PDA

View Full Version : I think I have pretty severe anxiety...

xzoto
10-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I did some research and while I never like self-diagnosing, I feel that I may have a strong case of generalized and/or social anxiety disorder.

For as long as I can remember I would avoid every day tasks because they would put me in uncomfortable positions. I would avoid going to stores because I would think there wouldn't be a spot to park or going to full-serve gas stations because I didn't know how to pump my own gas. I also made up an excuse on two occasions and got my cousin to go through a quick oil change shop because I felt like I didn't know how to do it. When I say that, many variables pop into my head. Do I park my car outside and they open the bay door when they're ready? What if I don't know how to properly drive overtop the pit they are working on? Do they accept debit or only cash? Do I sit in my vehicle and wait until they complete it?

You see, these are questions I ask myself repeatedly on a daily basis. I plan on moving to Vancouver in March, which is a ways off, but I am already bombarding myself with questions. Will I find a good job there? How do I use public transportation? What if I get on the wrong train? How will I know to get back? What if I miss the train, when is the next one?

I don't believe this is normal and I am booking an appointment to look into it. But besides these questions, I have one MAJOR concern. I felt like I needed to give some basic information on my circumstance before I ask this question: can these attributes reflect upon my severe anxiety to driving in unfamiliar places? Like I said, I plan on moving to Vancouver in March, but I get sick to my stomach just thinking about driving there. I was there for a visit a few months ago and I forced myself to drive, but I had to stop and get my cousin to take over. This is what went through my head while driving:

Can I turn here? Is this only a one way street? Am I even driving on this road properly? What is this lane for? Is this a turning lane? Can I park here? What do these signs mean? Is this an uncontrolled intersection?

I was not confident in my driving at all. I felt absolutely lost. This always happens when I go to new places. It's not reasonable to ask me to learn every street and corner like the back of my hand, but there must be some way around this. I really think the reason I lack confidence in my driving could be attributed to my other anxiety issues. Could this be true?

xzoto
10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have any input on this? It would be greatly appreciated.

forwells
10-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Howdy

Short answer YES

But in saying that you may call it generalized and/or social anxiety disorder but i think that if you can get some CBT and work on the reasons you chose to think in that way then work on changing that thinking then you should come good .

Everyone questions things in there life at one time or another and i think your best bet is the CBT and learning to change that questioning when it starts .

Its up to you weather you want to change it or let it effect you but if you make that choose then you can and will do it .

cheers kev

:D