PDA

View Full Version : Does anything work

jim3535
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm 35 years old, married, twin 5 year old daughters and gainfully employed :) I have been dealing with anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've read many books, listened to CD's, went to therapy, etc...I have generalized anxiety and health anxiety. The health anxiety is the one that kicks my butt. Ever since I can remember I have had a fear of being nauseas and vomiting. I pay alot of attention to bodily symptoms and can't get rid of the negative thoughts and worries. It's to a point where it's affecting my personal and work life.

Does anyone have health anxiety? If so, what has worked for you?

Thanks!

Jim

hockeyplayer
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi , I have the same thing for 3 monthes, overly sensible to my body symptoms and anxious about it , especially scared of heart , I try to eat healthy and starting therapy , one step at a time.Excercise.

jim3535
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi Kev,

I get frustrated very easily. I've tried CBT, ACT, Sedona, Deep breathing and some other things. The problem is that i will try something for a week and if I don't feel better I move on to something else. I feel like I'm constantly searching for something that will work. Having just typed that I think I've asnwered my own question. Maybe this is a better question: How do I find the the best way for me to handle anxiety? I tried CBT (thought stopping, questioning my thought, coming up with more realistic thoughts) but sometimes I stress because I don't know if I'm doing it right. Sounds kinda weird! I've tried being more mindful and in the moment but those negative/fearful thoughts always creep back in. I hope this all makes sense.

jim3535
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Hockeyplayer,

I have started exercising again. I go to the gym with my wife and kids twice per week. I do full body strength workout and cardio. I feel really good while exercising and for a couple hours after. Then my anxious thoughts come back.

hockeyplayer
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Since I'm still in the healing process , people that managed to beat it could answer you better , still learning how to cope with it :)

don't give up Jim !!!

jim3535
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi Kev,

Thanks for the help. I find it difficult to think that I am ill at this time because I have been ill for the last 20 years. That's how long I have been dealing with anxiety.

My diet is not great. But I have been making small changes; eating less, cutting back on caffiene and eating more fruit.

The only supplements I take are a multi vitamin, fish oil and vitamin C. I'm not sure if there are vitamins or minerals that help anxiety specifically.

Robbed
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
The problem is that i will try something for a week and if I don't feel better I move on to something else.

And therein lies the problem. Nothing (and I mean NOTHING) is going to make it all go away in a week. Or, for that matter, nothing is likely to even make you feel much better in a week. When it comes to recovery from anxiety disorder, NOTHING happens fast. You need to think more on the order of months rather than weeks or days. And full 100% recovery can take months or even several years. This is why patience is SO important when it comes to recovery. Nothing happens fast. And, at times, it can seem that you are headed in the wrong direction. So, whatever you try, be patient and give it time.

jim3535
03-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks Robbed. I know I need to stop jumping around. Since CBT is the most researched I am going to dedicate myself to sticking with that program and focus on being patient. I appreciate the help!