PDA

View Full Version : depression/anxiety getting worse in fall/winter

nervousbutterflies
09-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Does anybodys elses depression or anxiety get worse in the winter? Mine gets terrible becuae I hate how it gets dark so early and I hate feeling so stuck indoors!? Does anyone else feel this way?

blue
09-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Actually I feel more depressed in the summer with the oppressive heat. I live in the central valley in California where it occasionally hits 100 degrees. The heat can make me agitated, therefore more depressed. The winters here are a refreshing and soothing alternative, and not too rainy or gloomy, so I feel more comfortable and a little less depressed. Although this summer has been relatively mild, it has been an unusually tough time for me. [/code]

jj1983
09-18-2010, 10:26 AM
I too do better in the winter and when its dark out. I love winter!
I think I do better at dark due to seratonin levels

Vanessa
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I feel that I do better in the winter time as well. I get very anxious when I am out and about, and because it is so cold and bad outside, I get to stay home where I am comfortable and my anxiety is under control. This probably is not healthy for me, but it keeps my anxiety levels in check!

Nicole002
10-27-2010, 03:46 AM
It's called Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder (SAD)...and I get it.

It's mostly due to the lack of Vitamin D in our bodies.
I would strongly suggest you increase your Vitamin D (plus calcium and magnesium) to 2000 IU per day for the winter time.

I suffered from a horrible vitamin d deficiency (because I live up north - it's very common) - so had to make sure I was out in the sun in the summer (with no sunscreen because it will block those important uv rays) and take vitamin D supplements.

Vitamin D is actually a prohormone - meaning it turns into a hormone in your body and is responsible for so many things, including depression.

Hope this helps you :)
Nicole

kmd485
12-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi there,

I get the same thing..everything gets worse especially January/Feb/March where not much is going on, no holidays to focus on really etc... Vitamin D it supposed to help, just started taking it. They also say there are lights you can buy for your house or to try a tanning bed for a few minutes every so often.

meganjo
02-15-2011, 03:03 AM
The key to depression recovery is to draw upon whatever energy and resources you do have. Start with small goals. You may not have much energy, but you probably have enough to take a short walk around the block or pick up the phone to call a loved one. Take your recovery day by day, be patient, and reward yourself for each accomplishment. Baby steps are fine. Put enough of them together and you’ll find yourself well on the way to getting out from under depression’s shadow.