PDA

View Full Version : G'day

matty88
09-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey guys (and girls)

I've overcome anxiety/panic attacks back in year 6 (im 17 now) but at the end of 2005/start of this year for some unknown reason the bugger is back :roll: . I am now agrophobic :evil: and can't even go around to friends houses, yet alone to see my doctor!

I would turn to my family, but I'm sorry to say this, but I can't as they want me to get better ASAP (but hey so do I) and they try to force me to take bigger steps.

Before the start in PA's, I was on like 25milligrams of Luvox and 1 pill of Dexamphetamine per day. Since this year, the doctor's increased it to 250mg (the most I can have) and it had no effect! We haven't touched the Dex yet. Last month my new doctor put me on some new drug starting with S (i forget the name) and I'm off the Luvox, but I've noticed no difference.

Thanks for reading this

Matthew

Angel
09-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Whats up matthew?

yeah man, one thing you kan do right now, is talk to yuor family about your anxiety and the nature of agoraphobia.

Let them know that the fastest way to get better is to have them there with you. PAtience is one thing they need. Along with more understanding of the subjekt. And ways to challenge you...in small steps though. That way you get desensitized to what you fear the most right now.

But doing it all at once...i mean...that kan work with somethings...but chronic anxiety..i dont think so man.

But good luck to you, and i hope you find this board useful (you will, believe me).

AngeL

artbug
09-22-2006, 07:52 AM
I there. I just looked up the defintion of agoraphobia and hadn't realized that it starts with avoidance of situations where you feel trapped. My only panic attacks in the last few years have been when I was asked to read in a university English class (actually all students had to and I was next in line to read after the break-- so I actually QUIT that class!) and I can't stand to talk about myself in new groups. I usually give an extremely brief intro and look to the next person and pray the group leader doesn't press me further. I used to blush at total random---meeting new people, just talking to a cute guy at the store, or whatever but I'm over that (that was hell). I used alcohol a lot to come out of my shell but I quit because I was abusing it, so now all I do is stay home with my cat and do art-- which is cool but I know I'm isolating myself too much (2 years now). Well, that's me. Oh, and I'm an only child raised by a...conservative, "get a real job"obsessed mom, who doesn't call much, so be comforted that you have a family at all. Cheers.

matty88
11-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Just a quick update:

On 60mg of Cipramil, going great guns.

4 out of 11 CBT sessions, I'm getting out much more now without fear. Most of the family knows about my illness, but it turns out one of my uncles has it too! That made me feel alot better too, knowing someone else who has it to talk to about.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel! :mrgreen: :D :lol: