PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm losing weight because of anxiety- HELP

maryrose999
10-11-2010, 02:27 PM
So I am a 22 year old female and I've had anxiety on and off since I was 13. Its started to come back over the past couple months and I just weighed myself today and I'm down to 95 pounds. I'm only 5 feet tall, and I've always been really petite, I'm usually around 99 or 101 though, so it sort of freaked me out. Do you think that I should be concerned? I'm trying my best to eat healthy and eat enough, but it's hard when you just don't feel hungry. I don't have an eating disorder or anything, because I'm deathly afraid of losing weight and having to be hospitalized because I'm too thin. (really unrealistic fear, I know) Anyway, thanks for reading. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions for me? I think I'm making it way worse by looking at the scale, cause that makes me more nervous, and therefore makes me not hungry. Such a vicious cycle.

ThePhoenix
10-11-2010, 05:41 PM
So I am a 22 year old female and I've had anxiety on and off since I was 13. Its started to come back over the past couple months and I just weighed myself today and I'm down to 95 pounds. I'm only 5 feet tall, and I've always been really petite, I'm usually around 99 or 101 though, so it sort of freaked me out. Do you think that I should be concerned? I'm trying my best to eat healthy and eat enough, but it's hard when you just don't feel hungry. I don't have an eating disorder or anything, because I'm deathly afraid of losing weight and having to be hospitalized because I'm too thin. (really unrealistic fear, I know) Anyway, thanks for reading. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions for me? I think I'm making it way worse by looking at the scale, cause that makes me more nervous, and therefore makes me not hungry. Such a vicious cycle.

Your right, its a vicious cycle! You have nothing to be gained by looking at the scales non stop and some people dont realise its completely normal for peoples weight to fluctuate within a 1 kg a day (2.2pounds I think). I lose weight and muscle quickly when I am anxious as well, when you are feeling stressed and afraid eating isnt a priority! Just stay away from the scales for a while, relax and eat as you feel hungry. The rest will take care of itself.

tconnorbok
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't worry about your weight it can cause you more anxiety. I have dealt with the same thing. I was trying to lose a few pound when i found out i had anxiety and before i knew this i dropped 10 pounds really fast which scared me. I thought something was wrong. This caused my anxiety to go through the roof and it made me lose another 10 pounds. After I started to deal with the weight issue and not think about it my weight started to climb and fast. I know now my weight with anxiety can be anywhere from 10 pounds up or below my currect wieght.