PDA

View Full Version : Is technology making social anxiety worse?

AnthonyStAugustine
09-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I love video games, I love my computer, and I love my flat screen, but I find myself wondering sometimes if technology is making social anxiety worse. Has the convenience that technology has given to us also hindered us from overcoming social anxiety as a whole? Has technology made overcoming social anxiety even more difficult by placing a virtual barrier between human interaction and physical contact?

We can research and make friends with people online, but there is a lack of human interaction. The advantage of being online is that you can find a community to help you with whatever problem you have, but the disadvantage is the lack of action. We start using the internet as our outlet to being social.

There is a huge lack of “real” interaction. We can sit at home and keep ourselves entertained with the hundreds of channels we have. We can live our vicariously through the character we play on video games, hell we can even pay our bills online so we don’t have to interact with another human being.

I love the benefits that are given to us because of technology, don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great that I can do everything I listed above. I love the fact that I can save time and money by sitting at home. I think technology can help and hurt you at the same time.

The way that I figure it, technology is like a fine wine. Doctors say, for the time being anyway, that a glass of wine a day is good for you. On the other hand, If you drink too much, it can kill brain cells and also can cause liver problems. Technology, like wine, can affect your relationships if you take in too much of it and let it control your life.

I think it’s outstanding that I have friends from all over the world that I’ve never met and probably never will, but I think it can also stunt your growth when it comes to getting past the reality of shyness and social anxiety. I realize that that technology is a tool we can use to reach out to others but we need to use it wisely and apply what we learn with it, to the outside world. We have to make sure we don’t use technology as a crutch to avoid physical social interaction.

Robbed
09-26-2010, 05:27 PM
While having online friends allows you to meet people all over the world, it has its disadvantages. First of all, a big part of friendship is, well, doing things with friends. You can, for instance, talk to people at work, school, etc. But in my mind, what REALLY separates a mere acquaintence from a friend is doing things together outside of the realm of work, school, etc. Although you probably correspond with online friends on your own time (ie not at work or school, for instance), your relationship with them is still quite limited. Much like a person who you just talk to at work or school, the things they do and other people they know are no more than things they tell you about. You will NEVER be able to experience these things with this person.

Another thing about online friends is that they tend to be MUCH more disposable than actual live people whom you come face to face with (and they look at you in the exact same way). Think about it. How often have you remained in contact with someone online for more than just a few months? Having an online friendship for even a few years is virtually unheard of. Part of this is certainly due to the first thing I mentioned - without the ability to meet face to face and actually DO things to build the friendship, the relationship can seem quite pointless after a while. And when the friendship DOES break up, it can leave the person who has been 'walked away from' feeling quite snubbed. This can be a terribly bad thing for someone already dealing with social problems.

So should we NOT have online friends? I don't think that online friends are necessarily a bad thing. However, online friendships DEFINITELY have their limitations. Just keep this in mind about online friendships, and realize that they are certainly no substitute for actual face-to-face friendships.

lunalady
09-27-2010, 06:09 AM
We have to make sure we don’t use technology as a crutch to avoid physical social interaction.

I agree. And as lots of people find themselves working online too-myself included- I have to get out and mingle during the day so my SA doesn't flare up.

Good post and good points.

Fear
10-27-2010, 05:56 AM
yeah I always thought that technology just keeps you far from human interaction more and more,so that's not good