PDA

View Full Version : The best technique that helped me with anxiety.

Neeley
09-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Ok, this is the technique or way that helped me most with anxiety. I've tried medication, breathing techniques, blah blah blah, but the thing that I've learned that help me and I use it in boxing is when ever I feel anxiety coming on or intense surge I just talk. I'll say anything from a word to a sentence to a grunt what ever naturally just comes out. Implicating this technique has allowed me to talk with out thinking and really stop worrying as much as like what i'm going to say next. Whenever I get anxious I don't stop talking lol, I just talk. Sometimes It may not come out right or coherent but that doesn't matter. I learned it from a friends dad who is a black belt in Martial arts to alleviate emotional feelings. You hear alot of boxers and athletes breathe really hard when they punch out? its similar to that. So try it next time, and even when I'm by my self and I start feeling anxious, I just start talking. Theres a difference between talking to your self and answering yourself and then just talking which is what I considerate it. give it a whirl!

jj1983
09-24-2010, 04:47 PM
I will try this is see..at this point i will try anything

Neeley
09-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Let me know how it works!

jj1983
09-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Made me actually feel worse lol but may work for some ppl

anxioused
09-27-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure if this is similar, but I find singing can be an excellent short-term remedy for an anxiety attack.

Call me Gareth Gates (!) but when I pick up a guitar (I am rubbish!) and sing, I completely forget whatever anxiety symptoms I was experiencing. This work for anyone else?[/url]

Itzomi
09-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the tip! That makes sense.

If all else fails, just WHINE! Ha.

kathique
09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Think there is some merit in the music thing Ed. Google music therapy. When I'm anxious I find singing and dancing around the house helps me switch gears - it's like my brain gets stuck on repeat with anxious thoughts and it kind of helps me change modes.

In terms of talking, for me it doesn't work per se, however having said that if I stop talking altogether I just further withdraw into myself thinking anxious thoughts. I think it's important if you're talking to try and rationalize your thoughts to someone. As I've learned of late, you can distract yourself as much as you want and avoid panic attacks, but not avoid anxiety because you haven't dealt with what's causing your anxiety. Hope that makes sense.

Neeley
09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes to all the above, i always talk as it helps uh everything as far as breathing and feeling less anxious its the best thing i've ever used. I can talk without thinking and i dont have to worry about anything really.