PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and chest pain

justintonelli
09-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Hello, I'm 21 years old and have a history of anxiety disorder and panic attacks. My most recent attacks have been brought on by chest pain and the fear of my heart stopping or exploding. I've had three ECG's, holter monitor, and and echocardiogram performed and have had varying non-serious results (at the most serious sinus arrythmia, which is extremely common I guess) I have had three different physicians tell me that my heart is perfectly fine. I rarely smoke, drink moderately, and am very active. Even though I am pulling out of my latest anxiety rut I still have soreness in my chest, which is almost always located on the left side. I can reproduce this pain when I press down or massage that area. I sure it isn't a strained or pulled pectoral muscle, so would it be possible that I have pulled or strained some ligaments in my rib cage. I did work construction this summer and did a great deal of heavy lifting and whatnot. This has been happening for three weeks now which seems to be a long time for a muscle strain. Also, does anxiety cause chest soreness? Thanks in advance for your replies.

scatmantom
09-04-2006, 03:00 AM
hi, Ive had this problem since I was about 12. Its a anxiety symptom thats for sure and its very common. Its not a sign that u have a weak heart or that u have heart disease, and Im not sure how to treat it. The fact it gives you panic attacks must be difficult, but u must remember that your not going to have a heart attack, and convincing urself of this will definatly stop you having panic attacks of this type

good luck