PDA

View Full Version : Should I see a doctor?

Marie18
10-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I have not seen a doctor about this, but I really think it is anxiety. I worry all the time. I especially worry about dying or my parents/husband dying. I think about it a lot and I hate it. I always think I have some kind of disease or am dying. Every time I think something is wrong I look it up on the internet for what it could be. I had a a skin infection about a month ago and freaked out. I felt like I couldn't breathe and was going to pass out. It was really scary. I feel really weird a lot of the time. I don't know how to explain it. A lot of the time I feel like I can't breathe. I am tired all the time. My heart beats really hard and fast. I worry all the time and it is awful. I am soo afraid to speak in front of a group of people. I remember during school I would be so scared to go because I would hate to get called on and when I went to present something I wouldn't remember being up there after. It has gotten a lot worse the past year and I am only 18. I hate feeling this way and don't know if I should see a Doctor or not. I don't know if it would help at all or if I would be prescribed to meds! Any opinions?

Itzomi
10-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I'd hate to see someone so young go on anxiety meds. I mean, some people swear by them, but they can often make the problem worse in the long run, or create a whole new problem.

I don't know if a doctor is really going to take you seriously enough. He'll shove meds at you, of course, but probably won't do anything to HELP you. The hard part is getting to the source of the anxiety and, for many of us, we don't know what that is. :/

Marie18
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
You don't think a seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist would help at all? Do you have any tips then on keeping myself calm?

forwells
10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Howdy

I think Itzomi is saying that to see a psychologist would be the best thing. they will be able to teach you how to change your thinking . Instead of just going to a doctor that hasnt a clue and will only place you on drugs .

If you get a good psychologist they will be able to point out your bad thinking and help you change it . You should see great improvements from it .

Only tip i have is learn to deep breath and also learn and do meditation twice a day
cheers kev :D

Itzomi
10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
You don't think a seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist would help at all? Do you have any tips then on keeping myself calm?

When you said "doctor" I was thinking about a medical doctor. They are the ones that will just shove meds at you without getting to the root of the problem.

I psychologist can help SOME people - didn't help me - but it's a good place to start!! Not everyone's anxiety is mental, though, if that makes sense. Sometimes, anxiety is caused by hormones, diet, issues such as Candida (yeast overgrowth), etc. If you have absolutely no clue why you might be anxious (for example, I know how I got to that point - my parents passing away, etc.) then I'd maybe see an alternative doctor who can determine what might be out of whack.

jgiannettict
10-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I think it might be a good idea to see a doctor....but he will prescribe you meds.....some of the meds are very additive so beware....

Robbed
10-24-2010, 04:10 PM
some of the meds are very additive so beware....

Actually, ALL anxiety meds have the potential for addiction. Remember that SSRI/SNRI antidepressants are called 'nonaddictive' and 'non habit forming' simply because they are not desired by people wanting to get 'high'. But they can be EXTREMELY addictive in the sense that they can be VERY difficult to discontinue and cause potentially extreme withdrawal symptoms, sometimes even when slowly tapered. Generally, about a third of people who use SSRIs/SNRIs will have serious problems getting off them (and this number could be even higher). I say all this because most people (myself included) consider 'addictive' to mean 'hard to discontinue' and NOT the definition that pharmaceutical companies use so as not to scare people from taking SSRIs/SNRIs.

Mannylirio
10-25-2010, 05:46 AM
I prefer you to must see a doctor. I am sure he will do the best for you and prescribed the medicine according to your body. So don't waste your time and go for the doctor.