PDA

View Full Version : Advice, maybe?

Kiyra
02-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I've had panic attacks and general anxiety/worrying all the time since I was a child. I'm 20 now.
My mother is aware of the fact that I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. When I was 10 years old I made her take me to the hospital because I was convinced the panic attack I was having was some life-threatening illness. Obviously, it wasn't. She was fairly understanding, but has always had little patience for it all, so I avoid bringing up my anxiety.
I've also been depressed on and off since I was a child/pre-teen. It got to its worst point last December, when I decided I needed to see a shrink. I did so, disliked her intensely, and stopped going after 4 visits.
The depression thing has lessened significantly, while the anxiety has gotten worse.
My boyfriend has always had similar problems- he was borderline agoraphobic as a young child and has had anxiety problems since. He is very much a positive influence in my life and is one reason why I'm finally considering getting help with all this ridiculousness. He's been taking Xanax occasionally to help with panic attacks and suggests that I go to a doctor and see what they suggest I do/take to get some relief from this.
I'm just rather terrified. Doctors frighten me in general, but I'm also worried about telling my parents. It's a necessary thing to do, as I'm on their insurance so of course they'd find out anyway. And I'm just sick of having to hide it when I'm at home. (I live in the dorms at my college, currently.)

I suppose I'm just looking for some advice as to how I should go about finally trying to take care of this.

I'm sorry for the length. Thank you to anyone who actually read all of that.

laurajaneo
02-06-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear you feel so terified. I just joined here today. It must be hard to hide it from your parents. Anxiety in nothing to be ashamed of. I don't really have answers but just wanted to let you know that I understand how you maybe feeling. There are many meds that may help you with anxiety. Even if you don't wish to take them long term they may help you get into a 'headspace' where you can do some planning on how to deal with your anxiety. It's different for everyone but try not to be too scared of Doctors and if you don't like the one you see ask to see another one. Most Doctors are normal people just doing a job.