PDA

View Full Version : agrophobic mum what do we do?

sherrie
09-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Hi
Ive recently married my wonderful partner and have a great relationship with her family. The problem is her mother has been agrophobic for 14 years and has not stepped foot out of the house. i have read a lot of the stuff you guys have written and am fast learning like; it does not help to say 'it's just outside' or using bribery or threats. this is the first time anyone in the family has discussed the fact with her that she is agrophobic it's just seen as ' oh mum doesnt go out' and thats that. Mum is lovely and mid 40s and its painful to see her living no not living existing like this please can anyone suggest how we go about this. It's ok for people to say let her do her own shopping and stuff but it isnt that easy in reality. She is starting to refuse visitors if she hasnt met them. Her main focus is that she is very overweight -morbidly obese they call it and she needs help as her legs are ulcering she will allow the nurse in so what do i ask the nurse? who helps in these situations?

scatmantom
09-22-2006, 04:32 PM
hi

im sorry to hear about ur mother in law suffering in this way.

There is alot of help out there for this sort of problem. Psycologists can provide cognitive behaviourial therapy. People who have not been out for 14 years will probably not be easily helped. Speak to your GP about it and ask for advice. Therapy should be available on the NHS.