices that I've found works best for me.

Beachgirl
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Of the common know therapies CBT is the best. If you have a great CBT-er that knows how to work with social anxiety (has experience with it and has been successful) and you commit to it, do all the exercises and persist you will get success.

The downside of CBT however, is that itīs pricy, you have to do a lot of work, you have to face yor fears, it takes a long time and you wonīt recover 100%... At least thatīs been what I know of it.

All the best,
Sebastiaan

CBT does not have to be pricey at all. In fact you can do it for free through books like the short one by Sam Obitz if you read it at your local library. I have turned several friends onto it and they all made great strides. The key is your dedication to countering your thoughts in the TEA forms etc. That's what I loved about CBT, it was up to me to get better and taught me how to help myself rather than rely on a therapist. I consider myself 100% better and it has been years with no looking back.

Beachgirl
07-16-2010, 05:02 PM
For me it's as much about the CBT side of things as it is about putting healthy foods and drinks in my body and getting enough sleep. It's a lifestyle choice combining all these practices that I've found works best for me.

Good job Anthony :mrgreen:

louiseevans222
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
There is a very powerful software I use, and the amazing thing it's FREE, it helps over come anxiety within weeks...

Some claim a few days...

Not just anxiety, you can use this software for anything...

I recommend it, its really helped me....

its made me relaxed, happy, calm, confident, full of life!

ENJOY ;)

To download this FREE software click the link below

tmays
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
That sounds great Louis! What type of therapy is the software based on?

Beachgirl
08-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Louiseevans,

This line above from your post sounds likes an infomercial. I am not saying what you had to say did not have merit, but it comes across poorly without any supporting details on HOW it works/helps?
So what is form of help is it based on?

trackstar
09-05-2010, 01:03 PM
LOL. I thought the same thing!

tmays
10-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Louiseevans,

This line above from your post sounds likes an infomercial. I am not saying what you had to say did not have merit, but it comes across poorly without any supporting details on HOW it works/helps?
So what is form of help is it based on?

The message board police strike again ;)

Beachgirl
10-25-2010, 01:46 PM
What can I say? I call them as I see them and I note he never replied!!!!

jgiannettict
10-25-2010, 07:04 PM
I have cured my anxiety.......

Check the link below.....it really helped me...I thought I was gonna die.

tmays
12-14-2010, 04:35 PM
What can I say? I call them as I see them and I note he never replied!!!!

And we love you (most of the time lol) for it :tongue:

Beachgirl
01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks Tmays.
I hope the new year is going well for you? Hugs :)

bigcat1967
03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
There are books on how to do CBT by yourself. However, seeing a specialist would be a lot better.

Robbed
03-18-2011, 04:42 PM
There are books on how to do CBT by yourself. However, seeing a specialist would be a lot better.

Seeing a specialist may or may not be better. You would have to find just the right person. Otherwise, you are better off going at it yourself. Back when I tried therapy, I had HORRIBLE luck with therapists. If this was any indication of how good therapists generally are, then finding the right person could be hard. Here's what I didn't like about therapists:

1. They generally tried to get me to go the medication route. They tried to convince me that medication is something I NEED.

2. They all basically told me that anxiety disorder is incurable, and that it can only be managed. But I would never truly be well.

3. They treated me like I was too stupid and too helpless to help myself. They seemed to believe that they knew better, and that I couldn't think for myself.

4. If I said I had difficulty doing something (ie finding a job, trying to meet people, etc), their typical response was something along the lines of 'You don't really WANT to do these things, do you? If you did, you would try harder.' I could not convince them otherwise. They were convinced that they knew me better than I know myself. The LAST thing I needed was to pay someone to increase my feelings of self-doubt.

5. When I consider everything that has actually helped me to get through anxiety disorder, NOTHING came from a therapist. EVER!

When you look at everything here, therapy was ANYTHING but empowering for me. In fact, the therapists I saw generally seemed to do nothing more than try to confirm my worst fears about anxiety disorder, as well as SO many of my negative thoughts. It's really no wonder that those who get through anxiety disorder generally do so on their own.

Robbed
03-20-2011, 06:16 AM
I spent spent time with my first mental health worker , who from what i know now was in training . The best she could do was tell me to breath , no why i should breath just breath. All she wanted to do was push me onto drugs and not address the problem at hand . It was all oh this is happening or that is happening but that was not the problem .

Honestly, I think that LOTS of therapists resort to 'drug pushing' (at least to some degree) in order to 'cover' themselves. They figure that drugs might provide at least some relief, which they can then attribute to their 'therapy'. But if you're not on medication, then you will more likely blame any lack of recovery on the therapist, and stop coming. And if you experience side effects, then we all know the solution to that one: increase your dosage!

Then we moved on to the next one . I went to her because i was being effected by not being able to drive . I need to drive for work and all i wanted to know was why it was happening and how i could fix it . She never once answered this question . Instead she focused on crap from my past which when i look at it was not normal , but it was normal for me at the time and something i have long ago dealt with . I spent maybe $3000 on her and many hours talking or should i say arguing . This lady i left as it was a waste of time and money . I later found out though a mate that was seeing her that she believed that i had major problem i refused to deal with . Nice ethical thing to be talking about isn't it . I believe that she was one of these ones you talk about that thought that she knew me better than i knew me . If anyone had a major problem it was her , and it was that she needed to learn to shut up and listen to what people where telling here and not assume.

I had a couple of these. No fun. And, much like yourself, I HATE to think about how I could have better spent my money. As far as this therapist talking about you with another patient, I don't know what the law is where you live. But at least here in California (and certainly other US states as well), this is considered a breach of confidentiality. This is grounds for legal action, both civil and criminal.

There was another i saw twice only to have her leave and have to start with another . Then there was the one that said she didnt think i needed to see her . Still trying to work that one out as she never spoke a word to me ever .

Odd, especially since this person was basically turning down money.

The last guy i saw was pretty good i must say but again there was not much he could do as i was telling him much of what he was trying to tell me . We parted on good terms and i will admit that he helped me by simply pointing out that i was feeling sorry for myself .

I had one of these as well. He was basically a good guy. He didn't even push me to take meds. The only problem with him was, well, he just didn't know how to treat abxiety. If he was more competent, he would actually be a pretty good therapist.

I often think that the best people to help someone is someone that has been though it . When you look at a GP . Yes they deal with it daily but they are not trained for it . They may have studied it for a month when they were at school . Then you add in the kick backs from drug companies . If you look at a Psychologist its nearly the same . Yes they train for it but as i am doing this now i think i study anxiety and related things for 13 weeks .

Thats not much time when i think of the 100s of hours i have spent reading about anxiety and the things that are related to it in the last 2 and half years . I know there are good ones out there but you can not get in to see them because of the waiting list . So you get stuck with half wits .

I agree that most 'professionals' are just not adequately trained for this. Part of the problem is that, at least here in the US, pharmaceutical companies have ALOT of say when it comes to writing curricula. So what do you think students are learning? And even if useful information IS taught, it was my experience (at least in mechanical engineering - I'm sure other fields are no different) that LOTS of students just don't learn much, and just squeak by with barely passing grades. Indeed, LOTS of students probably look at learning such things as CBT to simply be a 'nuisance'. You are, of course, right in that the best therapists are those who have been through it. These people KNOW what actually works, and actually have a desire to help people (rather than just make a buck).

As far as the good therapists having waiting lists, things seem to be a little different here in the US. Good therapists generally don't have waiting lists. This is true because (1) health insurance generally doesn't cover therapy, generally making it rather unaffordable, and (2) It's VERY much 'buyer beware' when it comes to finding therapists here. You have no way of knowing for sure whether a therapist is good unless you know someone who has seen that therapist (and who is actually willing to admit they did).

I really do think you are right when you say you are best going alone . If you have question find the answers . But i really think that most treatment that is based on the past is nothing but trouble in the short term . Anxiety is nothing about the past , it is about the way you feel now , in this second and that is what should be dealt with not shit from years ago . Deal with the now then the past not the other way .

Past events can have a HUGE impact on one, and can GREATLY influence the development of anxiety disorder. BUT, talking about these things over and over is NOT going to undo them. Although anxiety disorder has its roots in the past, it must be solved in the present.

Beachgirl
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM

I agree with Robbed. Therapists are a crapshoot and I had way more bad ones than good ones. The bottom line for me was the only lasting help was help I did for myself. When you take responsibility for your improvement it also builds your self-esteem. Once I was shown how to use the TEA forms and then exposures I was the one who got me better not the therapist.

tmays
04-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Great stuff everyone. I agree therapists can make or break you and that's why I like cbt and the tea forms so much. Once you get going on them you don't really need a therapist anymore and that's a fantastic feeling. One of the side benefits of this method for me has been increased confidence as I earned my stripes so to speak by helping myself and not relying on a crutch/therapist.

tinted
04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
EFT videos on Youtube,it s free :)

tinted
04-29-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIrvu78NO0&feature=related

Beachgirl
05-06-2011, 07:26 PM
thx tinted.

squirt
05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi everybody! I found my way back and so nice to see the new version of the boards got rid of the spam prob. Hope everyone is doing great and I plan on posting more again now :)

tmays
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Welcome back squirt. Good to see familiar handles again :)

murdoch
05-19-2011, 01:44 AM
There are several techniques recomended to deal with anxiety.The following are the alternitive ways.Recovery from an anxiety disorder is a journey for many of us. A treatment approach often involves a variety of methods from self-help to therapy to medication to alternatives. Cognitive behavioral therapy, relaxation techniques, white noise, biofeedback, and hypnotherapy are also suggested for the treatment of anxiety disorder. Alternative treatment such as acupuncture, and yoga, are also used in the treatment of anxiety disorder. Kava Kava, hops, St. John's wort, passion flower, and chamomile are some of the recommended herbal remedies for anxiety treatment.

In conclusion, if you can have a relaxed mind and sound body, you can prevent anxiety disorders. Adopt practices such as exercise, proper diet and mental relaxation techniques to avoid anxiety disorders.

Shallow breathing may lead to increased anxiety and even panic attacks; some people theorize that improper breathing is the entire cause of panic attacks. In any case, learning proper breathing will help too. Spending time in nature reduce stress and anxiety. Environmental psychologists believe our surroundings influence our mental health. I hope this info helped you. :)

I find your suggestions quite valid and fruitful.

trackstar
06-06-2011, 12:19 PM
It took me forever to find my way back here, but I did it. Just like use of the TEA forms and other CBT exercises... Persistence pays :)
I'm doing great and hope all of my old friends here are also?

trackstar
07-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Glad you found something that works for you. CBT is the most proven effective course of action (and perhaps that what you are doing there?) but it's always good to have other options.

tmays
07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Glad you found something that works for you. CBT is the most proven effective course of action (and perhaps that what you are doing there?) but it's always good to have other options.

Welcome back trackstar! Great to see you posting again and I totally agree about CBT and the TEA forms. Still helping me immensely to this day :)

Beachgirl
08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
It took me forever to find my way back here, but I did it. Just like use of the TEA forms and other CBT exercises... Persistence pays :)
I'm doing great and hope all of my old friends here are also?

Good to see you back trackstar. I totally agree and that's why I am still doing my TEA forms regularly. As someone pointed out to me, I could probably give them up as they are my new way of thinking now, but it's only a few minutes a day and that's worth never feeling those awful feelings again to me.

trackstar
08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks and great to have found my way back here. Hope everyone is doing well!

JayUhdinger
08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I think CBT is something everyone should learn. It's simply the right way to think about thinking and deal with your inner workings. :)

Beachgirl
08-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Doing great thanks for asking :)

tmays
09-25-2011, 11:57 AM
I think CBT is something everyone should learn. It's simply the right way to think about thinking and deal with your inner workings. :)

I could not agree more. I wished I learned how to counter my thoughts in the TEA forms when I was a kid so I never would have gotten stuck in all my old bad thinking habits that made me so miserable.

squirt
10-26-2011, 06:07 PM
I could not agree more. I wished I learned how to counter my thoughts in the TEA forms when I was a kid so I never would have gotten stuck in all my old bad thinking habits that made me so miserable.

Count me as one more who feels the same way :)

tmays
11-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks I appreciate it :)

Beachgirl
12-05-2011, 05:32 PM

You are preaching to the choir here :)

trackstar
01-09-2012, 03:59 PM

Well put and I could not agree more :)

nowglad
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
CBT is a great way to approach anxiety. As you change behavior and confront the anxiety, you will notice improvements in the way you feel in previously terrifying situations. There are a tremendous number of success stories for those who were treated with CBT. There at least hundreds of beneficial websites available offering more info on how CBT works.

tmays
01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
CBT is a great way to approach anxiety. As you change behavior and confront the anxiety, you will notice improvements in the way you feel in previously terrifying situations. There are a tremendous number of success stories for those who were treated with CBT. There at least hundreds of beneficial websites available offering more info on how CBT works.

Great post and I agree completely!

Beachgirl
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Well put and I could not agree more :)
Great to see you trackstar. Hope all is well and great to see now glad joining all of the other CBT advocates on here!
Hi Tmays too.

trackstar
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Good to see you too Beachgirl. The more the merrier right? :)
Keep up the good work!

Beachgirl
02-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Good to see you too Beachgirl. The more the merrier right? :)
Keep up the good work!

Thanks and yes the more the merrier :)

AshleighSuzanne
02-18-2012, 04:40 PM
audio books are quite good i have downloaded an anxity book on my phone i think you could probably download the torrant and put it on mp3 or such but its called dont panic and i tend to listen to this before going to sleep and feel it does help, also yoga is very good =]. and try breathing excersises to help relax and just take time out for yourself to do these excersises. xx

squirt
03-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Hi Nowglad,
You are really adding value to the site, thanks for posting such good stuff here :)

trackstar
03-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Nowglad,
You are really adding value to the site, thanks for posting such good stuff here :)

Roger that :)

tmays
04-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Roger that :)

No doubt, always good to have new insights from new people!

Beachgirl
05-15-2012, 04:49 PM
I think all of you embarrassed nowglad lol. Maybe that's why she/he has not posted lately.
Seriously I hope you post more now glad :)

trackstar
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I think all of you embarrassed nowglad lol. Maybe that's why she/he has not posted lately.
Seriously I hope you post more now glad :)

I certainly hope not as I love it when new people jump in here, especially when they have so much to offer others!!!

Beachgirl
06-24-2012, 12:04 AM
I certainly hope not as I love it when new people jump in here, especially when they have so much to offer others!!!

Me too trackstar :)

DrSusanHickman
06-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi Tokajosi. So very well said! I concur totally. It is difficult to outline any one treatment path because, as you noted so well, there are many possible paths and we each are so individual in our personality, experience, particular triggers and style of learning. While CBT treatment may work great for one person, mindfulness, yoga, diet and exercise changes may be the ticket for another. Group therapy can be very helpful, as this often involves a strong educational component as well as having the support of the other group members. But seeing a psychologist or therapist is certainly not the only path and self-help can be totally effective if a person is willing and able to be consistent in learning about their condition and making small, consistent changes over time to reduce the triggers and desensitize themselves to the situations they fear. Sounds like you've had a lot of experience with this!

tmays
07-12-2012, 03:10 PM

Me three ;)

Beachgirl
07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Welcome back Tmays :)
Now if Nowglad would just come back!

trackstar
07-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Me three ;)

Speaking of new people I just replied to a guy on another thread called drksydeone who sounds like he has heard Sam Obitz speak in person and he added a lot of encouraging insights and information :)

Beachgirl
08-25-2012, 06:54 AM
I think I just saw the thread you referred to and replied to him. Cool to have a guy with first hand experience working with Obitz sharing his experience on here now :)
Hope you are well!

tmays
10-11-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd love to meet the guy who has actually worked directly with Obitz, what thread was he posting on? Thanks!

Forestwind
10-13-2012, 04:06 AM
Stay strong !

Beachgirl
10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Welcome Forestwind. Let us know if you need any support?

Tmays I cannot remember what thread it was but I'll try and find it again for you.

trackstar
10-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Try this thread
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...2223#post62223

pandora92
11-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Try amazon just type in self help anxiety and loads will come up. The reviews are really helpful too!! I've also found done great apps on my iPhone for meditating and hypnotherapy and there are also some really good podcasts x

Beachgirl
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Try this thread
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...2223#post62223

Link does not work? But the thread is still there. I just posted on it but can't remember what it's title was or what section it was in?

trackstar
11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Link does not work? But the thread is still there. I just posted on it but can't remember what it's title was or what section it was in?

Not sure why it isn't working???
Here it is again (hope it works this time)
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?5247-CBT-Therapy-books/page5

Dogtime
12-12-2012, 06:34 AM
I have a very good mp3 recording. Unfortunately I can't post you a download link 'cos I've not made sufficient posts yet. If you send my a personal message I'll see if I can send you the link that way - It's a free download!

trackstar
01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

Beachgirl
02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
HNY to you too. Also the link you posted is working now, but darksydeone has not come back on it yet :(

trackstar
02-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks. I just posted on another thread that I imagine he is probably enjoying his reduced anxiety and never thinks to check in here, but he may return someday. He seemed like a good dude!

tmays
05-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Not sure why it isn't working???
Here it is again (hope it works this time)
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?5247-CBT-Therapy-books/page5

Thanks and it worked this time. I just sent him a note on that thread :)

phanhuong900387
05-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Lęn cho mọi người thấy...

trackstar
05-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks and it worked this time. I just sent him a note on that thread :)

Great I saw your similar post on another thread. Hope he responds soon:)

tmays
06-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Great I saw your similar post on another thread. Hope he responds soon:)

Me too :) Nothing so far....

Beachgirl
08-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey everybody!!!
Just wanted to say hi and see how everyone is doing? Sorry for my absence just super busy, but doing great :)

tmays
08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Forgot to mention on my reply to your other note here that I am still doing my TEA forms and feeling reaqlly good :)

Beachgirl
09-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Forgot to mention on my reply to your other note here that I am still doing my TEA forms and feeling reaqlly good :)

THat's great and me too!

trackstar
09-06-2013, 04:26 PM
THat's great and me too!

Count me in on that too! Don't know where my life would be now had I never learned the TEA form exercise.

tmays
10-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Count me in on that too! Don't know where my life would be now had I never learned the TEA form exercise.

Ditto Trackstar!

Beachgirl
11-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Good to see you posting again tmays. How are you doing?

trackstar
11-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Ditto Trackstar!

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Beachgirl
01-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!

Thx I did but barely remember it now... I think we had turkey for dinner lol!
HNY to you.

trackstar
05-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Turkey for Thanksgiving? lol
I really need to post more but hard to find time these days :(
Life is soo good now!

Beachgirl
06-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Turkey for Thanksgiving? lol
I really need to post more but hard to find time these days :(
Life is soo good now!

I know right? weird lol!
Hey if the choice is you feeling great and not posting vs. feeling horrible and posting all the time I'll take the former!!!
Keep up the good work :)

tmays
06-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I know right? weird lol!
Hey if the choice is you feeling great and not posting vs. feeling horrible and posting all the time I'll take the former!!!
Keep up the good work :)

Very true and good to hear!

Beachgirl
01-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

NixonRulz
01-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

Now that's what I call a bump of a thread! LOL

Happy New Year!

Beachgirl
01-31-2015, 03:47 PM
Now that's what I call a bump of a thread! LOL

Happy New Year!

Indeed, but I was hoping to at least get a few replies from old friends on here :(