PDA

View Full Version : High Klonopin dose

apointcollapsing
09-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I take 3 mgs of Klonopin daily, and have for over 6 months. I trust my psychiatrist, but is this really safe for me? Does anyone have a psychopharmecological background or understand how this drug really work and what I'm getting myself into?
I know I'm on a very high dosage, particularly for every day use, and I'm starting to worry about eventually stopping the use of the drug. Please respond if you know anything about Clonazepam (Klonopin) as regards long term use. Unfortunately, this is the only thing that has made me at all able to function normally in society . . .

shoe
09-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I think you're still within an okay range for that medication. Right now, I'm at 2.25 mg a day, and some really stressful days (1-2 days a week) 2.75 - 3 mg. I may be developing a tolerance for it so I'm not sure if my doctor will want me to switch to another benzodiazepine. Problem is, Xanax clouded my thinking too much, and Ativan had a negative effect on me. Valium *might* work but the doctor told me it may be too sedating.. argh this is all pretty annoying.

Anyway, I was recently co-prescribed Gabapentin (I think also known as Neurontin) to augment the effects of the klonopin, because I needed something to 'even out' the effects of the drug as it seems I had ups and downs during the day when the medication was not working properly for me. Currently its not helping but he may change dosing on it. He mentioned another possible 'augmenting' drug, but i forget what it was.

If you're okay holding at 3 mg a day, and dont have ups & downs, I wouldn't be too concerned. The only problem with medications in general is long term use can lead to long term withdrawal. I think its especially true with benzos. Do NOT stop this drug cold turkey EVER. It is super-dangerous. (and dont' get scared about missing a dose or two, that shouldn't be a problem generally - I'm talking full withdrawal of the drug). It seems from my reading that Valium is used to help taper you off other benzodiazepines (such as klonopin), and it is done over the course of a few months probably. The side effects of withdrawal are pretty unpleasant but if you're doc is smart about it, it shouldn't be too painful I think.

jaenickm
10-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I take 3 mgs of Klonopin daily, and have for over 6 months. I trust my psychiatrist, but is this really safe for me? Does anyone have a psychopharmecological background or understand how this drug really work and what I'm getting myself into?
I know I'm on a very high dosage, particularly for every day use, and I'm starting to worry about eventually stopping the use of the drug. Please respond if you know anything about Clonazepam (Klonopin) as regards long term use. Unfortunately, this is the only thing that has made me at all able to function normally in society . . .I have been on 60 mgs on PA xil for the past 10 years and have a big time job and I function great. BUt I have a wonderful daughter and lots of good friends and I travel alot. I have a phobia of flying but I still do it. I believe you have to have dreams and enjoy your life.