PDA

View Full Version : That surreal feeling?

Varjo
09-16-2010, 08:43 AM
So who of us are going through the surreal feeling with the anxiety? That sort of dream like state, that constantly reminds you to be scared because things seem so surreal?

Well I've been wondering, what exactly is it that causes us to feel that way? I know I've had this feeling before I ever had anxiety, usually after waking up from a nightmare I'd feel for an hour or two that everything was surreal until my mind would just snap back into reality. I'm guessing it's the state of fear that seperates us from the world to make us pay more attention to every detail. Does anyone know exactly how our mind does this?

I've been slowly recovering from anxiety, as in each day I notice it less and seem to be able to do everyday things. I no longer have a rapid heart beat, my pressure headahces are almost gone, I don't feel like I'm going insane anymore, I can remember things well and think quite clearly but I still feel surreal and hard to concentrate on anything because I'm "too aware" in that scared way. And espically if I wake up from a nightmare then my mind is back on stress mode and things look more surreal again. I've only had anxiety for less then two months now and it was triggered originally by a panic attack that was triggered by caffiene poisioning.

Next week I'll start talking to a therapist about ways to get over it. I'm aiming to be back to as normal as possible by november :) (November has always been a lucky/good month for me)

So please share your input if you like.

Robbed
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
This 'surreal feeling' is referred to as derealization or depersonalization. And it is VERY common with anxiety disorder. As to why it exists, nobody really knows for sure. Theories abound, though. Derealization might, as you say, force you to think out the details of a situation. Others have said that it is part of a 'protection system' that helps to reduce extreme anxiety (and it might therefore be similar to a drug side effect). However, none of these is proven, or is likely to be any time soon.

On the other hand, although it may seem like it, it is not necessary to know at this time exactly WHY you are feeling derealization. Nor would it help to make it go away. Unfortunately, though, derealization seems to be one of the more long-lasting anxiety disorder symptoms (as well as one of the more disturbing). Patience is key when it comes to ridding yourself of this symptom. Realize that, along with all your other anxiety symptoms, it WILL eventually go away. The less you worry about it, and the more you do things to try to keep your mind off it, the faster it will go away. From my experience, time spent outdoors in a natural setting (especially if brightly lit) seems to be particularly helpful.

One more thing. As far as being rid of this by November, it is best NOT to try to put a timetable on it. As I said before, patience is key to recovery here. You just can't rush it. Now you MIGHT be over this by November. But you might not. So I wouldn't count on it. Allow this derealization to go away on its own time. Because, in the end, this is the fastest way to be rid of it.

mhdwjw
09-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey, I get this surreal feeling too. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes not. I have actually had this for a long long time. But I may not get it for months at a time. Its is horrible and makes feel alone. Often comes over me like a wave. I just try to shake it off and accept. It normally doesn't last long for me.

Ignore it and it will pass.

mamascrazy1985
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM
me too i try not to freak to bad but may i ask what is caffiene poisoning?

Robbed
09-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Speaking of unreality, I should add that if you are on medication such as an SSRI, this can actually CAUSE derealization. Or at least exacerbate it.

Varjo
09-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Yeah I understand that its best not to put a timeline on it. But for me it seems to help, infact everyday seems better. I just had a really good weekend were I only had about 2 hours of any anxious feeling during the whole weekend, usually I'd have it throughout most of the day, everyday.

I realize I no longer feel anxious except in the morning when I wake up or if I start to overthink my symtoms too much. Apart from that I mostly feel apathetic and unmotivated, which was also caused by the anxiety. But I feel that I can finally relax, and at least cope with doing normal things and not panic all the time. That's the important part for now.

As for the person who asked about the caffiene poisioning, it's basically when you drink too much of an amount of caffiene which causes the body (and mind) to react violently, making you feel sick, and causing a panic attack.

kathique
09-19-2010, 07:03 AM
I've had this feeling on and off, and for some weird reason it doesn't bother me. I figure it's just my body's way of putting life in slow motion so I can take in the 'threat'. I get this feeling even when I'm not anxious too.

shane007
01-23-2012, 06:10 PM
im 22 and ive been having bad anxiety lately, scary surreal feeling, sweaty palms, thinking im going to go insane, followed by mild pressure headaches and dizziness, sometimes fast heart rate. i hate it! it hard for me to enjoy a lot of things! im completely fine in the mornings and then midday-evening is when it starts every day for a week so far. i havent went to the doctors yet, but if i do will the medication really help or just make it worse? i would really like to know if anyone else is experiencing this and what can help!

Andrews
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I get that feeling fairly often.

Its never pleasant, I just feel like my existence is a bizzare and freakish random occurance (or something like that) and I have to wait for a few minutes/hours until I feel more myself again.

Writing about it has helped. (I think so at least)

alotofants
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I got that surreal feeling like every day, but i dont worry about it anymore ( i think ) becouse when u start doing something and stop thinking about it going back to normal really really fast.

ghall89
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I get that feeling a lot. I honestly don't know what causes it, but the body goes through a lot of changes when your in what I like to call "panic mode". My theory though has to do with how the body regulates the flow of oxygen while in "panic mode", when this happens your body wants to put as much energy and strength as it can into your limbs so you can either run or fight (the fight or flight response). To do this it temporarily reduces the flow of blood (thus oxygen) to your extremities (which is why your fingers can get numb or tingly) your stomach (which is why you can feel sick or gassy) and your head (which causes the dizziness and possibly the surreal feeling).

I'm no doctor so I'm not sure if that's all 100% accurate, but that's basically how my doctor explained it to me. I hope that helps.