PDA

View Full Version : New to Group - hello

mark32
09-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Hello - My Name is Mark and I am 32 years of age. I suffer from mild depression and anxiety. As i am writing this message i have taken a day off work too discuss mediation with my doctor.

Let me explain.

3 weeks ago my wife and I went on a holiday to Sydney to visit relatives. I ended up with chronic Gastro and an inflammed pancreas while we where there and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. During this time my medication ( Aurorix 150mg twice a day ) I thought was giving me chronic stomach pains so when i was let out of the hospital i stopped taking them ( Cold turkey) BAD MOVE. I have reciently started back on the right dose but am a bit of a nervous wreck at the moment. I cant leave work at work I cant sleep at night. I have that feeling in my stomach you get when your nervous and suffer from mild panic attacks. My company i work for know about my condition so i have been moved around to suit but i dont want to fail them anymore. When I was first on the medication my GP prescribed me xanax 1 mg to take when i felt this way and it helped me immensely. Should i ask the GP for some more while my body gets back to normal on the aurorix? My wife and I are expevting our first child in 7 weeks and I dont want to disappoint her and my family anymore than i feel i have

jlauren1
09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I have xanax on hand for emergency anxiety situations and it seems to be the only thing that works well for me. I think that if you need xanax then you should definitely get some as long as your doctor is cool with it.

mark32
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Thank you for the reply

Can i Ask the dosage you take? And how frequent?

forwells
09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Howdy fellow aussie

Drugs are not going to fix the problem i can tell you that . At best they will hide it and at worst they will make you worst .

Have you thought about going and talking it out with someone and find out what the true cause of the problem is

cheers kev :D

allysum
09-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Mark it sounds like you're getting support from family and at work which is utterly brilliant. As far as medication goes you should do what you feel you have to do to get through this. However, I think like forwells says drugs are not going to fix the problem, although they may temporarily take the edge off and help you face the next step.

And please don't be so hard on yourself. You twice mention not wanting to fail or let people down. It's not your fault you're ill and you haven't let anyone down.

Good luck.

jlauren1
09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I have .25's, which is super low but that's all I need and I take it maybe once every couple of weeks. I am in therapy and do all of the "right things" that have been recommended (i.e. exercising everyday, eating healthy, meditation) and even tried antidepressants at one point. The antidepressants did more harm then good but even with doing all of these things there are still times when I need relief. I agree that medication isn't right for everyone but I don't think there is anything wrong with taking something to help. People take medicine for many things and I don't think head stuff is any different as long as you aren't abusing it. Good luck to you!