PDA

View Full Version : Here's my story - can you help?

blackcat
02-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

This is new for me, but I thought I could get some insight as to how you all cope with your version of anxiety. :-/

Let me explain my issues - I would love to hear if anyone has similar problems, or has overcame them, or any help would be great....

For me, my anxiety manifests itself as a stomach ache, leading to a need to find a bathroom... fast. Generally this is brought on whenever I am in a situation where I cant easily find one. I have been dealing with this for about 10 years now, and while it doesn't completely cripple my life, it sure does affect it. I fear going out with friends in the city, going on car trips, even on my daily 30 min commute to work I struggle to not have to stop at a gas station with knots in my stomach.

Generally this is worse in the morning, and I try to *ahem* "relieve" myself before leaving, but this only helps a little bit. I'm getting more and more concerned as I am nearing a job prospect that would put me on a train for 40 min every morning packed with people.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

danstelter
02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I think I have experienced similar things, although not as intense. I have to go to the bathroom a lot, and I know that I did much more in the past, but now that I am less anxious, not quite so much. You might have IBS, which can be brought on by anxiety.

Regardless, it seems that you have identified the problem correctly and that it is really an anxiety problem, not a physical one. Maybe try some anti-anxiety meds? Othewise, always have a bathroom nearby until you can find a more permanent solution. It might take some years to get this under control if you use non-medication solutions.