PDA

View Full Version : Basic things you do to get out of an episode

Nervous Nelly
09-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Hello, As I'm rather new here, I thought it might be nice if everybody listed some things or tricks that they have had some measure of success with in fighting a panic attack. As I'm a hypochondriac and I suspect a lot of us are, I think it would be very helpful. Personally, two things have helped, but maybe like 50% of the time. Sometimes I'm just too far gone and get so caught up in the attack that I completely forget.

1. Actually slapping myself hard on the cheek. If you do it hard enough, it can divert one's attention enough to hopefully stop a panic attack. Pain can be a good motivator.

2. Just get plain mad about whats happening. Make the panic attack and the feelings you are getting into an entity that you can get mad at. I think many of us are probably on the shy side in the first place so during an attack, we become even more scared and end up feeling powerless and incapacitated. Getting mad can be a game changer.

Sometimes I have to do both, sometimes neither work or perhaps work for a little bit or like I mentioned I just get caught up in the attack and can't think to do it.