PDA

View Full Version : Supplements that work?

elgrande
01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi peeps

Looking for some supplement recommendations please. Ideally the ones that have really worked well and helped a lot.

Thanks

elgrande
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I have psoriasis so take a few supps to help with this. I take b complex, magnesium, zinc, selenium, vitamin D3 and fish oil. Still have anxiety though!

Itz Omi
01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi, Elgrande. I have psoriasis, too - a mild case. Have had it for, hmm, maybe around 20 years? It's just on my elbows and a small spot on each hand. I also have granuloma annulare.

There's a supplement by Standard Process called Min-Tran (short for "Mineral Tranquilizer"). Though the problem is that it only contains calcium, magnesium and iodine, and it is a bit expensive considering it doesn't have more "bells & whistles." You are already taking magnesium anyway.

How are those supplements helping with your psoriasis?

LisaL80
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I have started taking Magnesium. Its called Slow-Mag and I have felt less tension already. Having a magnesium deficency can really affect your body, which I do.

Worth a try, may help you too.

xLx

elgrande
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Try some tyrosine , 3 times a day1/2 hour before meals . Eat protein with every meal . What sort of magnesium do you take . Powder is better than tablets because it gets pass the gut where you lose most of it .

So what else are you worried about . Supps support the body but i am guess there is still a fear in there having a effect .

It could just be the stress of being worried about being ill

http://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=253

elgrande
01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi, Elgrande. I have psoriasis, too - a mild case. Have had it for, hmm, maybe around 20 years? It's just on my elbows and a small spot on each hand. I also have granuloma annulare.

There's a supplement by Standard Process called Min-Tran (short for "Mineral Tranquilizer"). Though the problem is that it only contains calcium, magnesium and iodine, and it is a bit expensive considering it doesn't have more "bells & whistles." You are already taking magnesium anyway.

How are those supplements helping with your psoriasis?

Check this out as it really helped my psoriasis - http://www.barneysformula.net/

elgrande
01-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I have started taking Magnesium. Its called Slow-Mag and I have felt less tension already. Having a magnesium deficency can really affect your body, which I do.

Worth a try, may help you too.

xLx

Thanks. Is slow-mag the name of the brand? Are you in the UK or US?

LisaL80
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks. Is slow-mag the name of the brand? Are you in the UK or US?

Your welcome. Im in the US, and thats the name and brand. They are called 'Slow-Mag Magnesium Chloride.'
Are you in the US or UK?

elgrande
01-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Your welcome. Im in the US, and thats the name and brand. They are called 'Slow-Mag Magnesium Chloride.'
Are you in the US or UK?

UK so after having a quick search online they are not readily available however I did find a seller on UK ebay and amazon. I also found a UK supplier of Alta health magnesium chloride (same type as slow mag) which is 520mg a tab. Perhaps I could combine this with some good quality calcium (maybe chelated) as these seem to be the 2 ingredients of the slow mag.

LisaL80
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
UK so after having a quick search online they are not readily available however I did find a seller on UK ebay and amazon. I also found a UK supplier of Alta health magnesium chloride (same type as slow mag) which is 520mg a tab. Perhaps I could combine this with some good quality calcium (maybe chelated) as these seem to be the 2 ingredients of the slow mag.

I think that sounds like a good idea. I read to take a low does as it can cause some tummy upset so maybe if they have a smaller dose, try that first. Plus a overload of magnesium is a big no no. As you probably know the calcium helps you absorb it and the enteric coating stops the tummy upset. The Slow Mag is only 143mg of mag and 238mg of calcium, though it does recommend two tablets a day. I think just to be safe take a smaller does and see how you go. :oD

xLx

elgrande
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
A few other supps I've read a little bit about are -

Phosphatidyl Serine

Inositol

Niacinamide

Has anyone tried any of them?

Itz Omi
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Check this out as it really helped my psoriasis - http://www.barneysformula.net/

Thanks so much for the link!

Something topical that works very well is MagiCream. Problem is that it only comes in very small plastic jars and it's best to use within 2 weeks of opening.

cuyo
03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
There are a number of good supplement options for anxiety. Magnesium is good, I would recommend Jigsaw's sustained release magnesium-definitely the smoothest Mg product out there. Also, theanine (from green tea) is excellent for calming without making you drowsy-200mg at a time is good, I would recommend the Jarrow brand, which is inexpensive and effective. Rhodiola is a herb that is excellent for anxiety, mood and energy enhancement. The quality of Rhodiola varies a lot by brand, I like the New Chapter 300mg dose. You can order theanine and rhodiola form iherb.com- using the code TUD658 upon checkout gets you a $5 discount. Best of luck!

innerlight
03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm currently using 5HTP. It's an expensive little bugger, but it's the best thing for me without going the anti-depressant route. Have a look into it, yet treat it like a medication - don't go overboard. Too much serotonin can be damaging :).

I'm also a big fan of meditation, it kills the racing thoughts and very healthy on a neuro-cognitive level.

And lastly, Kava Kava is pretty cheap and can really put you at ease if you're interested in the ethnobotanical approach