PDA

View Full Version : Derealization

Charmbracelet81
12-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I am having a bad case of this today. I can see how irrational it is and that it is just a feeling of anxiety and I won't die from it or go crazy from it, yet it has control of me. To me, this is one of the worst of all the symptoms of anxiety. I feel like any given second I will just "lose it." Thoughts of my heart and lung function are there still, but I am more concerned of my mental state going away when I am going through this, and when I am not, I have 100% focus on my organs. :roll: I am questioning what the day is, questioning if I really did what I did yesterday, questioning what others think of me as I go through this. Questioning why me, and will I ever get better. Feels a bit like depression today. :|
Anyone with de-real, can you please describe how you feel, and how long the attack/feelings last. So far for me it has been since I woke up. I am just so scared. Every step of the way I get better in therapy, I feel there is a major set back. :cry:

forwells
12-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Howdy Charm

I just wish to point something out to you .

I am having a bad case of this today. I can see how irrational it is and that it is just a feeling of anxiety and I won't die from it or go crazy from it, yet it has control of me. To me, this is one of the worst of all the symptoms of anxiety. I feel like any given second I will just "lose it." Thoughts of my heart and lung function are there still, but I am more concerned of my mental state going away when I am going through this, and when I am not, I have 100% focus on my organs. :roll: I am questioning what the day is, questioning if I really did what I did yesterday, questioning what others think of me as I go through this. Questioning why me, and will I ever get better. Feels a bit like depression today. :|
Anyone with de-real, can you please describe how you feel, and how long the attack/feelings last. So far for me it has been since I woke up. I am just so scared. Every step of the way I get better in therapy, I feel there is a major set back.

forwells
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
bugger pressed wrong bottom , then forum went down

Ok shall start again .

It will last for as long as you give it the power to . The thinking in your post is what is causing it , It is because you are scared and on high alert . While you continue to think this way it will stay around . It is that simple. If it wasnt for that thinking then it would just be someone having a bad day . You are adding the fear to it .

I think you are part way there but when you say this I can see how irrational it is you are then saying this I am more concerned of my mental state going away Not only is this keeping you in a a state of confusion but also negative thoughts are way more powerful than positive thoughts .

You have to learn to accept it and that it will be there for a while until your system settles . See i know i have spoke with you about this before but as much as i believe that CBT can work it can also not work depending on what your way of thinking is and what is taught . I am not sure but going from your post i think your best bet would be to learn to understand anxiety 100% , Your symptoms are being bought on by fear , fear of the anxiety itself . If you understand anxiety then you cannot be scared of it and by not feeding it it settles over time .

Ok to finish off , You will not go mad and you know that but what you don't seem to understand is that when the fear starts the brain changes and turn into a more primal mode and this is what the DP is along with the body putting all of the seances on high alert . When you change the things such as concerned of my mental state going away I am just so scared then your brain will see there is no danger and return to a normal working stage .

So again stop telling yourself all the negative things but that does not mean you have to tell yourself that you are fine and dandy which many CBT people teach . You have to tell yourself the logically turth and that is that your body is basically in a state of shock all the time and that if i learn to live with this for a little while without reactin to it with fear then it will past .
I am rereading a book at the moment
Living with it by Bev Aisbett I suggest you get this and read it . It is short and in cartoon form as the brain is believed to read much more from sight than words . It will explain to you what your IT is and how to put him back in his box .

cheers kev :D

mamascrazy1985
12-05-2010, 04:27 PM
yes im having this too. it feels like im floating sometimes. or my head feels fuzzy and it stays as long as im focused on it. like if i play the game or watch a movie it goes away because im focused on that game or movie and then when i remember it comes back, the funny thing is i havent had bad anxiety since this time last year. wonder if its in the weather lol :biggrin:

Charmbracelet81
12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I will for sure get that book! Thanks, again Forwells. What's frustrating is kowing NONE of my catastophic thoughst have come true, but having that fear/thought that we are simply just waiting for the one that WILL come true, that's how my anxiety stays around, I beleive. I'm like, no, none of my thoughts have come true, but I better stay on guard in case one of them does, I am ready. I hate it, it's like I cam chasing my own tail. My therapist has been out of town for 3 weeks and I go back in today for the 1st time since she left and I can't wait to talk her ear off! I'm not sure why everything seemed to go backward these past 3 weeks. I had more panic attacks, I had more DR, I had higher generalized anxiety, my thoughts of my heart and lung function are there 100% of the time, I am aware of every off heart beat and of every yawn/cough ect, mkaing sure they are right. I check my pulse a lot again, I cry a lot more, again, I am finding myself drinking more, again. I feel as though I have a bit of despression from all of this. It's a cycle, I see that, but I feel so out of control of it. This better be part of that burst of extinction she speaks of LOL.
Forwells, is it you that meditates? Or is is Phoenix? Someone here meditates and I would like to ask if there is a good video you/someone recommends on youtube or such. I am willing to try it. I have the hardest time during the day trying to work and lookas though I have everything under control even though I am experiencing racing thoughts of death and heart and lung and disease, ect and pulse checking and breath checking that when I get home I run to that relief of alcohol, I need something else I can try right when I get home when I want that release, because I know #1 that alcohol is not helping me one bit the next morning. :idea:
MamaCrazy,
The sun tends to make me feel more DR than when the clouds are gray or it's snowing/raining ect. I'm not sure why. As does the lights we have at work that are flouresent. Intensifies my DR for sure. :trolly: