PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shock/Body Zaps (Extremely Scary)...

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
For the past few days, if I wasn't directly paying attention to something or I was relaxed like for example. I was at the doctors office and when they called my name my body felt jumpy and like I got a zap. Or if I heard a loud noise the same thing would happen.

Today it just got a whole lot worse. I was on the computer and the phone rang and the electric shock literally lasted longer and went through my chest through my arms and hands. I even made some werid hand movments. It is so scary and so intense and its happening quite a lot now I don't know what to do. I'm freaking out. Is this anxiety or something worse.

This is my third day on Seroquel and today I took 2 at the same time since thats what my doctor told me to do.

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Its more intense and severe today more then ever. I'm afraid of loud noises now. If I hear the phone ring or someone say my name then I go into an extreme state of shock. My whole body goes through an electric body shock. My doctor told me to up my dosage of Seroquel to 100mg today. I don't know what to do. This feeling is extremely scary.

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
No, the doctor hasn't offered me benzos while taking this medication.

Like, I just tried closing my eyes and this electric zap feeling came over me a bit. I feel like I'm losing control :(

Robbed
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
This is my third day on Seroquel and today I took 2 at the same time since thats what my doctor told me to do.

What's with all the doctors prescribing antipsychotics for anxiety disorder these days? Have all other milder medications failed you? Or did your doctor just decide to give you this without trying anything milder first?

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
No, I haven't tried anything else. This is what he started me on. I am experiencing the body jolts way too much today. I'm really freaked out.

Robbed
02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I'll be honest with you. Get off this medication and see a different doctor, NOW. Antipsychotics such as Seroquel are heavy duty medications typically given to people with conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and psychosis. They have serious side effects, including movement disorders which can possibly become permanent, increased risk of diabetes, and MANY other things (somehow, I get the idea that your doctor mentioned NONE of this to you, as you probably wouldn't even take the stuff if you knew - this is typical). For this reason, they should ONLY be prescribed for anxiety disorder as a treatment of last resort. That is, they should only be prescribed if all other meds have failed you. Now I don't mean to scare you or make you feel bad here. But I (and everyone here) would HATE to see you get 'burned' by this stuff. Taking this medication has REAL risks. If you are suffering from anxiety disorder, there are better ways to deal with it. I personally believe that medication should NEVER be the first thing you resort to. But if you want to take medication, there are PLENTY of safer ways to go than an antipsychotic. I think that ANY competent doctor should go with a safer drug first, and resort to something like Seroquel IF AND ONLY IF safer drugs have failed you.

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Thank you for the warning. This is my third day on Seroquel and today I'm having body jolts/twitches galore. If I get off them, please tell me its not permanent as I can't live like this.

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 05:17 PM
The thing is, will this become permanant now. I am totally freaking out here.

Robbed
02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
The thing is, will this become permanant now. I am totally freaking out here.

No. Tardive dyskinesia (also known as extrapyramidial symptoms) tend to emerge after the drug has been taken for some time (ie months or years). Three days of taking Seroquel is NOT going to cause this to happen, so this is nothing to worry about. Also, I don't believe the movements manifest themselves as mere tics and twitches. From what I have heard, tardive dyskinesia tends to cause more serious movement problems, like flailing of the arms and odd facial movements.

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
My arms do make weird movements though. So, what should I do? Stop the Seroquel and then do what?

Robbed
02-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Even if this is some form of dyskinesia (HIGHLY doubtful, since it's only been three days), I am VERY confident that it will NOT be permanent. In many cases, tardive dyskinesia actually DOES go away completely. The tendency for tardive dyskinesia to become permanent increases with both dosage and duration of use. Given the fact that (once again) you have only been taking the drug for three days AND that your dosage sounds like it is pretty low (less than 100mg, since your doctor wanted you to increase it to this - some people take 500mg or more per day), I don't think this is something to worry about. You sound like you have more of just the typical twitches associated with anxiety disorder (and yes, this can cause your fingers to move somewhat if you are VERY nervous). Needless to say, I would DEFINITELY ditch the Seroquel.

As for what to do next, you have a few options. You could go see another doctor and get a prescription for a milder medication, such as a benzo and/or SSRI/SNRI. I am not much of a fan of these sorts of medications, either. But you are MUCH better off on one of these than on an antipsychotic. But the other guy is VERY correct in saying that, meds or no meds, you are going to need to deal with your anxiety if you want to recover completely. This might mean reading a good self-help book (like possibly one of the Claire Weekes books) or finding a good therapist. Or simply reducing the stresses in your life. Exercising and spending time outdoors can help, too. And dietary changes also help alot of people deal with anxiety. Of course, it's impossible for me to say what would work best for you. But for now, try to worry less about your symptoms. They are only caused by high stress, and are not harmful in and of themselves. Nor are they a sign that your condition is permanent. By reducing your stress, your symptoms will subside.

sadandconfused
02-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Now I've convinced myself that I have myoclonic and I'm freaking out.

My arms/hands and legs are all so jumpy/jittery but more so internal. Every time I hear a sound, or am surprised in terms of someone touching me or calling my name when not expected. I get a severe intense body jolt. I am scared shitless now :(

danstelter
02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I'll be honest with you. Get off this medication and see a different doctor, NOW. Antipsychotics such as Seroquel are heavy duty medications typically given to people with conditions like bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and psychosis. They have serious side effects, including movement disorders which can possibly become permanent, increased risk of diabetes, and MANY other things (somehow, I get the idea that your doctor mentioned NONE of this to you, as you probably wouldn't even take the stuff if you knew - this is typical). For this reason, they should ONLY be prescribed for anxiety disorder as a treatment of last resort. That is, they should only be prescribed if all other meds have failed you. Now I don't mean to scare you or make you feel bad here. But I (and everyone here) would HATE to see you get 'burned' by this stuff. Taking this medication has REAL risks. If you are suffering from anxiety disorder, there are better ways to deal with it. I personally believe that medication should NEVER be the first thing you resort to. But if you want to take medication, there are PLENTY of safer ways to go than an antipsychotic. I think that ANY competent doctor should go with a safer drug first, and resort to something like Seroquel IF AND ONLY IF safer drugs have failed you.

I gotta agree with Robbed here too. You shouldn't have such an adverse reaction to a medication - it's not normal or good. My neighbor actually was a part of a settlement against the company that makes Seroquel. Unfortunately, it is an intense anti-psychotic targeted towards the more intense psychological conditions in life. My wife slept about 18 hours per day when she was on it, and life was so much better without.

I don't know why doctors prescribe this medication for anxiety at all. We live in a drug-happy, quick-fix society, and unfortunately you are finding out the hard way drugs are not always the answer. If you want to switch, go on a med prescribed more typically for anxiety or depression - Zoloft, Xanax, Lexapro etc...