PDA

View Full Version : Constant anxiety (racing heartbeat)...

Ein
02-01-2011, 08:45 AM
For the past week or so I've had symptoms similar to anxiety, except it is constant and will not subside.

It all started when I had a little bit of a heart scare (I'm 18, by the way). First, I had a burning sensation in my chest, and then it got all tight. Then, my right arm and leg went tingly (but not completely numb). I was dizzy throughout all of this. Fortunately, however, most of these symptoms went away.

However, I have not been able to shake this anxious feeling. Basically, I have a constant racing heartbeat, even when I am at rest and calm, and I have a cold sweat, as well, which is similar to what I have when I'm nervous or anxious.

I don't think this is actually a physical condition, though. I only have these symptoms when I'm constantly thinking about it. The anxiousness goes away when I forget about it and my mind moves on to other things. However, I inevitably remember the anxiety, and the racing heartbeat returns.

Is there any way I can relieve and stop these symptoms without medication or a doctor's visit?

jimmy2shoes
02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
The reason you're heart is beginning to race again is because you have conditioned fear with a fast heart rate. Because we can simply THINK, and be instantly fearful, unfortunately the body reacts to this fear in the form of a fast heart bat. This, in turn, makes us feel like something is wrong.
Anxiety unfortunately is like Pavlova's dog experiement. Every time you give your dog food, ring a bell at the same time. The dog will salivate at the food upon recieving it. Repeat this 5 times, and then take away the food, and simply ring the bell. Without the food, the dog will salivate just by hearing the bell.
For some reason, it only takes ONE event to learn that 'bell' means 'food', and that's why you heart is racing, when you think about it. Your physical symptoms triggered the fast heart rate in fear that something was wrong, and you were thinking you were having a heart attack. Now without physical symptoms, the fear remains and hence so does the fast heart rate.
MY ADVICE - WELCOME THE HEART RATE RISE. TELL IT TO GO HIGHER, that your heart can handle 200 BPM because it can, and you WONT have a heart attack, that is ridiculous. You'll notice that while the first few times it can be quite scary, but once you say ok heart, beat as fast as you like, the beat will begin to slow down, and you'll smile. It's almost that simple. Fascinating almost (if it wasn't so overwhelming)
Hope this helps

Spanky
02-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Welcome Ein. I've been in the same boat as you for the past week. It seems my heart has been racing all week and you know why? I was focusing on it just like you. I'd have my girlfriend listen to it constantly. Even in the morning I'd wake up and compulsively check my pulse then have her listen to it. She'd say it was a little elevated for just laying there and waking up but I constantly had it on my mind. What also didn't help was that I was on Zoloft and it had me waking up in panic attacks in the early early morning. Since then I've switched to Antivan to help me sleep and cope a bit during the day. I'm not nearly focusing on my heart as much as I used to and I even checked my pulse today and it felt much more calm and slowed. Just as Jimmy said welcome it with open arms and smile at it. Best part is knowing your not alone.

Varjo
02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
That's exactly how my anxiety started too. With a racing heart beat etc. But it is all your stress that causing it. I know because once I stopped focusing on it, it eventually went away entirely.

For many months my heart beat was more rapid then it should be, they wanted to put me on heart medication after a couple of medical exams (Even though there was nothing wrong with my heart apart from it being rapid) but I kept refusing and telling them that the problem was in my head and my heart rate was simply a reaction. I was right because it did disappear eventually.

Suggestion is just don't mind it. It's difficult but really, it's harmless, and if it does really bother you then you can always take something to relax you I guess. You should go see some doctors just incase, but most likely you're fine just as I was.