PDA

View Full Version : meditation cure?

andypaul99
10-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Hi, im 36 and been suffering from anxiety dissorder for the past 6 months, im seeing a consultant psychologist and undertaking a recovery programme.
One of the things i have to do is a session of deep relaxation per week so a couple of days ago i attended my first Yoga class which i found really good and de-stressing.
However when i got home i had a bad panic attack and the next day was really bad a jittery...
How could this happen? has anybody else had this problem, as i really enjoyed the Yoga i assumed i would have a good day after not a bad one? Id really appriciate any advice on this? could it be that my body just isnt used to it and it reacted adversley? :?

Itzomi
10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Something similar has happened to me! I didn't have a panic attack but after an appointment that I felt was successful, the next day (and for days afterwards) I felt worse... Strange indeed!

mento
10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi,

This is my personal experience which was also confirmed by my doctor.
But please take this as a general advice only. Check with your doctor before trying anything.

In most cases yoga, breathing exercises, and other physical exercises
reduce anxiety. But in some cases if the muscles (I think the muscles related to respiratory system, around the chest area etc) are too stiff from anxiety, any form of exercise actually worsens the condition.

When I was doing yoga or deep breathing, it would immediately give relief from anxiety but after a while I used to suffer a lot.

I found that calming meditation was a better tool in such cases to get relief. Even that should not be over done. Ten to twenty min should be good enough in the beginning.

You can also search in google for "exercise induced anxiety" and can find that for many people exercise actually increases anxiety.

Hope this helps.

sparks
10-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I would also encourage you to begin to think of anxiety as a process that is very specific and that certain thoughts a person indulges in can increase it...and thus learning how to change these thought patterns can help loads.

andypaul99
10-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi,

You can also search in google for "exercise induced anxiety" and can find that for many people exercise actually increases anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Hey Mento, yes i do suffer from excercise induced anxitey which is a real problem for somebody like me as up to recently i was training for up to 17 hours per week as an endurance athlete......

The yoga was really part of the CBT programme and i actually saw it as the 'deep relaxation' part of the therapy rather than excersise, as previously stated i did really enjoy it and felt pretty chilled out afterwards but then suffered for the next two days with increased anxiety and panic attacks. My Therapist was as confused as i was as to why this happened, he said it may be that my body is not used to the deep relaxation and thats why it happened.

Ive also been thinking that i probably need a punchbag or similar as the other day i was getting so fed up i literally screamed at myself (in my car) and guess what it hasnt come back since, so getting the fustration out seems to work equally as well.... i just wont try it in Yoga class....that wouldnt work now would it!!

: :D

living in hope....

olia10
01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Yoga is a spiritual work out and it will often up bring up deep rooted anxiety. So in the short run, symptons might get even worse. But if you stick with it, you will get better.

ron4haze
01-31-2011, 04:28 AM
me too i find a good cbt session results in a couple of days of feeling down