PDA

View Full Version : can being lazy and sitting around alot and being bored feel like depressed symptoms?

transam1170
01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
hi i was wondering if sitting around alot and not doing much and being bored cause depressed symptoms? thanks

dancecircadance
01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Getting active is a great way to relieve depression! Sitting around won't do you any good. Do some exercise, at least walking around the house to get yourself up! :) It helps me a lot when I'm depressed. Go outside and admire the scenery. Eat healthier and take vitamins you will feel better! :)

Literophile
02-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Yes! When I was living on campus, I was always active. I was doing so well with things, I didn't take any medication. When I moved home and started taking courses online, I was always lounging around (well, am always lounging around) and now I'm having to see a shrink again. My conclusion is that the more I'm active, the less I have to deal with depression. Not only that, people without depression can get it from sitting around all day. You can even develop agoraphobia. So yes.

Robbed
02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Getting out DEFINITELY helps with problems like depression and anxiety. I know that, if I have to stay at home all day, I DON'T feel good. And when I am feeling bad, doing somthing like going for a hike helps quite a bit. There just seems to be something good about getting outdoors in a natural setting. I even notice that other people I might run into on a trail somewhere just seem to be BETTER than people you run into in the city. So give it a try. Even just looking forward to doing something like this might make you feel better.

As to whether sitting around and doing nothing can CAUSE depression/anxiety, I think it can. I know that, even before having anxiety disorder, it didn't feel too good to never get out. If I didn't get out for days on end, I am sure it would not have a good effect. Hell, even cats that are cooped up inside just don't seem as relaxed and 'happy go lucky' as cats that go outdoors. It would seem that being constantly cooped up is bad for any living creature.

lira
03-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Great tips..I am also on strict diet to lose weight and feel so weak no energy. But I drink Cayenne pepper powder brewed in hot water and it helps me tremendously.

charles
03-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Its always good to "do" something when you are in that space. "Doing" changes the way you feel and think.

meganjo
03-29-2011, 03:37 AM
don't make yourself idle... loneliness will attract many negativeness in your life... it is not that you have to be in group or should be chatting with your friends at all times.... when you need a piece of mind read books, listen to music, practice some hobbies and find piece of mind from that.

drug rehab (http://www.soberrecovery.com)

nutty3005
03-31-2011, 06:45 AM
I found even just a quick walk round the block helped relieve some of the feelings of anxiety. When I was lounging around I found I couldn't think about anything other than my symtoms.

Awkward
04-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Working out releases endorphins in your brain, which can help lift your mood. I'd reccommend keeping a schedule of when to work out during the week so you can feel better about yourself.

meg1
04-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Same here - I just had a meltdown earlier today and I went for a quick walk around the block just to get moving and remind myself I'm being silly. By the time I got back to my apartment, I felt like I had calmed down significantly and that I could start focusing on ways to NOT feel anxious/depressed...instead of just feeling those emotions and reacting negatively (crying, getting down on myself, etc).