PDA

View Full Version : New To Anxiety Treatment

NewBeginnings1982
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
A couple weeks ago I went and had a physical because I've been feeling nervous and anxious alot. Never really had to deal with this stuff before. Full panel of blood work came back perfect. Listened to my heart and lungs...everything was fine. I'm 29....5'11" 255lbs. I have alittle above normal blood pressure, but nothing the doctor is worried about.

I do onsite tech work and spend alot of time in the car. I've noticed from time to time that I'll be working on something and I'll either realize how tough its getting or how long it will be before I finish. My heart will start to race to where I can feel it and then I will start to sweat. I'm assuming these are panic attacks.

My doctor put me on Lexapro. I took it for 4 days and it made me so tired and it seemed like I would get these weird head rushes while i was driving sometimes. like adrenaline or something. I talked to my doctor and he switched me to Celexa and put me on Xanax to either help me through the day or help me relax at night to sleep. I've been on Celexa for about three days straight. I notice my heart beating more when I'm sitting, lying on the couch, or lying in bed. Like I can feel my heart beat shake my head on the pillow. Nothing severe, but its just something new. Guess these would be heart palpitations. Hoping its because of the medication.

Right now I am taking my Celexa pill around dinner time. This morning I took a Xanax before I started my day and I seemed to feel better throughout the day. Right around dinner time I noticed the feelings subside and I was right back to being anxious/nervous.

The whole reason I'm trying to get a hold of this anxiety stuff is that for pretty much all my life I have been a worrier and a nervous person, but not to the point where I thought it was affecting my head. My wife and I are 7 weeks pregnant and I'm very excited about that. Hoping to get "me" under control before the baby comes.

I mean I feel healthy...tested healthy...but I think I've googled and webmd'd myself of the point of exhaustion.

Guess where I'm going on my rant is that so far on the Celexa I seem to sweat a bit more while trying to go to bed. Also feels like I have a stronger pulse than normal while I'm sitting or lying down. Also have my moments where I feel tired.

Just curious as to how long it will take for the Celexa 20mg dose to kick in to where I don't feel "anxious" as much. Not a big fan of the side effects. Guess I could just use some reassurance from people who might know what I'm going through.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

cbraxton
03-31-2011, 11:18 PM
I am new to this forum, so I am not exactly sure how everything works. I just wanted to say that the medicaion is not what you need. I have had problems with anxiety and depression since my childhood. I have tried paxil, xanax, and celexa. I only found that these drugs made me feel worse in so many different ways. The xanax made me feel so disoriented that I could not function. The paxil and celexa seemed to only worsen my situation (crazy thoughts). I finally decided to take myself off of these drugs and find a way to deal with my anxiety. And I must tell you I stopped taking that medication cold turkey and I had nightmares, sweats, and more insane thoughts for several days. If you can find any other way to manage your anxiety, leave the medications at the pharmacy (they are awful for your body) Do you think your anxiety may be increasing because of the pregnancy?

I remember one doctor told me that many times when you think you have gotten over the stress, you really haven't and your body will continue to react to it. During this time I was going through a lot and I thought I was over it; however, I really wasn't. I had just attempted to mask my problem and my body was still reacting. Anxiety can be very real and managing it can be a major challenge. I have talked way too much. I hope you find a better solution. Thanks for listening.