PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Gaming

siamii
09-18-2010, 09:42 AM
This is pretty weird. Ever since I was a little kid i played video games. In fact i liked games so much that they gave me a kind of euphoric feeling. E.g. starcraft , wow, age of empires. I even wanted to go pro as basically I got so much more enjoyment out of playing than out of anything else in life.

Now the weird thing is that I stopped gaming coz my life was going nowhere. However, after that I basically started getting freak-outs each time I saw any kind of video game screenshot or advert. I've developed an irrational fear of video games.

Now, every time i look at an image of video game or even 3d computer graphics, i freak out lol. It's fuckin terrible. I've blocked all images on my comp and am surfing the net like that. I dont even watch cgi movies anymore. It's really getting on my nerves, but I cant control the freak outs.

Do you have any suggestion what I could do to change this?
I've tried getting accustomed to games again, but what happened was that I got addicted for 2 years before I quit playing cold turkey the second time...

ThePhoenix
09-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Interesting one, I am not a psychologist by any means but it sounds like you associate the negative times from before with the images which were prevalent at that time of your life.

As for how you get around it....hmmmm, exposure to it maybe? I honestly dont know exactly, you might have to speak to a counsellor.

Good luck!