PDA

View Full Version : Making progress

Zuena
10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are well.

The first day I posted on this forum (earlier this week) I really had a horrendous day. I totally broke down, I spent the day crying because I was just sooooo damn scared.

I am in no position right now to give anyone advice, but I would like to share what I have done and what has worked for me.

Thinking about things realistically, I really have no reason to be anxious. I have a well paying job that I love. I have my own home, small but MINE, and although I get a little lonely, I don't have any more or any less stress to deal with than your average man on the street. In fact, I am in the lucky position where I have no debts, and I am responsible for no one but myself. I am healthy, intelligent person.

After having such a horrible day earlier this week, I went from the doctor to the bus stop, clutching desperately to the prescription for anti depressants and urbanol. The bus never arrived, so I went home and decided that I would go the next day.

The next morning I felt considerably better (yesterday) and I actually had a good day. A tiny bit of anxiety now and then but otherwise just a normal, good day. Last night I came home and smiled thinking that I actually got through the day without obsessively being scared of everything around me. I decided not to get the medication, and instead did the following.

Firstly, I got into the shower with my favourite girly smelling shower gel, and I started talking to myself. I washed my shoulders, and as I did, I said to myself "I am washing off the troubles and sorrows of the past from my shoulders, all the worries, the fears. I am done carrying them, they have no place in my life anymore. Then moved to my arms. As I washed them, I shrugged off the idea of my arms signifying me holding myself together all the time. I embraced myself, and promised that I would be gentle on myself from now on. Then my heart. I recently got divorced and I buried all the heartache so deep inside of me. I washed it all away and I told myself that it is OK TO FEEL. It is ok to miss my partner, to think about good times and to really cry because my heart is so sore.

So I carried on until I got to my feet. I had something to wash away on each part of my body.

When I was done in the shower, I sat down on my bed with my body lotion. I repeated the whole process but this time I "applied" new things to each bit of me. A shield of protection, of confidence. My mouth - only positive things will come out of it. My temples - no more negative thoughs, and so on.

Lastly, I walked through my house. I have only been living here for just on two weeks and I felt I had to say something to the house. :-)

I claimed every single corner of the house for myself. I promised myself that this would be my safe haven and that I would not bring any negative thoughts inside it. I proclaimed my home to be a place of peace, rest and quiet. I also claimed a good night's sleep every night that I am here.

This morning I woke up and felt calm. I went through the day aware that I COULD maybe panic at some point, but not being scared of it anymore. I knew that I could handle any bit of anxiety that came my way. During the day I felt a little anxious from time to time but I smiled and breathed it away and reminded myself of my new positive outlook. Every single negative thought (such as picturing myself fainting in the street and people just walking past) I cut right off and replaced with a image of myself smiling confidently.

I KNOW that I haven't been magically cured, but I also know that even though it will take a while, this is going to work for me. I REFUSE to let anxiety rule my life any longer. I read that anxiety is a learnt behaviour, and I am determined to change the negative into the positive. I never had a problem with this until I was 38 years old, and I am not planning on spending the rest of my life with it.

My methods might sound weird and unrealistic, but I believe that we have to do what works for us. I also believe that the first and most important change is your mindset, taking back control.

I look forward to a good and peaceful future.

Zuena

Itzomi
10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so right on. Anxiety can definitely be a learned behavior, at least for a lot of people. We just need to retrain our brains.

I loved the idea of washing all the negative off and rubbing lotion on and rubbing on positivity. Not sure the guys are going to appreciate it as much, but I am going to try this myself.

I'm happy this is working for you and I hope it continues to do so!

Zuena
10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Itzomi, and thank you.

I am happy to report that I had a third good day in a row. I still feel like I am on "high alert" at times but I just breathe it away. Since I have heard so much about anxiety basically being an unnecessary fight or flight response, I have adopted the attitude of.. "where's the fire? Nothing here, so keep your pants on girl!" I actually got stuck in a lift today, something that would have had me on the floor in seconds a week ago. I had the usual adrenaline rush and my heart started racing but I didn't freak out. It was just a normal good old fashioned "oh hell, I am stuck in the lift" kind of fright.

I am trying my best not to count the hours or days that pass without me freaking out as I don't want to go into a mindset of anticipating a panic or anxiety attack.

I have started getting up 15 minutes earlier in the mornings, and when I am ready to leave for work, I take 10 minutes to calm myself and affirm all the positive things in my life, how I want the day to proceed and so on.

Once again, I do not believe I have been magically cured and I know I have a road ahead of me still. But I am happy that I have arrived at the point where I can confidently say NO MORE!! I am done.

The shower thing, by the way? I think it is a good idea to do it every day for a while. Just keep talking, reaffirming, expressing your positive thoughts. And I am sure the guys could find something else to "apply" the new with. Maybe as you get dressed, let each piece of clothing respresent a positive action towards improving your mindset and leaving anxiety behind.

Take care!

Zuena

Itzomi
10-14-2010, 12:20 PM
More wonderful suggestions. I am so glad you are on the road to recovery and I hope it rubs off on me and everyone else who reads this!! :)

forwells
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Howdy

Great thread :D

I am happy to report that I had a third good day in a row. I still feel like I am on "high alert" at times but I just breathe it away. Since I have heard so much about anxiety basically being an unnecessary fight or flight response, I have adopted the attitude of.. "where's the fire? Nothing here, so keep your pants on girl!" I actually got stuck in a lift today, something that would have had me on the floor in seconds a week ago. I had the usual adrenaline rush and my heart started racing but I didn't freak out. It was just a normal good old fashioned "oh hell, I am stuck in the lift" kind of fright.

We can see how nothing has really changed . You are still on high alert but just by changing your thinking behind it from one of fear to acceptance you can live though it .

As Dr Claire Weekes said you want to recovery from anxiety then you have to learn to live with it with peace until your body settles itself .

cheers and well done again kev :D

Zuena
10-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Itzomi,

I am glad you could find something positive out of my experience. I have become so aware that in order to change bad habits (which my anxiety is to me), we need to change our mindset. Just as our brains uneccesarily starts sending out fight or flight triggers, we can get it to stop again.

Kev,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think anybody in the world can really, truly completely get rid of anxiety as it is a natural response. Is it not true that once you have gone down the road of anxiety a ways, you are actually no longer anxious about what is wrong in your life / a specific event, but you fear the attacks themselves? I am retraining my brain - I believe we should not anticipate having a panic attack and live in fear of when the next one is going to hit, but rather anticipate NOT having one. Stop fearing the FEAR that a panic attack brings on.

I read something interesting the other day, about how to take that nervous energy and adrenaline rush you have during a panic attack and turn it to something positive. Clean the house. Walk to the shop. Dig a hole in the garden. Pretend you just had 4 cups of seriously strong coffee and therefore you are bouncing off the walls.

For a long time, I was nervous taking the bus home, especially when the bus was full. I used to act like a crazy person - talk to myself and twitch and stuff ON PURPOSE so that people would leave me alone and not sit next to me. They would give me one look and move along. Hey, it worked. It gave me the safe space I needed to cope, and keep it together. After a while, I could giggle about it and stopped doing it. You need to do what works for YOU.

Somehow, something has to work.

Zuena