PDA

View Full Version : how do i overcome driving anxiety?

transam1170
04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi, my anxiety in general has been gettin way better than it used to be , but still having problems driving, I have to have people drive me places all the time, and someone said this is the root of all my anxiety cause I avoid to drive, what should I do about fixing this? Cause I can't relax when I drive I always gotta think about how bad I gotta get from a to b , is there a way to overcome this? Cause I think the person is right I like cringe if I have to drive or think about driving when I used to drive all the time, so could this be the root of my anxiety? And how can I fix it? Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate it , thanks

gaara
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
How many times have you driven since you had this fear of driving? Is your car an automatic or manual?

If you've driven less than 10 times since you've had this fear then that is your problem. Basically to overcome this is very simple (in theory) and it's called exposure. Drive by yourself around the block at first. Gradually, go further and further until your mind is used to it. It'll be hard at first but if you keep at it you'll do fine.

transam1170
04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
i have 2 cars which are automatic, 1 truck automatic, and a 69 nova which is a 4 speed, which is getting currently worked on, i think that ur right that this is the main problem, do you think this causes all my anxiety? and stress me out? cause it seems like it, when i drive bymyself sorta get like depersonlization/ hazy vision when i drive and thats what makes me to panic, do you think if i settle this, i will be able to overcome it all? cause i sure am starting to think and so are the people that i know that the driving is the main problem, thanks