PDA

View Full Version : Fear of the city

danny
09-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi,

Does anyoneone else here fear the city (esp night time) like I do?

I had five very unfortunate experiences (mugged via a syringe held up to me etc) that eventually saw me unable to leave my room.

I got some help and am a lot better now but I stil find my legs go all shakey when I have to walk or go out at night in the city (or even suburbia) When I see gangs of kids hanging about I can feel a panic attack about to happen and have to get out of there. I can't go out at the weekend and enjoy myself with friends because I'm always thinking about - How am I going to get home? Will I get a taxi quickly? What if I encounter a junkie or a runk etc

I can't relax. I feel like a freak and was wondering if there were others out there who perhaps feel or felt something similar?

Thank you for your time

Danny

Bubbywu
09-22-2006, 09:27 PM
You are not alone. When I first was diagnosed with Agoraphobia, I couldn't even go to the corner store 6 blocks from home. And certain areas that I'd been so comfortable in in the city and out of were now danger zones to me. You're always looking for that out if you need it. I call it the what if syndrome. Always thinking of the worst case scenario. Sometimes it takes a while to expand your "safety zone" as in places you still feel OK driving or walking to. It's very normal with this condition to feel what you feel. Sometimes we take in too much input and have no where to put it and it can end up causung anxiety. Don't give up, it gets better!!
;)

Chele