PDA

View Full Version : can you overcome agoraphobia

pauline
06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
hi im new here has anyone got any tips on how to begin to overcome panic attacks and agoraphobia i have suffered the last 2 years and im totally fed up with feeling anxious all the time just want to lead a normal life now but to scared to go out and just get panic attacks and feel anxiety all the time

Irish
06-25-2006, 06:55 PM
The good news is it can be cured :mrgreen: Just take it 1 step at a time and be patient

kim
06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey Pauline,

The answer to your question is you can learn to reprogram your brain and manage your anxiety attacks.

I myself have had agoraphobia for 16-17 years, yes I did overcome it, lead a relatively "normal" life eg. worked, shopped, got married, had kids, flew on planes etc (although my life was not as it was before eg going into the city). Unfortunately I have relapsed (to the state of being housebound - but am getting out a bit now and continuously working on it). I was unaware this could happen; but please don't let this upset you. Anxiety and panic attacks run in my family on my mothers side so it's a chemical imbalance - Seratonin.

Helpful tips that I can offer are:
See your G.P. - you may need medication (it takes time but I feel it helps), or a sedative to help get you out there, or a referral to see a physciatrist (who can give you support and strategies to cope).
Don't drink caffeine or alchohol
Practice abdominal breathing (this is a good one and I've written out how to do this below)
Start doing stretching/relaxation exercises - get a video of dvd on yoga, pilates, meditation and do it at home.
Sleep at night.
A support person is very important (someone who is willing to learn what agoraphobia is and who will be there for you to get out)
Try to get out every day - start out small - go outside, then go up the street, then around the corner, then around the block - in others words expand your ability a little each day but don't push yourself too hard too fast - baby steps.
Get your support person to drive you to places (to your Doctor), then when confident you drive them, try driving around the block by yourself, then further your distances.
If you get dizziness try sucking on barley sugar or a boiled lollie (it takes your mind off it and gives you a sugar boost)
If you feel stressed or anxious around certain people - leave, you don't need it.
Start an Outing Diary - if you start trying to get out everyday and write down what you did, where you went and how far you got - you will over time see that your improving.
Talk to us, we are all going or been through the same thing.
Tense each muscle in your body for a short period in time and then release it.
Learn to relax - you cannot be stressed and relaxed at the same time - yeah I know easier said then done - but again it is something you need to do daily.

Breathing Exercise: Lie on the floor with a hand on your stomach and a hand on your chest, take a breath and let your stomach swell forwards as you breath in and fall back gently as you breath out. Try to get a steady rhythm going, take the same depth of breath each time. Your hand on your chest should have little or no movement. Try to take the same depth of breath each time you breath in. When you feel comfortable doing this, try to slow your breathing rate down by putting a short pause after you have breathed out and before you breathe in again. At first it may feel as though you are not getting enough air in but with regular practice this slower rate will soon start to feel comfortable. Focus on your breathing without any other thoughts coming into your mind. Practice this technique for 10 minutes twice a day in a quite place, and any other time you are aware of your breathing. You will begin to strengthen the diaphragmatic muscle - this in turn will leave you with a nice relaxed feeling.

I hope this is of some help to you, it's helping me get my life back.
Good luck.

Kim (Australia)

em82
07-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Hello!
I have just read your post Kim, it is really reassuring and helpful, thanks. i am just overcoming agoraphobia and panic attacks and posts like yours give me and I'm sure others, reassurance.

em82 :P