PDA

View Full Version : New and unusual panic symtpoms

deutsche elektronik
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I'm a 26 year old woman from the united states and have had problems anxiety and panic disorder ever since I can remember. I diagnosed myself long before my psychiatrists confirmed my illness, it was so obvious to me, but also stressful, especially after years of trying to figure out why I was experiencing nausea, palpitations, weird sensations and stress from unusual situations. It was never so severe that I was unable to function, but it was debilitating in many situations. This past year has been something unusual for me in respects to my panic disorder. My symptoms have gotten worse, and even outright strange. Usually with attacks I feel nauseated, but never actually vomit. I feel like I need to move my bowels immediately, but never do. I get sweaty, palpitations, rapid heartbeat and strange chest sensations, but never last for very long or caused me great concern.

These symptoms would never last for more than two hours after the initial attack. However, this has changed over the past year. Earlier this year I tried to donate plasma at a donation clinic, before they even hooked me up to the machine, I was hit with a sudden severe urge to vomit and move my bowels, so much so I ran to the restroom. I was of course not really sick with any kind of stomach illness, but it was a severe, and for me, an unusual panic attack. When I got to the restroom the symptoms immediately ended. i gave up on the process of donating plasma and left, with people at the clinic worried about what was wrong with me. Since then I have been anxiety symptoms I never had before, and those I usually do get have gotten much more severe. In the past 6 months I get attacks where my heart literally feels as if it is going to pop out of my chest, or that someone is squeezing the middle of my chest, for long periods of time. I even get sensations of tingling, like a hot/cold sensation waving through my chest and sometimes up to my shoulders and neck. It happens to me every morning now. I even get a stiff neck.

One morning, not to long ago, I walked up a flight of stairs on my way to work. I found myself breathing very slowly and gasping for air as I reached the top, my body instantly felt heavy, my heart felt slowed, my vision became blurry and I almost collapsed. I struggled desperately to get air to my brain to avoid fainting onto the concrete. After that my vision was distorted, everything was grayish and I felt unreal, as if I where a ghost in a parallel universe. I rested for a while and the feelings went away after 15 minutes. Since then I have been having strange chest sensations like this and feeling faint. I have also been feeling nauseated and occasionally vomiting in the morning before work. I even have rapid gastric emptying during these attacks. My doctor did a EKG and didn't detect any heart arrhythmia. She thinks I'm too young to be having heart problems, and have no history of it in my family, but I have a huge family history of sever anxiety and panic disorder on both of my parents sides.

These symptoms even make me skeptical that it's panic at all. My psychologist put me on 1 mg of XANAX and I'm starting Desipramine, but they have not stopped these symptoms, just mitigated them. I recently moved to Chicago, which I am still adjusting to and was already afraid of being an ongoing trigger for my panic disorder, and I have an excessively stressful job at the moment. I take these as the possible culprit of these attacks. But the chest symptoms are so distressful that I question anxiety as the only cause. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience as well, or if my symptoms are common. I had always thought for a long time that I was quite aware of my anxiety symptoms, now I'm not sure.

paul.d.7
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
That un-real feeling you talk about is called Derealization, it is VERY common in anxiety and panic disorders, it's all apart of the anxiety response. Every symptom you spoke about when walking up the stairs are also those of anxiety and of which are very common indeed.
Chest pains, tight chest, feelings of hot/cold sensations etc are again very common with anxiety and I would not worry about them as any other illness or 'unusual' symptoms. New symptoms can come and go depending on the length that you allow them to continue to grow. The weirdest of things can happen when suffering with anxiety which tend to confuse all of us on a day to day basis.

It seems that you are having a stressful time with the job you are in and also with a change of area, so this is most likely the reason you are suffering a little more as of late. My advice is to simply put all the sensations you experience down to anxiety and just let it flow, get on with your day no matter how much the symptoms bug you or tries to get your attention and any concerns then I'm sure you can find an answer here on this forum.

Hope I was of some help, take care!

forwells
11-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Howdy

First off welcome aboard :D

These symptoms even make me skeptical that it's panic at all.

Just to put your mind at rest all these symptoms are from stress and nothing more . Panic is just the highest level of stress and anxiety is long term stress .

I know because i had every symptom you spoke about ( except the heart one) and can tell you that they will all go when you removed that stress .

So my question is what other than drugs are you doing to fix that stress ??

cheers kev :D

deutsche elektronik
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Howdy

[b] So my question is what other than drugs are you doing to fix that stress ??

Well, it's hard to say how much I will be able to change for the immediate time being. It's probably a good idea for me to find a less stressful job where I feel more comfortable and treated better. I would definitely benefit from a healthier diet and more exercise, but there's so many things I've tried but it can help only so much. I recently started drinking coffee as a result of working at Starbucks, which usually ends up making me feel worse. So I think it'd be a good idea to quit for a while. But then I drink it because of the stress of the job. Also, I'm seeing a psychiatrist to seek more than just medical therapy. I have also been trying breathing and relaxation techniques. They help as little, but not a lot. Do you have any other advice?

forwells
11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Howdy

There are alot of what i should be doing there but not a lot of what you need to do . You are doing a few good things

Dont take me wrong i am not having a go at you but when it comes to anxiety there is one person that can fix it and that is you . There are plenty of people that think they know the answers and plenty that will want to toss drugs at it . But when it comes down to it it is only the changes that you put in place that will work .

Some tips . Learn everything you can about anxiety . If you learn about it it becomes annoying at times but you wont be scared of it .

Meditation . I believe that this and above where the two things that saved me . Learn it and keep doing it and yes it takes a while to work but it also took a while to get to the state you are now .

Diet . If it isn't natural don't eat it . Lots of protein which is good brain food . No coffee. You can have decaf , or replacements such as teas . No sugar .

Supps . Take some supps to support your body while it is under stress , I am convinced that many of the symptoms are from lack of certain thing in your body because it uses more when stressed . Bs Magnesiem , omegas , and there are other but you cant take with drugs

The biggest tip i would have and one that is not talked about much and what many people don't understand is there is no quick fix . I crashed 2 years ago and today i still have symptoms from the stress but i have no anxious thoughts behind it because i accept that as long as i keep doing the right thing it will go and it is but it is slowly . So you must accept that it will be around for a little while , that it will not harm you , it is nothing nasty and that once you are back to being more normal all of it will just go away . And a add on to this is dont buy into the rubbish that this is something you are stuck with and have to learn to live with . There are 1000s of people that have got past anxiety and you can also go onto that list you just have to work on it .

cheers kev :D