PDA

View Full Version : This is what I've gathered so far

gaara
11-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm not calm (obviously). My mind is clouded and it feels like there's a storm in my body. My mind KNOWS that my fears are irrational but it seems like that doesn't do anything. I've tried several things by telling myself and screaming at myself in the mirror to let go of these irrational fears, they're ruining my life but it still doesn't work.

After the storm, there's a calm except it's not a good sort of calm, it's a feeling of emptiness, sadness and depression. Then the cycle starts over.

I'm up to the point where I just want to end this retarded feeling. I'm going to schedule an appointment with my doctor and see if he can refer me to a therapist or something?

Problem here is that I just cannot afford one, so what can I do? Anyone have experience with therapists in Canada?

Do therapists even help? I'm sort of skeptical because I'm not sure what a therapist will even do that my mind hasn't told me yet. I know that my fears are irrational and I have "accepted" them but the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic are still there.

Meds are not an option for me. I refuse to go on meds because they will cause more harm then good. I'm just running out of options and feel hopeless.

How was therapy helped you guys? Any helpful tips?

Itzomi
11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Gaara,

I don't find that therapy helps me. I'm just not into that namby-pamby "inner child" stuff. I pretty much need to be told straight-up that I'm not thinking rationally.

One of my chiropractors (I have 2 - both have different approaches so it depends what I need) teases me a bit and that really helps. Like, when I developed a bunion and was afraid I'd eventually not be able to walk, he said, "All that from a big toe? Would you like me to pull out the wheelchair?" He has also told me recently (when worried my facial pain may be a degenerative disease, and he said that wasn't the case), "It's always good to know you're not terminal..."

Therapy works for some people, though, but they make out like bandits - $100 an hour or so, and you have to keep going?? I hate rehashing stuff. All I need is one appointment. I tell you what's wrong, you tell me where I'm messed up and how I need to fix it. That's what I want. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen, and if it did, they'd lose money - they need it to drag on!

Anyway, I wish I had a good answer for you. I'm trying to rid myself of the same thing.

cherryblossomer
11-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Well first of all, not all therapy is the type of therapy where you “reflect on your inner child” and things like that. I have been to therapy and am currently in therapy and find it to be very very helpful. Yes its true that most of the time one session wont just clear everything up, but think about this logically. Your anxiety and irrational fears have built up, how can you talk to someone for an hour and expect them to go away that fast? You do have to keep up with it and it can be really rewarding. The price also depends on where you go and how your insurance works. With my insurance I was paying $60 for a session, and I can pick how often I go. But now ive met my deductible and my insurance covers my therapy fully, which allows me to go weekly. Also, its true that some therapists aren’t really legit, ive gone to one myself, but the one I found that I go to now is very helpful and my sister sees her as well.

Itzomi
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Well first of all, not all therapy is the type of therapy where you “reflect on your inner child” and things like that. I have been to therapy and am currently in therapy and find it to be very very helpful. Yes its true that most of the time one session wont just clear everything up, but think about this logically. Your anxiety and irrational fears have built up, how can you talk to someone for an hour and expect them to go away that fast?

I was talking about what would work for me, personally. It seems to take just one little soundbite that hits me just right, and my anxiety goes away for a while. I just need sense knocked into me from someone I trust, and I'm good. If continuous visits help somebody, and you have insurance that can pay for some of it, great. I don't have the income to keep shelling out $100 (and that is probably already a "cheap" price here) to "wait and see." I pray for a Drive-Thru Shrink where I can just slip someone a $20 and the shrink at the window says, "Brain tumor? You're kidding me, right?! That's a tension headache, dimwit. NEXT!!"

jj1983
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I have looked into webcam theraist online but they are high too...Yuk

gaara
11-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Does anyone know if therapy is covered by our healthcare in Canada?

Itzomi
11-03-2010, 03:12 PM
My boyfriend is Canadian and laments about the health care system there.... I tend to think it's not covered, but I could be wrong.