PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to feel depressed when starting college?

ladyintheradiator
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm an 18-year-old freshman at a local community college, I just started in late August and I still live at home. I've been trying to keep my head up and do well in my classes, but everything seems to be going wrong lately. I have a lot of anxiety, and it's not unusual for me take hours to fall asleep. I feel like a failure because I can't find a job to pay for gas, dinner, etc. and I'm doing very poorly in my math class (never was my best subject.) I went to a tutor, but he seemed like he thought I was really stupid and was annoyed with me, so I left.

I feel like I'm a failure, and I'll never be successful in life. It seems like everyone else my age is getting jobs and living at universities and I'm just stuck here. I feel like I'm unhireable and worthless. I can't do anything right. I'm worried that I'm going to fail at everything. But anyways, I'm getting off topic.

Is it common for people to feel like this when beginning college? It seems like everyone else is happy and moving on except for me.

Nicole002
10-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Yes it is absolutely normal for you to feel this way. I've felt it my first year and my co-worker's son is experiencing horrible anxiety. His anxiety is so bad his Mom flew down to see him twice in a month.

And, I can relate to the math thing...I suck at math too. Not all teachers are the same and it might take a few before you find someone who can teach at the level you need. Everybody teaches and learns differently...not to worry - you'll find the right one. I couldn't learn from a teacher in high school...but when I was in college - I whizzed through stats, etc.

Instead of looking at the negatives, try and focus on the positives: your going to university!! that in itself is awesome. The economy is bad right now and it is harder to find those jobs - so cut yourself some slack and don't be so hard on yourself. We are our own worst critic ( I sure am).

I know you've probably heard it- but hang in there and focus on the positives. You've made it to University - so you're obviously bright. :)