PDA

View Full Version : i hear noises or voices just as im about to fall asleep

boxer
10-02-2010, 03:10 AM
This is really starting to scare me ive done this 3 or 4 times but just as I'm about to fall asleep I hear a noise or a voice and it throws me into panic my mind starts racing thinking that it was from schizophrenia and I can't go back to sleep through a fear of it happening again has anyone else experienced this or I'm I going insane.

boxer
10-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Also I have never done this while completely awake please please help

forwells
10-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Boxer

You are NOT getting schizophrenia at all

Your hearing is just super sensitize and as you said then you go into a panic

If it happens again just say its only anxiety and it will pass

cheers kev

:)

Robbed
10-02-2010, 04:04 AM
This is really starting to scare me ive done this 3 or 4 times but just as I'm about to fall asleep I hear a noise or a voice and it throws me into panic my mind starts racing thinking that it was from schizophrenia and I can't go back to sleep through a fear of it happening again has anyone else experienced this or I'm I going insane.

There's nothing too unusual about this, even if you do not have anxiety disorder.

dubbemiah
10-02-2010, 07:26 AM

As much as I hate sounding cliche, stress can also cause symptoms like this. I've had some weird stuff happen when I have heavy stress.. like symptoms weirder than yours, but they all go away when my stress levels reduce.

When I go to sleep, my body does weird things, and also my heart. It often scares the hell outta me. Also, I'm not sure what stage of sleep you are referring to, but your mind does weird stuff in that process.. or at least mine does.

The only way I'd be concerned about this, is if it started happening more frequently and when you are wide awake. Regardless, I would do my best not to read into it.

hesson81
10-02-2010, 10:10 PM
I actually think your almost asleep. yea I have done the same things before, and it gave me the same fears you have. I actually have had visual halcinations ater waking from Sleep. Then it clears up when you actually wake up, even though my eyes were open, I still saw what I was dreaming about. Also the Auidio sensitivity, I have had that to. When it happens next time, just try and go back to sleep, and label it. over a few times of doing that, it'll go away.

Itzomi
10-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Sounds like hypnagogic hallucinations - hearing (or seeing) things between the waking and sleeping state. It happens!!

Terror-x
10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
yes i agree to be honest nothing unuseuall maybe next door have tv on laod or a radio it can be aload of things but dont panic yourself dude

RequiemOfDemise
10-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Hello Boxer. Not to contradict everyone here, but it may not be anxiety related. In my assumption, as I've had this too...
Its not schizophrenia :P
Sometimes radio/tv waves travel through the air and our ears and we hear them since our brains run on frequency also. I had this happen alot, especially as a kid.
Or maybe you're gifted with E.S.P. but thats a whole different subject.

Itzomi
10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I found an explanation of Hypnagogic Hallucinations on the web:

When you are in a hypnagogic state you are awake and aware of your surroundings. However, your brain is still producing brain waves that are associated with REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement). The result is that you are mixing what is real and what is happening in your dreams. The hallucinations are probably caused because you are entering REM sleep too fast. Normally you enter different sleep stages before you go in to REM sleep but with hypnagogia you are entering REM to fast or you wake up from it to fast.

http://www.smellybrain.com/hypnagogic-hallucinations/

About 40% of us have had a hypnagogic hallucination, so you are not experiencing anything unusual. :)

hesson81
10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Hello Boxer. Not to contradict everyone here, but it may not be anxiety related. In my assumption, as I've had this too...
Its not schizophrenia :P
Sometimes radio/tv waves travel through the air and our ears and we hear them since our brains run on frequency also. I had this happen alot, especially as a kid.
Or maybe you're gifted with E.S.P. but thats a whole different subject.

Wouldn't it be nice To hear E.S.P.N. in your sleep, but yea a whole different thing!!! :lol:

Itzomi
10-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Boxer, where did you go?